The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 1, 2011, 06:57 AM   #26
Doc Hoy

Z

Thanks, Z....

I think you are right or at least the logical person would declare you are right....

I will have a vehicle registered and titled in FL. I am working for a college with a Florida address. I will have a house in FL. I will be checking out all of the advantages for shifting residency. But since I am dealing with the government, I will assume nothing.

This is pretty far from the plack powder revolver way of life so I apologize for taking the thread so far afield.

Last edited by Doc Hoy; December 1, 2011 at 07:14 AM.
Old December 1, 2011, 01:31 PM   #27
OutlawJoseyWales

No problem Doc,
I like the personal stories myself.
Glad to learn something about you.

This is an awesome forum. It, and it's companion, are by far the best of any I'm on. It seems that B.P. people have a different view of life, maybe it's the historical nature of the firearms and their uniqueness, I don't know.
I've been helped here and treated better than on any other firearms board.

thanks again for the fun.
OJW
Old December 1, 2011, 02:44 PM   #28
Doc Hoy

Your have prompted me to address an historical issue

I will post it in a separate question in a separate thread.

But your reference to the history of firearms gave me the courge to address the issue
Old December 2, 2011, 12:46 PM   #29
Tanker6

...about residency...

...just a shot from the hip, but if you have a job in FL, have a home in FL with a proper mailing address, and you get a driver's license in FL, I think you've met any prerequisite for establishing residency.

Back when I served in the Army, everyone wanted to get stationed at Ft. Hood, Texas at least once. That way, at least for a few years, they could establish a residency in Texas (no state taxes) which they could then keep when they were transferred elsewhere.

I was born and raised in VA. While in college in NY State, I was provided a nice little bill from my county requesting a lot of funds (at least to a college student) for "Personal Property Tax." For those unfamiliar with this, the Commonwealth taxes you on your vehicles, RV's, etc. It ain't cheap. I wrote my commissioner explaining that while enrolled at college, I didn't drive on their roads or house my vehicle in the county more than 30 days a year. My commissioner actually got the law changed (for that county at least) so I didn't have to pay it. I was in military school, so he got around the potential loopholes by having it read "in military service" which included my status at the time. Everytime I got stopped for not having my nifty little sticker, I had to show my military ID though.

Tanker6
Old December 2, 2011, 02:11 PM   #30
Doc Hoy

Tanker

I agree.

My plan should be enough and I am going to do this stuff regardless. Getting a tax break through Fl residency would be a bonus
Old December 2, 2011, 02:52 PM   #31
zullo74

Doc,

I think, in your case, Florida residency will depend on how many days in the year you tell the Florida government you live and work in the state. I now think you have a chance at qualifying. Nothing to lose in trying! Good luck.
Old December 2, 2011, 03:09 PM   #32
mykeal

For income and property tax purposes, the principal residency requirement is very simple: how many days per year do you spend in the state. Doc: refer to my PM.

Better yet, consult a professional. Advice from internet lawyers is worth twice what you pay for it.
Old December 2, 2011, 04:19 PM   #33
Doc Hoy

Residency

Quote:
Doc: refer to my PM.
I did, I am, I will and I am grateful for it.
Old December 6, 2011, 02:23 PM   #34
Tanker6

Ok, I rescind my "shot from the hip" explanation regarding residency because I do not have a license to practice in the State of Florida.

Further, unless someone has a question regarding Federal or Texas state law, I will provide no comment, since this is the only state I am licensed to practice.
Old December 6, 2011, 04:29 PM   #35
OutlawJoseyWales

Don't worry Tanker, there's alot of people "practicing" in Florida without a license-you'd fit right in.

Great Hijack we got going here.
Old December 6, 2011, 06:46 PM   #36
zullo74

Tanker6,

Practice makes perfect!
Old December 9, 2011, 11:14 AM   #37
Doc Hoy

Just pressed the sight into the barrel

I had a sight from DGW for Pietta 1851 pattern revolvers. It works on the ASP like it was made for it.

Hmmm.....Maybe it was.
Old December 9, 2011, 04:52 PM   #38
LeadZinger

Doc,

Anyone moving to Florida and buying real estate is MOST welcome, and a black powder enthusiast is DOUBLY welcome!

A couple of things no one seems to have mentioned in this thread. You might want to bring your own Homeowners Insurance with you as what you get here is more expensive than the real estate you are buying. Our legislature used the Enron model when shaping the insurance industry in Florida, and most insurance companies seem to have used Bernie M. in a consulting capacity at one time or another. The second thing is - DON'T LET ANYONE WORKING FOR THE GOVERNOR OR LEGISLATURE KNOW YOU ARE IN EDUCATION. You will do better standing down range on a live firing range. You will soon realize how lucky you are not to be an anthropolist.

Next few months are the best shooting weather here, no high humidity, rain, or sweat to mess up your powder while loading. Hurry on down!
Old December 9, 2011, 05:48 PM   #39
Doc Hoy

Thanks Lead

....And welcome to the forum.

Actually I am looking at a condo and the association fees pay for the insurance on the structure.

I will need insurance on the contents but that is essentially renter's insurance.

I like the area.
Old December 13, 2011, 11:26 AM   #40
Gehrhard

Nice find.