The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 13, 2018, 12:46 PM   #26
All of my experience with Tupperware wheel gins has been positive. My first was a Taurus Judge Public Defender Poly. Great gun. Flawless function, surprisingly accurate with 45 Colt, and tight buckshot patterns @ 10 yards with .410.
My other is a Ruger LCR 38Spcl. I bought the 38 over the 357 because of the weight difference. The extra couple ounces in the Magnum was quite noticeable to me. My plastic Ruger is also reliable, and accuracy exceeds that necessary for a CC self defense
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 13, 2018, 03:35 PM   #27
When it comes to plastic guns.....I just say NO !
No plastic semi auto's , No plastic revolvers.
Stainless steel is acceptable and Air-weight J frames are allowed.
But NO plastic guns I don't care if I can print them on my 3-d computer printer app thingy.
Old March 14, 2018, 01:46 AM   #28
Polymer revolver opinions?

I have owned 3 LCRs, a j frame and a Charter. Shot lots out of all of them. All 38 except one LCR in 357. In my opinion they are all about the same in terms of recoil. The LCR is a solid gun. Best stock trigger in a snubby hands down. Strong and well built.
Ultimately two things led me to get rid of my LCRs.
First, although they are the same barrel length, the LCR is dimensionally bigger in most other areas than other brands of aluminum framed guns. Trigger guard, frame and barrel width, etc. are all bigger. Even though the spec sheet says the overall length, height and cylinder width is the same, the other non-standard measurements were all larger. Since i pocket carry, the larger dimensions were a little too big and i moved to the smaller j-frame.
Second, after tons of range trips and trying lots of different ammo (factory and my own handloads) i found that the LCR is not very accurate comparatively. Yes they all will group 3 inches at 15 yards but for some of my outdoor uses i wanted more. It took me a long time to figure out why i couldn’t group as well with three different LCRs than i could with my Charter or my j-frame, even though the LCR has a much better trigger. It’s the two piece non-tensioned barrel. Most larger framed two piece barreled revolvers (S&W TRR8, Dan Wesson) are tensioned so that the barrel vibrates consistently when a bullet runs down it which maintains accuracy. If it’s not tensioned, it negatively affects accuracy. Not a lot mind you, but a small amount. 99% of shooters won’t notice or care about this issue, because they’re shooting at self defense distances and the LCR really shines in that capacity, but for my particular circumstances i wanted the ability to make an accurate long distance shot, and not one of my 3 LCRs were up to the task (including a three inch adjustable sight LCR). So i went with a j-frame that i can group within 3 inches at 25 yards.
Old March 14, 2018, 06:17 AM   #29
... the LCR is dimensionally bigger in most other areas than other brands of aluminum framed guns. ...
The grips are the only place I really notice it being bigger but they do enough for recoil mitigation that I don't care. The LCR 38 still disappears with a pocket holster in most pants. The 357 and 327 models have a slightly larger frame but they basically follow the same rules as far as pants go.

i found that the LCR is not very accurate comparatively. ... Not a lot mind you, but a small amount. 99% of shooters won’t notice or care about this issue ... but for my particular circumstances i wanted the ability to make an accurate long distance shot...
I never noticed an accuracy issue but I have to be honest. I haven't shot paper in years. My shooting regimen largely involves aerating the recycling and other assorted doodads I can set up around the clearing on a weekend. I'm guessing any variance is much smaller than a soda can at 20-30 feet. I really don't ask any more of a snub-nosed revolver, much less a DAO.

I'd be curious to hear from anyone who has experience with the longer-barreled LCRx.
Old March 14, 2018, 08:54 PM   #30
I bought a Taurus Poly Protector in .38 Special for $150. Figured it would be good trading stock.

As it turns out, this crude, ugly, ungainly little hand gat will hit anything I aim at out to about 30 yards. I was impressed enough to keep it arou d.
You'll probably never NEED a gun. I hope you never do. But IF you do, you will need it worse than anything you've ever needed in your life.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old March 15, 2018, 10:03 PM   #31
I like plastic.I have many in revolvers and semi pistols.
USMC Vietnam Veteran,0311 Grunt.
6/68 to 7/69
Semper Fi
Old Yesterday, 12:14 AM   #32
44 AMP
I don't care for plastic on revolvers at all, and not a fan of it on semis, either, but then I look at things differently than most, I think.

Last ditch, bottom line, when all else fails (and it could) your pistol is an impact weapon. personally I like something with at least a little heft to it, for that reason (plus damping some recoil) and am willing to put up with, and carry guns that aren't the lightest possible.

just my opinion, and worth what you paid for it...
All else being equal (and it almost never is) bigger bullets tend to work better.
Old Yesterday, 05:01 AM   #33
My wife bought the LCR in .38 and it shoots accurate, functions perfect, however the felt recoil is harsh. Very lightweight and compact frame will have it's disadvantages.
"To be old an wise you must have been young and stupid"