The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 16, 2013, 12:53 AM   #51
shredder4286

Quote:
If you read my posts about electronic dispensers, you'll see I'm against them
I hear ya, man. I just get tired of hearing "why don't you just spend 1/2 a fortune and get this contraption?".

Quote:
Now you don't have to spend top money to buy a great scale but you certainly do not want a cheap inaccurate one either.

I don't use a top dollar one but it isn't the cheapest either. I like my Lyman 1000XP. I have had it for a few years and I think they run around $130 today.

Brian Enos sales a cheaper one on his site for around $75 that people really like. It even has something like a 20 year warranty. He also has a top German made scale for around $135 with a life time warranty.
Even $75 is out of my price range. I just simply don't have that much money to put into it. And now that reloading supplies have become scarce, their cost has went up as well. Guess I'll be dry-firing a lot more this year
Old April 16, 2013, 05:24 AM   #52
rebs

I have read that fluorescent lights can affect a digital scale, how is that ?
I have been using a Franklin Arsenal digital scale for about a year and it has always been within .1 of a grain. I never notice any effect from the fluorescent lights in my basement where I reload.
Old April 16, 2013, 06:49 AM   #53
Farmland

Then by all means get the Frankford Arsenal DS-750, however you can save the most by just using your balance beam.
Old April 16, 2013, 07:36 AM   #54
Unclenick
Staff

Rebs

If you get close enough fluorescent lamps can affect most unshielded electronic scales through RFI (radio frequency interference) that is broadcast through the air from the lamp tubes, but most often it is scales that plug into a wall that are affected, and that's by EMI (electromagnetic interference) which often has lower frequency components than RFI, but that are higher frequency than 60 cycles and that is being carried by the power lines. Both are due to the fact fluorescent bulbs have a plasma arc inside that doesn't draw current in a completely smooth way, having small lurches and stalls (noise) that are superimposed on the current average. This noise is coupled capacitively between the ballast windings into the power lines, and can travel some distance down them before dissipating. In your scale this noise contaminates with weight sensor signal.

Motors with brushes make even stronger EMI than fluorescent lamps do, but the cure is the same: you need an EMI filter. Most people use an old computer UPS (uninterruptable power supply) with a dead battery. Plug it into the wall and the scale into the UPS. These have a filter built in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder4286
So, do the baffles for the hopper just keep some of the powder above a certain spot, therefor making your charges more consistent? I saw the drawings in your pdf file, just confused about exactly what purpose the baffles serve.
The powder level in a measure gets lower as you fill cases. This reduces the weight of powder feeding the metering chamber in the measure. In general, when that level is high, the powder is more easily packed down by vibration. It is less so as the level gets lower, tending to make throws with a low powder level lighter than they were when the level was high. These are the reasons you see some folks recommend keeping the powder level low and just adding to it constantly to improve consistency.

What the baffles do is handle that task automatically. They do this by holding back most of the powder column weight above them, and they limit vibration effect by making the powder move down and then sideways to get to the metering chamber, which breaks some of the packing up. Adding a baffle can cut variations in half pretty easily, and two of them in tandem is like adding another layer of filtering to the charge weight noise. Just keep them at right angles so both layers of powder under them have to flow sideways.

Re, your scale. There is a fellow who tunes balance beam scales. Used to charge $20. Roughly triples the sensitivity and repeatability. Scott something. You can search him out on You Tube. But the main thing is to get one of those circular plastic bubble levels from Lowe's and get the thing leveled and on a steady, vibration-free surface. Keep static electricity and drafts away from it. If need bu, disassemble and clean and make sure no iron filings have got into the gap between the damping magnets and make sure the knife edge and the notches that set on it are clean and free of oil.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 16, 2013, 07:51 AM   #55
wogpotter

Quote:
I have read that fluorescent lights can affect a digital scale, how is that ?
Did you ever see the video of the guy holding unplugged flourescent tubes standing under a power line & they lit up?

Similar (but reversed) effect. The "spill" from pulsed a/c current can introduce variatioins into the current generated by the load cell, faking out weight changes. Also as said electronic "noise" in the a/c line has a similar effect.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old April 16, 2013, 08:17 PM   #56
shredder4286

Quote:
The powder level in a measure gets lower as you fill cases. This reduces the weight of powder feeding the metering chamber in the measure. In general, when that level is high, the powder is more easily packed down by vibration. It is less so as the level gets lower, tending to make throws with a low powder level lighter than they were when the level was high. These are the reasons you see some folks recommend keeping the powder level low and just adding to it constantly to improve consistency.

What the baffles do is handle that task automatically. They do this by holding back most of the powder column weight above them, and they limit vibration effect by making the powder move down and then sideways to get to the metering chamber, which breaks some of the packing up. Adding a baffle can cut variations in half pretty easily, and two of them in tandem is like adding another layer of filtering to the charge weight noise. Just keep them at right angles so both layers of powder under them have to flow sideways.

Re, your scale. There is a fellow who tunes balance beam scales. Used to charge $20. Roughly triples the sensitivity and repeatability. Scott something. You can search him out on You Tube. But the main thing is to get one of those circular plastic bubble levels from Lowe's and get the thing leveled and on a steady, vibration-free surface. Keep static electricity and drafts away from it. If need bu, disassemble and clean and make sure no iron filings have got into the gap between the damping magnets and make sure the knife edge and the notches that set on it are clean and free of oil.
Ok. That's quite a creative way to get some more consistency out of your powder measure.

As far as the scale, I may just have to heed all advice given about the physical elements surrounding it and see if I get better results. I'll let you know how it turns out once I get my loading bench all set up. (Just moved and everything is still in boxes) Thanks again Uncle Nick
Old April 17, 2013, 01:45 PM   #57
wncchester

"What's a good, but cheap digital scale?"

IME, "good" and "cheap" are mutually exclusive terms.
Old April 18, 2013, 02:07 AM   #58
shredder4286

we've been down that road already, old buddy
Old April 18, 2013, 10:54 AM   #59
GWS

Uncle Nick mentions a "tuned" scale by "Scott." Scott Parker is his name and he prefers phone calls, so he can explain which scales he can work on. It seems that there was a 10-10 scale produced in Mexico for a time that was untunable. He wants to make sure you don't send him one of those....look on your box. I think the price now is $65, but that includes shipping....he also sells 10-10's already tuned.

Quote from Scott:
Quote:
What if you could have a beam scale that was sensitive to a single kernel of powder? No drift, no cell phone disturbance, no barometric pressure changes etc. If interested, please contact me. I tune beam scales.

Scott Parker
[email protected]
661 364-1199
Here's a YouTube link that shows a tuned one's sensitivity: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=IG49AA1OKIk

Last edited by GWS; April 18, 2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old May 5, 2013, 06:34 PM   #60
G1R2

All electronic devices eventually fail

Never have I had an electronic device which didn't fail. They are not made to last forever. And they usually fail at the wrong time.

GET A 5-0-5 and forget about the new electronic age.
Old May 6, 2013, 02:02 AM   #61
shredder4286

Quote:
GET A 5-0-5 and forget about the new electronic age.
Did you bother to read any of the original posts of this thread? I already own an RCBS 505.

The electronic age is here, and here to stay. Until some nuclear fallout/world war happens, I'll be enjoying my new digital scale for reloading.