The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 17, 2024, 07:31 AM   #26
stagpanther

I just returned from overseas and did my first "restock" of desperation list items. Found Genix LR primers and snapped up a single box of 1,000; I don't especially like them but they are better than nothing. Scored Reloder 10x and 15 from PV--haven't seen those available in a loooooooong time but good grief they are expensive. H1000--indispensable for my big magnums--is also available for the first time in years--but at a very steep price. I did check my stock of power pistol and have a 4 pounder that I bought last year I believe.
Old March 25, 2024, 12:59 PM   #27
NWPilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by res45 View Post
I shot lots of Power Pistol in 9 mm, 45 ACP and 10 MM in both handgun and carbines. People say it flashy, but honestly I've never noticed, but I don't shoot much in the dark or during twilight hours.

It's one of my favorite powders for those calibers and has produced very accurate loads. I bought a lot of it when it was in the $30 range, and I'm glad I die, as it $50 a lb. locally these days. I'll have to check into the BE-86 as it much cheaper.

Same experience. When I’m shooting I don’t notice the flash. But watching someone else shoot it the flash is very noticeable. I may have to try loading closer to max charge weight. My loads are always several tenths grains below max mainly to not beat my guns up anymore than necessary. It would be interesting to see if max charges burn more thoroughly or slightly less powder than I currently use?
Old March 27, 2024, 06:02 PM   #28
Marco Califo

Midsouth Shooters Supply has BE86 8 lbs for $330

Alliant BE-86 Smokeless Pistol Powder 8 Lb
Alliant Powder # 150684 | Item # 137-150684
$329.99 ($41.25 per pound).
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...ol-powder-8-lb
Old March 28, 2024, 04:57 AM   #29
LE-28

Sportsman's Warehouse has Power Pistol in 4 lb jugs for $175 each if you have one close to you.
I use it in a variety of calibers and have liked it from the beginning. I don't notice the flash but I'm usually loading it in .357 Mag and loading under the minimum load from Alliant.
I have a lot of BE-86 also, I buy it in 8lb jugs but the last one I bought is hot and I'm in process of getting it tested now. I'm getting Alliant's Max published velocity with their starting charge in 9mm.
I have found out that with Power Pistol I can load under minimum and still have a very accurate load, and no flash to speak of with 158gr bullets.