The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 16, 2021, 10:12 AM   #26
SouthwestORV

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinert View Post
Congrats! I killed my first elk, a spike, at around 70 yds. with my 6MM Rem (on par with your .243) and used a 100 grn. Rem core lokt factory round to get the job done. He was facing me, and my shot just below his chin dropped him on the spot. This was back in the very early 80's, using my Ruger M77 tang safety. Pretty new rifle back then. Still have it, still use it, but not for elk anymore.

Seems you know your rifle and skill set very well! Well done!
Thanks! My favorite part is that you still have your rifle, and it evokes those memories.
Old January 16, 2021, 10:13 AM   #27
SouthwestORV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack O'Conner View Post
I have great respect for the .243 as a hunting cartridge. Several pronghorn antelope and 2 mulies have been felled using my Remington .243 rifle loaded with 95 grain Nosler bullets. None got away!

Thank you for sharing your experience!

Jack
A man with lots of first-hand experience! Well done. We have a lot of antelope around here - you got my wheels turning.
Old January 16, 2021, 10:18 AM   #28
SouthwestORV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdscholer View Post
A guy who can keep his shots on a pie plate at a hundred yards with his 243, will kill elks deader than a guy with a 338 who can't. jd
Here's more detail to my hunt story - when I first rounded the bush and spotted the herd, my adrenaline took off. I sat down slowly and took aim off my knee, but my heart was beating so HARD that I could not keep the crosshairs on the cow! So I sat back, and watched the herd for a minute while I talked myself down, "Chris, calm down. Why are you nervous? You see elk all the time, why is this any different?" Etc. Then got back on the gun and placed the shot. I will also add that I am a regular target shooter, and my very first sight-in outing with this rifle I shot the best group of my life, using Federal 100gr power-shok ammunition. My Tikka loves this blue box stuff, like 1/4 MOA loves this ammo. I couldn't be happier, because it's $17/box, it's hunting ammunition and this is my hunting rifle.
Old January 18, 2021, 07:36 AM   #29
GeauxTide

My old departed BIL shot several pickup loads of deer with an old Win 88 in .243. Bullet technology in 1970 wasn't that good on the new Winchester Power Point and Remington Core Lokt and many failures occurred. He had a friend that used one and loaded a 95gr Speer Hot Core. They never had a deer run off.
Old January 19, 2021, 06:14 PM   #30
HiBC

Agreed bullet construction is important.

I know a Woman who uses a 243 and another who uses a 257 Roberts. Both take elk .

I found when I replaced my primary hunting rifle (7mm Rem Mag) with a 257 Roberts AI,two things happened. Shooting became far more comfortable. That translated to havng both my eyes open and watching the crosshairs rest on a spot on the ribs. I tended to shoot better. You don't need all that much horsepower to punch through ribs and make soup of the heart/lungs.

The other is a sense of limitation. With a lighter cartridge,I have it in my mind that I do not have to pull the trigger. If I have a marginal shot,I can wait.If that means the critter walks,at least I have no regrets.

That said, I also have a 30-06 or even a .375 Taylor available.

I believe in using "enough gun" and I don't support stunts with underpowered rifles at the animal's expense.
That said,I do not consider the 243,responsibly used,as "A stunt with an underpowered rifle"
Old January 19, 2021, 06:39 PM   #31
SouthwestORV

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBC View Post
Agreed bullet construction is important.

I know a Woman who uses a 243 and another who uses a 257 Roberts. Both take elk .

I found when I replaced my primary hunting rifle (7mm Rem Mag) with a 257 Roberts AI,two things happened. Shooting became far more comfortable. That translated to havng both my eyes open and watching the crosshairs rest on a spot on the ribs. I tended to shoot better. You don't need all that much horsepower to punch through ribs and make soup of the heart/lungs.

The other is a sense of limitation. With a lighter cartridge,I have it in my mind that I do not have to pull the trigger. If I have a marginal shot,I can wait.If that means the critter walks,at least I have no regrets.

That said, I also have a 30-06 or even a .375 Taylor available.

I believe in using "enough gun" and I don't support stunts with underpowered rifles at the animal's expense.
That said,I do not consider the 243,responsibly used,as "A stunt with an underpowered rifle"
Well put.
Old February 12, 2021, 08:15 PM   #32
langenc

Now one needs a cannon cause too many think 500 yards is a close shot... RC 20 (post #4)
Old February 12, 2021, 08:49 PM   #33
jmr40

Quote:
Now one needs a cannon cause too many think 500 yards is a close shot... RC 20 (post #4)
Well, it seems a 243 is good for nearly 700 yards.

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....rds-243-a-572/

Still yet, I'd prefer something with a bit more bullet than a 243. IMO a 243 on elk is analogous to using a 223 on deer. It'll work, but given the option I'd prefer something starting at 26 caliber with bullet weights of at least 130 gr.

But no, a cannon isn't required.

Winston Churchill
Old February 12, 2021, 11:39 PM   #34
Kreyzhorse

Great photo. Nothing better than this.

Tags
243 , elk