The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 8, 2011, 09:52 PM   #26
Hawg

Yeah good, just overpriced.
Old December 8, 2011, 10:53 PM   #27
Hardy

They were not overpriced-the scarcity and out of production pushed up price for collectors. Value is based on supply and demand along with the principle of "substitution." Ask Doc. The value will go up if the demand stays strong and the supply is limited. So, if you spend an extra $100.00 you do have a pretty well made gun w/colt markings and extra finishing as compared to a mill thats cranking out pistols that will always meet demand and will have the supply and will continue meeting demand. Oh --got circus clown dilema again-sorry.

WBH
Old December 9, 2011, 01:57 AM   #28
Hawg

No you don't have CCD. I understand supply and demand but an extra 100.00 over what?
Old December 9, 2011, 07:18 PM   #29
Hardy

Well, Hawg I do have CCD on this thread. But I like being it Look up "J teal band" I played lead guitar on it and traveled w/ 2 sg 1968 gibson standard guitars w/ a vintage 50 watt Marshall amp. I made no red cent on the music that is still going on or the album. But--I'm the only Rock UN Star "HA" that shot bp guns There is a lot in common w/ hard rock guitaring and western guns. We competed w/ guitar slingers. In the late 60's and thru the late 70's lead guitarists were classified as guitar slingers. I was pretty good-but no CIGAR. The new music doesn't have guitar slingers anymore and most of us are now obscure! So-- visit the sites and listen to something that I did in the 70's. Also, I played in a band called Condor---and they had an album cover with a cowboy dropping a Griswald C/B that I never influenced (just a coincidence) on the cover. I had no influence or suggestions for art design. But it too is funny. Now, I'm not plugging a band done so many years ago--but I want you to listen to it anyway. I'm not an engineer or a gunsmith but I did love western guns since I was little. I had the Paladin. I had the Matell fanner gun--(GREAT GUN AT TIME FOR KIDS) And I always and still have Colt guns. I guess the 3rd gen
Colts got my attention back. We all have different talents and expertise. Being more artistic than mechanical, I guess I saw more in the name COLT stamped on the barrel than what it really was.
WBH
Old December 9, 2011, 08:11 PM   #30
Hawg

I understand the almost magical allure of the Colt name but just stamping the name on a gun doesn't make it a Colt. Now back to my last question, 100 bucks over what?
Old December 9, 2011, 08:56 PM   #31
Hardy

I sold an 1860 army unfired 3rd gen for 400. I sold an 1849 pocket for 390. I think that was about 100+/- difference. Maybe I can't get them anymore for a 100 difference now. I do know that Taylor & Co sell Uberti types 300+/-. I'll have to look for more but they just don't pop up --- And I didn't make A's in math either.

Sorry I was too impressed w/ colt on barrel. CCD got the best of me

I kinda like the CCD designation. Makes me a little different-don't it though.

WBH
Old December 10, 2011, 12:02 AM   #32
Hawg

Mebbo so. The last second gen I saw was NIB for 900. I don't usually buy Uberti's anyway with Pietta's so cheap. I have seen a few I'd like to have tho. That 51 you've got is one and I was trying to get up the money for it but I just spent four days in the hospital and another week off work and the holidays coming up so there goes that.
Old December 13, 2011, 07:56 PM   #33
Hardy

Hawg-- in 1985 -I played guitar on studio album that producer put this pic on it. Is this a Griswold?

WBH
Old December 14, 2011, 05:39 AM   #34
Hawg

Brass frame G&G, steel frame Leech & Rigdon.