The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 14, 2020, 08:15 AM   #1
cdoc42

What a blast!!

I have been using a Lee Loadmaster for about 30 years for handloading .44 Magnums. The most common problem has been primer feed hangups, causing the need to dismantle the affair and re-adjust the primer pin. In the process, the plastic feed device is damaged, and Lee has replaced 3 of these over that period of time, at no cost. The last device was an improvement, supplied in red color rather than white.

For a few years now, there have been no problems. The other night I produced 40 rounds or so of an anticipated 50, and I reflected upon the smoothness of the operation. Five rounds were in the various stages and as I pulled the handle down it met with resistance. That usually means the first case, to be deprimed, is not quite aligned in the shell holder, so I finger adjusted it and pulled again.

BAM!! A primer detonated! This is the first time in 44 years that I had such an experience. Fortunately, there was not a chain reaction detonation with the remaining primers in the system, and the only damage was a melt-down of the end of the device where the primer is set to be inserted into the case.

Even though I cannot explain how this happened, it brings to one's attention the need to be alert, no matter how many years this hobby is under your belt. There's always adversity waiting to happen.

As an aside, I most often load with the RCBS Auto Priming System and while loading .45 APC and 9mm, I found resistance to primer entry, traceable to smaller primer pockets in some .45 APC (I didn't look to see the manufacturer) and the need to swage the pockets of "Blazer" 9mm factory rounds (but I just trashed them). So take care if you pick up brass at the range......
Old November 14, 2020, 09:09 AM   #2
coonbait

glad to hear that nothing serious happen, I know that it would have scared the crap out of me, never had it happen to me, ''yet'', in 35+ years reloading. as for the small primer pocket on 45 acp it seems most of the ones I found are Blazer or Fed. cases, I separate them from the large pocket ones. I loaded some up and they work well.
Old November 14, 2020, 03:10 PM   #3
cdoc42

coonbait, I ditched the small primer pocket ones. I have about 1000.45 ACP cases and I don't want to take the chance that I miss one and try to stuff a LPP into a SPP pocket- I might get yet ANOTHER "Blast!!" Once was enough!
Old November 14, 2020, 03:27 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
As an aside, I most often load with the RCBS Auto Priming System and while loading .45 APC and 9mm, I found resistance to primer entry, traceable to smaller primer pockets in some .45 APC (I didn't look to see the manufacturer) and the need to swage the pockets of "Blazer" 9mm factory rounds (but I just trashed them). So take care if you pick up brass at the range......
Blazer Brass uses small primers, and so does Winchester NT.
Jeepaholic
Old November 15, 2020, 08:34 AM   #5
Mike / Tx

Yeah one SP case in a batch of LP can certainly mess up a pair of drawers
Old November 15, 2020, 09:21 AM   #6
jetinteriorguy

Been there done that, luckily I didn’t have to change underwear. I haven’t used my Loadmaster for a couple years now due to a few issues I just got tired of dealing with. I don’t shoot as much and now being retired I have more time to just do all pistol loading on my Lee Classic Cast turret. The turret is so simple and easy to use I just love it and feel much safer using it compared to the Loadmaster. When I build my new bench the Loadmaster will not go back on.
Old November 15, 2020, 10:32 AM   #7
cdoc42

jetinteriorguy, I'm starting to think the same thing. I finished up those .44 Mags but the powder measure started screwing up. Every now and then I'd get a case with about a 10% fill. Tracked it down to the powder measure moving such that the chain link activator would not move into position. I was loading 29.5gr (Max 30.0) and noticed one looked a bit more than usual. Weighed it and found 31.3 gr.

Less trouble using my RCBS RockChuker.