The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old December 15, 2021, 04:15 PM   #1
dahermit

Why so long without submissions?

I am tired of seeing the Bullet Casting forum with no new entries for such a long time.

I don't have any questions, just though I would "poke" this area to see if it will stimulate people to post.

Here are some of my heavy .44 caliber bullets that I powder coat and load in my .44 Special.

This is what I shoot them in (pre-lock M696). I have been thinking about selling it because it is very hard on old hands even with minimum loads.
Its a beauty, but need less recoil in my life now.
I have shown you mine, now show me yours.
Old December 15, 2021, 05:53 PM   #2
Butzbach

Fear not brother!

I’m dealing with some bicycle repair issues currently but I’m fixin’ to smelt some roof vents and window leading into Linotype alloy ingots. Then I’m going to cast a ton of .357 158 gr SWC.

Then the hunt for small pistol primers will commence in earnest.

Are you a member on the Cast Boolits forum?

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/forum.php

I am banned there but it is the last word in Cast Boolit and reloading info.
Old December 15, 2021, 06:50 PM   #3
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butzbach View Post
I’m dealing with some bicycle repair issues currently but I’m fixin’ to smelt some roof vents and window leading into Linotype alloy ingots. Then I’m going to cast a ton of .357 158 gr SWC.

Then the hunt for small pistol primers will commence in earnest.

Are you a member on the Cast Boolits forum?

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/forum.php

I am banned there but it is the last word in Cast Boolit and reloading info.
Yes, I am a member of both castboolits and The Cast Lead Bullet Association and have been for years.
Old December 16, 2021, 08:50 AM   #4
Wag

Castboolits is a great resource. Some very knowledgeable people over there. Sorry you were banned. That sucks.

--Wag--
Old December 16, 2021, 09:56 AM   #5
USSR

Quote:
Why so long without submissions?
Yes, sad to see. However, bullet casting guys like us are a minority on this site. Thanks for posting.

Don
Old December 24, 2021, 10:07 AM   #6
res45

Well, I received my new Arsenal five cavity 454 230 Grain RN – H&G 34 clone a couple of weeks ago and cast up about 300 bullets to powder coat and do some load testing with on my Ruger P-90 and Hi Point carbine in 45 ACP. I'm up to around seven 45 ACP molds now.

I've been laid low the past couple months due to all my family except me having gotten Covid all at one time, they are all fine now. Then I had surgery and that took me about a month to recover from and get back to work, so I haven't done much of anything lately reloading and casting wise.

I hope to get out and load some of the new Arsenal bullets tonight and do some shooting tomorrow, suppose to be in the lower 70s here.
Old December 25, 2021, 11:06 PM   #7
Targa

Here are a few of my cast bullets:

MP .430 250 grain Larson and Lee 200 grain .452

Lee .309 150 and 170 grain

Arsenal 400 grain .476
Old December 25, 2021, 11:17 PM   #8
Targa

A few Lee molds at work:

.452 300 grain

.358 158 grain

.457 400 grain

.430 200 grain

.452 200 grain

.309 170 grain

.476 400 grain

.430 240 grain
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C437F1DC-237A-4F53-95C3-93D4D82FCD72.jpeg (96.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpeg EB483F3C-3EA3-4000-A1C7-9C7398042181.jpeg (114.1 KB, 21 views)
Old December 25, 2021, 11:24 PM   #9
Targa

Here is a H&G #50, I love this mold

And on of my MP .356 124 grain reloads
Old December 25, 2021, 11:29 PM   #10
Targa

A few more of my cast bullets loaded up, the SWCs on the left are .358 158 grain from a MP mold. My wife wanted some that were pink lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4BABD37E-E479-4B91-A3DA-12E3CF0389B2.jpeg (99.5 KB, 24 views)
Old December 25, 2021, 11:35 PM   #11
Targa

MP molds are just outstanding. This is the Larsen again, the bullet profile does not work in my S&W 629 but is excellent in my Ruger Blackhawk and Redhawk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E3FE51C4-2543-4D86-A396-4A39D60478E3.jpeg (78.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpeg 5CE30461-5BD7-4583-944E-BF359008690F.jpeg (145.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpeg 3888E772-26BF-4ADD-BE28-F0206E2BFCD8.jpeg (520.8 KB, 22 views)
Old December 26, 2021, 10:06 AM   #12
Ike Clanton

I painted some 300 blk and .458 Socom rounds last week. Eastwood satin black applied with a powder coat gun.
Old December 26, 2021, 10:47 AM   #13
Mike / Tx

Guess I'll throw in as well. My oldest grandson and I have mainly just been going through what I cast over the past couple if years. Turns out I may have been a bit enthusiastic about the actual shooting I had planned on doing, and even after loading 500 or more for several calibers we still have a half dozen or so 10-20# boxes yet to aize and load.

That said we have changed parameters with the Lee pot and been pouring up a bunch of 1/8 and 1/4 Oz jigheads for white bass fishing. The wife and I have taken in my three grandsons 12, 14, and the oldest 20 now and in Jr college. The two younger boys, the oldest and I put some to use yesterday and put 40'ish nice 12-15" ones in the cooler along qith a hundred plus throw backs.

