The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 12, 2008, 11:10 AM   #1
ryan35reese

Yildiz

Lately I've been hearing a lot of praise coming out of the mouths of many a customer at the Academy I work at about these Yildiz over and under shotguns. They are very reasonably priced leading me to think that they couldn't hold there own against high to medium quality, top-notch brand over and unders. Do any of you have any experience using them or know anything about them that would help me understand a little bit more about them? Thanks
Old September 12, 2008, 11:36 AM   #2
IRock

They look nice on their web site, but they tell nothing about the receiver, any specs. or any usable information at all. I never heard of them otherwise.
Old September 12, 2008, 12:49 PM   #3
RoscoeC

The one I have is very serviceable. The receiver is aluminum, unless you buy the MX Clays model which sports a Stainless Steel receiver. The exterior of the barrels is black chrome plate and the bores are chrome plated which should hold up very well. The wood is usually nice-ish Turkish Walnut, some of them can have very nice wood.

I like mine. It has been totally reliable, shoots well, and looks pretty nice for a $399.00 gun. Will it hold up like a Perazzi, a Beretta, or an SKB? Probably not.

I got mine because I wanted to try out an over / under for skeet and sporting clays. It allowed me to do that for not much money. I have decided that I prefer Beretta 390's, and now have 2 of them. Because of the lightness of the Yildiz, and the fact that the O/U arrangement allows 2 different chokes, it will be doing upland bird duty in the future.

In my opinion it is a nice gun for the money. If you are going to run 1000 rounds per month through it, it probably won''t last long. If you are going to use it like most people use a shotgun (a couple hundred rounds a year), it will probably last longer than you will.
NRA Life Member
Old September 13, 2008, 01:08 PM   #4
IRock

You can do some reading here. Looks like they may have firing pin problems with many owners. http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...bc69ff6b1eb038

After some reading about these guns more on the shotgun forum it appears amny are having several other problems with some of them as well. It appears parts are hard to get as well and warranty work repairs are taking a looong time. You may want to read some of the posts there. Good luck.

Last edited by IRock; September 13, 2008 at 01:17 PM. Reason: more info
Old September 13, 2008, 03:39 PM   #5
chickenman

I own their .410 single shot and like it for $99 its a great "trunk" gun or something to throw around.
Old September 13, 2008, 04:54 PM   #6
zippy13

I'd be reluctant to get a new gun without reasonable parts and service availability. I know there's a contemporary concept of trashing things when they break (I haven't had a TV repaired in years), but I don't think it extends to shotguns, yet.
For target work, the Yildiz's on the light side and the triggers suck. The infrequent field shooter might not care about the triggers and appreciate the reduced weight after lugging it around all day.