The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 4, 2001, 10:34 PM   #1
Gmandas

Walther ppk/s; Magazine Hangs

I just bought a used walther PPK/s. I went to the range with Winchester ammo. While at the range I bought PMC ammo. When I cleaned the gun this evening I noticed the magazine hangs (is hard to remove) in the gun after the first round is chambered and there are still rounds in the magazine. The problem is the next round in the magazine has moved forward. I did not attempt to release the magazine at the range and there was no problem operating the gun.

Did I do something to the gun when I cleaned it?
Is it the PMC ammo?
Do I have problem?

Thanks for any help!

Greg
Old November 5, 2001, 08:47 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Greg, it could be that it's just new and the mag catch is stiff or has a burr on it. You might try polishing the catch. George
Old November 5, 2001, 08:21 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

No, it's nothing you did. Many, if not most semi-autos magazines allow the next round to move forward this way. This can make removal of the mag, "sticky".
Unless you start to have faliures to feed or other stoppages, I wouldn't worry about it. My Kahr, PPK/s, and all my S&W autos did this. Never a failure on any of them.
Old November 5, 2001, 08:25 PM   #4
Gmandas

George,

I just bought it but it's a used piece. The other thing is it didn't happen before I switched ammo and/or cleaned it.

When I cleaned it I took the firing and chamber detector pins out. I believe I replaced them correctly, but the detector pin spring had a flat section about half as long as the spring itself. This threw me for a loop. I belive it goes forward and up to keep the pin pressed down in it's oblong slot. Frankly I don't know how this could effect the magazine, but I don't believe in coincidences.

What I noticed hanging the magazine is the next round moving forward far enough to start up the ramp but not interfere with the round being chambered.

Is there something that holds the next round in the magazine from moving forward or do I have the wrong ammo?

Greg
Old November 5, 2001, 08:29 PM   #5
Gmandas

Dfarriswheel,

Thanks

Greg
Old November 5, 2001, 11:07 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

I agree with Dfariswheel, it is a common situation. I doubt you could do anything with the slide to cause that problem, but I might now mention that disassembly of those parts is not recommended by Walther and is almost never necessary.

The ammunition could be part of the problem, if its extractor groove or a crimping groove is being picked up by the slide or its bullet shape allows it to move forward more.

Jim