I've just had other priorities lately and those boys are tops.
Old December 27, 2021, 08:56 PM   #14
armoredman

After the divorce I relocated to a place with no garage, no place to set up the lead pot. However, my research partner's mother is setting up a reloading room for me in her carport, complete with open air but covered side area for casting. When it gets done and I get set up, I will happily post pictures all over.
Old January 13, 2022, 06:09 PM   #15
gwpercle

I'm glad to see interest in casting ... I'm an old fart , started casting in 1967 and glad to help anyone with whatever I've learned . My problem is I have a desk top computer but no camera / cell phone to take photo's with ... I'm casting knowledgable but computer ignorant .
All my submissions will have to be sans photo's and I know that sucks ...getting old sucks but I couldn't stop it .
With the price and availability of bullets ...anyone with access to a bullet mould is ahead of the game .
Years ago I made sure to have bullet moulds , reloading dies and a stock of powder and primers for every firearm I own , might own or wanted to own and I have moulds and dies for guns my friends own but they themselves don't reload ...they come to my shop and I help them .
I've always enjoyed casting bullets and untill recently had a free unlimited supply of wheel weights ...but my buddy retired from the tire business 2 years ago ... I put away a nice supply before he retired .
I'm glad to see interest ... I'll try and post something relevant or add to the commentary !
Gary
Old January 13, 2022, 07:32 PM   #16
rodfac

Glad to see some activity as well...I'm a regular poster over at Castboolits as well....

Just getting nervous about my local tire shop wheel weights source...I'm down to about 20% of those they supply being pure lead stick on or lead alloy. By far the majority are steel or zinc...hate to buy from Rotometals as the cost really comes into play.

I shoot on my own range here on our farm but have never "mined" the berm. A 2.5 foot square of 1/4" hardware cloth would get the majority I'd guess. Maybe time to get my grandkids involved...fully gloved and outfitted of course...

Here's the winter view of my range setup.

YMMv, Rod

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old January 15, 2022, 07:39 PM   #17
Beagle333

I guess mostly because I cast like a madman for about 4 years and I still have piles and boxes of cast bullets to use up.
I have a couple of tons of raw lead left to cast, but I really haven't needed any new ones in a while, even though I also share mine with friends. I'm sure that my couple of hundred molds are lonely. Maybe I'll crank up the pot again when Spring gets here.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old January 17, 2022, 01:04 AM   #18
armoredman

A buddy brought over a bucketload of bullets and wheel weights...I don't even HAVE a smeting setup, and the casting setup is nowhere near ready...
Old January 17, 2022, 06:38 AM   #19
Mike / Tx

Well like I mentioned earlier we been casting, just a little different type. These are however being used to put meat on tha table ...

That said we also have been using up some if the bulk I, like Beagle, poured up and just never got round to loading. I think we put up around 1k of HG-68 for the 45s, another 1K of a couple of MP 640 somethings in 357, 41, and 44's.

Oh and turns out that powder coating thing which is all tha rage, has a ton of alternative uses...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 46281.jpeg (584.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpeg 46286.jpeg (534.7 KB, 18 views)
Old January 28, 2022, 09:29 PM   #20
Shadow9mm

Every time I have posted here I keep getting told to go to castboolits... Its kind of depressing. I would love to see our casting section flourish. I have been getting into casting for a few months now. Tried LEE liquid Alox, Home mixed bullet lube, and now powder coating. Getting into Gas Checks as well. Got a couple lee molds. Just got my first NOE, came in today. Had to get brass, no aluminum or steel available.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg NOE mold.jpg (162.5 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg 20220113_144330.jpg (265.3 KB, 185 views)
Old January 29, 2022, 11:38 AM   #21
Wag

I know what you mean about being told to go read somewhere else. About the same as being told to "Google it."

Sometimes, it's just a question of not wanting to type in a long answer that exists elsewhere. I don't see a huge problem with that. Not to mention, I use three different gun forums for different reasons. Each one serves a different purpose.

Make no mistake, any time I see that I'm able to answer a question, regardless of any actual value I add I'll answer it here.

--Wag--
Old January 29, 2022, 11:39 AM   #22
Wag

And by the way, nothing wrong with brass molds.

If you want, try Tom at Accurate Molds. He makes some great molds!

--Wag--
Old January 29, 2022, 07:00 PM   #23
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wag View Post
And by the way, nothing wrong with brass molds.

If you want, try Tom at Accurate Molds. He makes some great molds!

--Wag--
I would have preferred aluminum. Its lighter. it does not tarnish. Other than that its a beautiful mold. I ordered a 5 cavity aluminum, I called and talked to him and he said he had one on the shelf. I ordered it and a month later no mold. I gave him another call and my order had apparently been mis-placed and he did not have any more. He offered to set up nd run me one, but stated he wad having trouble getting stock to make the molds and was not sure how long it would be, or I could have the 4 cavity brass for the same price I took the brass.

Its a beautiful mold, I'm super happy with it so far. Hoping to do some casting monday or tuesday.
Old January 29, 2022, 07:04 PM   #24
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wag View Post
I know what you mean about being told to go read somewhere else. About the same as being told to "Google it."

Sometimes, it's just a question of not wanting to type in a long answer that exists elsewhere. I don't see a huge problem with that. Not to mention, I use three different gun forums for different reasons. Each one serves a different purpose.

Make no mistake, any time I see that I'm able to answer a question, regardless of any actual value I add I'll answer it here.

--Wag--
The thing is, I generally have googled it, or read up on it already. However putting things into practice can be a bit of a different story and its nice to be able to talk to some people to trouble shoot, or make sure your doing things right.

I have been on other forums in the past and just did not like the culture. I have found lots of good info on castboolits, but I'm not familiar with the people there.
Old February 1, 2022, 11:30 AM   #25
Wag

Yup. Every board under the sun, including this one, has a unique culture. Usually, I judge them based on how they handle trolls. If they allow a lot of troll activity and troll-baiting, I'm out.

--Wag--