The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 24, 2020, 07:15 AM   #1
Spats McGee
Staff

New .22 Day!

I posted this over at THR, but I'm still very excited, so for those of you that have not seen it, with a few edits, as the situation on scopes has changed.

Several months ago, I went to the range with my Two-Question FriendTM. Now, some of you may not know what a Two-Question Friend is, but everybody needs one. The TQF is that friend that you call at 3:00 a.m. when things have gone seriously sideways, and the TQF only asks two questions: (1) Where are you?; and (2) Should I bring tools or bail money? Anyway, he and I decided that it had just been too long since we'd gone shooting, so we agreed to meet up one Saturday morning at the Arkansas Game and Fish range in Mayflower, Arkansas. He wanted to go shoot .22s, as he'd picked up a couple that he was really digging.

So I packed up my Standard Issue 10/22 and my Ruger American Rimfire, and off I went. When he arrived, he unpacked his .22s -- a Ruger 10/22 and a Ruger American Rimfire. My buddy had always liked my 10/22, but it had taken him many years to get around to getting his own. But there was a big difference in our Ruger American Rimfires. Mine was the Standard model, albeit in a Copper Mica stock, as seen here:

His was a Target model, with the threaded bull barrel. Naturally, I stuck my Dead Air Mask on the end of it and went to town. I really, really liked it. Don't get me wrong, I still like my RAR, but there wasn't much question about whose rifle was more accurate.

So on Saturday, I went to the local gun show. I sold my Glock 19 and all of its accessories. I looked at a Hungarian BHP clone, a S&W M&P, a Beretta U22 Neos, but couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on any of those (as it were). There were no bull barrel 10/22s or RARs at the gun show. I looked high and low. So I decided to head to Don's Weaponry in North Little Rock, and lo and behold, for less money than I'd gotten for selling my Glock, was an identical rifle to TQF's, new in the box.

I've ordered an Athlon Optics Neos 3-9x40mm BDC Rimfire Reticle scope, along with some Warne rings. If I don't like it, I guess I'll put it up for sale, or just swap it around with one of my other .22s. I've really enjoyed the Nikon scopes I have on the other two, but I hear that Athlon has good glass, so I'll give them a chance. And of course, TQF and I have a showdown to attend to as soon as I get this baby zeroed!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Two Rugers 001.jpeg (102.5 KB, 371 views)
File Type: jpg RART 001.JPG (111.6 KB, 372 views)
Old September 24, 2020, 08:17 AM   #2
godale

Just like the other site I like it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old September 24, 2020, 08:55 AM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

Yep, and that's why I put "for those that haven't seen it" in the OP!
Old September 26, 2020, 11:53 AM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

I had my scope mounted today!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6383BF65-DD23-4C88-A262-B31F82087DC5.jpeg (807.6 KB, 1557 views)
Old September 27, 2020, 02:44 AM   #5
stagpanther

Very nice--look forward to some range reports.
Old September 27, 2020, 04:34 AM   #6
Spats McGee
Staff

And I'm headed to the range this morning to zero it.
Old September 27, 2020, 03:20 PM   #7
Spats McGee
Staff

I’m on my phone at the moment and will write up a full range report later. For the moment, suffice it to say that I am pleased. Here are some targets, with stats as follows:
Range: 50 yards
Temp: ~62*F (and gorgeous)
Wind: minimal
Rest: a big rubber block rest
Ammo: (1) Top Target - Winchester bulk, copper plated (2) Lower left - Winchester bulk LRN, circa 1985; (3) Lower right - same as lower left
Shooter: 51 y.o. paper pusher with 51 y.o. eyes
Scope: Athlon Neos 3-9x40 Rimfire BDC

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RART, FIRST TARGETS 001.JPG (103.0 KB, 214 views)
Old September 27, 2020, 04:38 PM   #8
stagpanther

Looks good. Lot's of other ammo to try.
Old September 27, 2020, 06:04 PM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

Shoot good.

Not to rain on your parade, but that schnabel is ugly.

I like this one better:
Old September 28, 2020, 03:35 AM   #10
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
Looks good. Lot's of other ammo to try.
Fortunately, I have a small selection to choose from. I'm going to enjoy figuring out what she likes.
Old September 28, 2020, 03:36 AM   #11
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4V50 Gary View Post
Shoot good.

Not to rain on your parade, but that schnabel is ugly.

I like this one better:
Not to rain on my parade, but just to rain on my parade?

Tags
.22lr rifle , ruger , ruger american