The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 24, 2017, 06:57 PM   #1
Wheel-Gunner

Ruger SP101 3" DAO?!

I hope everyone is enjoying the sweet smells of summer.

Stopped by a local shop today to see what had been traded in. While perusing the revolver section, I noticed a 3" SP101 that was double action only, exactly like my 2" (factory). It is identicle to the spurless hammer on my 2", so it's not like somebody just removed the spur on a stock hammer. It is truly DAO as the existing spurless hammer cannot and will not cock back to single action.

Has Ruger ever produced a DAO 3" SP101? To my knowledge, no. So the gun must have been modified aftermarket?

The trigger is absolutely incredible, so it wouldn't surprise me if it also has a trigger job. The finish is also like chrome; somebody took the time to thoroughly polish every inch of this guy.

Needless to say, it followed me home and is awaiting an OWB Fist holster for carry. I would post a pic, but in all the years on these forums I have never bothered to set that up.
Old June 24, 2017, 06:59 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

Does it have an import marking on it somewhere? Sometimes unusual models were special orders placed by overseas customers. Awhile back a batch of used, DAO Ruger GP100s with 4" barrels and fixed sights came on the market. They had CAI import markings.
Old June 24, 2017, 07:17 PM   #3
Wheel-Gunner

Nope, no import markings or out of the ordinary markings I can see. I changed the grips out and there wasn't anything out of the norm there either.
Old June 24, 2017, 11:22 PM   #4
weblance

Ruger does some strange things at times, and doesn't catalog them. I doubt your 3" was factory DAO, but never say never with Ruger. Its a simple swap to change hammers, and there is nothing magic to making a DA/SA gun into a DAO. Its all in the hammer. I put my 2" DAO hammer into my 4" SP101 one time just to see, and it was a simple swap that functioned just fine. My guess is someone swapped your 3" spurred hammer for a DAO hammer.
Old June 25, 2017, 11:47 AM   #5
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheel-Gunner View Post
I hope everyone is enjoying the sweet smells of summer.

Stopped by a local shop today to see what had been traded in. While perusing the revolver section, I noticed a 3" SP101 that was double action only, exactly like my 2" (factory). It is identicle to the spurless hammer on my 2", so it's not like somebody just removed the spur on a stock hammer. It is truly DAO as the existing spurless hammer cannot and will not cock back to single action.

Has Ruger ever produced a DAO 3" SP101? To my knowledge, no. So the gun must have been modified aftermarket?
I believe fitting a spurless DAO hammer is something you can have Ruger do for you.
Quote:
Needless to say, it followed me home and is awaiting an OWB Fist holster for carry. I would post a pic, but in all the years on these forums I have never bothered to set that up.
Sounds like a very nice gun for some circumstances.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old July 11, 2017, 04:49 AM   #6
turkeestalker

My DC is my 3" 327 SP101 with the spurless hammer from my 2" 357 SP101 installed in it.
I just got to looking at them one day and tried swapping the hammers out, which worked.
I'll not say that it will work with any SP101 revolver out there, but it does with the two I own.
Could be that the previous owner was a bit of a goober like myself.
Old July 11, 2017, 05:44 AM   #7
buck460XVR

Could it be a TALO or Lipsey's distributor's special run?
Old July 12, 2017, 08:44 AM   #8
Laz

I've seen at least one of those that looked original some years ago at a gun show. Have no idea of the origins.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old July 13, 2017, 08:42 PM   #9
Slimjim9

Somebody was wanting a 3" DAO SP101? Here ya go!
http://www.kimberamerica.com/k6s-stainless-3

Oh wait :-D
Old July 13, 2017, 09:46 PM   #10
Wheel-Gunner

Oh snap!!!!

When is that 3" Kimber going to be available?!

Heck, I didn't even know there was one available. I have looked at the original several times, but never took one home because I'd rather have a 3". Just when I get the SP 3", this sucker comes along.

Sigh, I guess I may have to get the Kimber too.

So has the 3" Kimber been released? If not when? Has anyone actually seen one??