The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 14, 1999, 12:41 PM   #1
ATTICUS

I inherited a Parker Bros. and would like to find out what model it is. It is a 12gauge SxS with exposed hammers and damascus barrels. What other identifiers are needed to make a positive I.D.?
Old October 14, 1999, 02:03 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Atticus,

Can you provide all the markings, barrel, underneath barrel, water table, breech, and also info on any engraving. Also condition, amount of bluing on barrels, condition of receiver finish and case hardening color.

Contrary to popular belief, few Parkers are actually rare. Ones in top condition bring nice prices, mainly because most were used and used hard, in the field and in duck blinds.

Jim
Old October 14, 1999, 02:21 PM   #3
ATTICUS

Thanks Jim,I'll inspect it tonight and make some notes.
What is the water table?
This gun was used and severely abused by at least three generations of my family. I refinished the stock and re-blued it (not plum) becaused it looked so bad (lot's of small dents and rust, little engraving). It is a neat gun but is only of sentimental value to me. I have a copy of the 1998 Blue book and would simply like to find out which model it is.
Old October 15, 1999, 08:33 AM   #4
ATTICUS

Jim Keenan: Here goes, Top of barrel -Parker Brothers Meriden Conn. Damascus Steel****
Bottom of barrel- Two # 4's and letters D & C Pat'd June 25,1878- another pat'd April 11,1876***
Locking lug has a # 1 on it. ****
Top of forearm marked, pat'd March 1878****
Bottom of fore arm marked with Serial # 58655****
Bottom of breech dated 1875 (birds in circle barely visible)****
Top of breech- one side marked Pat'd April 11,1876 and Sept3, 1872****
other side is marked with a #3, Serial # 58655, and pat'd Mar 16,1875.****

Damascus "swirls are visible but faint on most of the barrell. Bird dogs are visible on both sides of the breech. Other markings ansd "scrollwork" are visible but faint in places.

Thanksfor your help. Dave