The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 1, 2023, 11:46 PM   #1
Kram

AR-Comp and 62gr fmj

Hey fellas, I haven't been able to find any data for this load.

I'm using starling 5.56 brass. #41 primers, AR-Comp powder and Hornady 62gr FMJ projectiles. My fuzzy math says 24.0-24.2 to start.

Does that sound about right to you?

Thank you
Old April 2, 2023, 12:39 AM   #2
Marco Califo

I do not use fuzzy math. I also (still) have all 10 digits and both eyes.
Powder maker: https://www.alliantpowder.com/
You will see different data depending on the on-line data or downloading the 2023 Reloaders Guide, or the Products: AR-Comp: All Loads: 223. Curiously, Alliant seems to avoid 62 gr bullet weights. The one they list (on-line load lookup) is for Speer 62 gr FMJ using Reloader 15; none for AR Comp with 62 gr.
The specific bullet manufacturers may also have load data. Speer tops out at 23 grains for same weight+shape: https://www.speer.com/reloading/rifle-data.html

Last edited by Marco Califo; April 2, 2023 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Add
Old April 2, 2023, 12:56 PM   #3
Kram

Thanks for cleaning up your original post.

Like you found out, the Alliant site doesn't even come close to 62gr bullet load data. None of my Reloading Manuals have any data for 223/5.56 using AR-Comp. I checked Hornady site but couldn't find anything there.

The next time I'm at my reloading store (Phillips Wholesale) l'll take a look at the Hornady manual. I find myself using more and more of their bullets.
Old April 2, 2023, 01:06 PM   #4
Marco Califo

Quote:
I checked Hornady site but couldn't find anything there.
They SELL their reloading data in manuals or guides.
I am not impressed with Alliant's data or annual guide. They really seem to avoid providing data for copper bullets, too.
But, Hornady tries to get you coming and going: you have to buy there bullets, then buy their data to use them. My best resource is the Hodgdon Reloading Center (which includes IMR, Accurate, Winchester, and Ramshot powders), but they do not have Alliant data. Speer load data is the best source for Alliant hangdun data.
Old April 2, 2023, 01:39 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Get data FIRST. THEN, buy the bullets. IF you don't have/can't get data for those bullets, then use other bullets you can get data for.

Same for powders. Don't buy stuff first and then hope you can find data. It's usually a poor idea.
Old April 2, 2023, 01:51 PM   #6
Shadow9mm

According to my Hornady manual with a 62g bullet for AR-comp
223 max is 23.4g at around 2900fps out of a 26in barrel
5.56 nato data shows a max of 24.6g at around 3100fps out of a 20in barrel

On a side note, you can get the Hornady app for your phone. you can buy the entire manual for around $20, and individual cartridges for $0.99. Its not a subscription, its a straight purchase. It does require internet connection to work, either cell data or wifi.

To second 44amp's post. Always check you manuals and load data before buying powder and or bullets. buying stuff and then trying to find a way to make it work generally ends with poor loads at best.
Old April 2, 2023, 02:52 PM   #7
Kram

Thanks fellas,

I've got plenty of different powders, calibers and projectiles, including the stuff listed in the OP.

I just thought that I'd load something different, darn rain just won't stop. Getting data first is why I asked. I couldn't find those 2 combos anywhere.

It's too bad you fellas have to get so defensive. Your assuming and we know what happens when people do that.

Last edited by Kram; April 2, 2023 at 03:30 PM.
Old April 2, 2023, 03:57 PM   #8
Marco Califo

I do not think any responses were defensive. What we have seen are cautious reactions to "fuzzy math" estimating loads rather then relying on published data.
Old April 2, 2023, 05:48 PM   #9
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram View Post
Thanks fellas,

I've got plenty of different powders, calibers and projectiles, including the stuff listed in the OP.

I just thought that I'd load something different, darn rain just won't stop. Getting data first is why I asked. I couldn't find those 2 combos anywhere.

It's too bad you fellas have to get so defensive. Your assuming and we know what happens when people do that.
"fuzzy math" is an assumption in and of itself, which is why i admonished caution. Just trying to be clear you should never be guessing/assuming (fuzzy math) when it comes to load data. Happy to help find published data though.

Last edited by Shadow9mm; April 2, 2023 at 10:14 PM.
Old April 2, 2023, 08:37 PM   #10
Kram

Quote:
Happy to help find published data though.
Thanks brother, that's all I asked for....

It's too bad, this was a pretty good site a few years ago. I can see why things are slow.
Old April 2, 2023, 10:12 PM   #11
Shadow9mm

Things have been slow of late, glad im not the only one to have noticed it.

I find many many disagreements here come from poor communication. Poorly worded or ambiguous questions. But as you said also assumptions or different perspectives or interpretations.

I generally try and ask questions to clarify and ensure im on the same page as the OP. But many times things take odd turns and go down rabbit holes and get so tangled up its hard to get a word in edge wise to get the actual question answered or problem solved.
Old April 2, 2023, 10:14 PM   #12
Kram

Quote:
On a side note, you can get the Hornady app for your phone. you can buy the entire manual for around $20
Thank you

I got my granddaughter to help me download it from Amazon (Kindle)

Now I don't have to worry about pages falling out.
Old April 2, 2023, 10:16 PM   #13
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram View Post
Thank you

I got my granddaughter to help me download it from Amazon (Kindle)

Now I don't have to worry about pages falling out.
Good deal. Hornady is probably my favorite manual. Not to mention its cheaper than the hard copy. Thats more bullets you can buy
Old April 27, 2023, 10:47 AM   #14
Nick_C_S

Quote:
According to my Hornady manual with a 62g bullet . . .
I have Hornady's 9th and 10th; and I can't find anything on a 62 grain bullet. I looked under 223 Remington; 223 Remington Service Rifle; and 5.56 NATO. Nothing.

??
Old April 27, 2023, 08:22 PM   #15
9MMand223only

Shadow, what you are saying, does not make sense. You are basically saying, that without load data, you cannot reload.

You don't actually believe that, do you? Look at Alliant Reloading data. It has "zero" loads for many, many weight bullets, and only has "1" type of bullet per load, of the few they have.

So what you are saying, and you don't recommend, is that you CANNOT USE Alliant powder, UNLESS you have the exact same bullet they have in their load data. Which still doesn't make sense, because you have no idea what capacity the brass they used is, and 223 brass varies as much as 1 ENTIRE GRAIN in powder, to get same velocity and pressure.

What I am saying is accurate. You don't need load data, you can make it. Because basically almost EVERYONE who buys Alliant powder already does this.

ALso, older people know, that in the 1970's, load data was not SAAMI and super higher pressure in many cases. And load data was scarce. So people just start low, "exactly like I am saying" and work up. This is basics in the past.

But its kind of like kids today. they can't even change a lightbulb or fix a toilet. But 40 years ago, nearly everyone could fix basic things. etc etc etc.
Old April 29, 2023, 07:50 PM   #16
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_C_S View Post
I have Hornady's 9th and 10th; and I can't find anything on a 62 grain bullet. I looked under 223 Remington; 223 Remington Service Rifle; and 5.56 NATO. Nothing.

??
Using the 11th edition. But i have 10th as well. Both editions had 62g loads with ar-comp. I am using a digital edition, not hard copy. I wonder if it has more loads than the hard copy does?

Last edited by Shadow9mm; April 29, 2023 at 08:02 PM.
Old April 29, 2023, 07:53 PM   #17
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9MMand223only View Post
Shadow, what you are saying, does not make sense. You are basically saying, that without load data, you cannot reload.

You don't actually believe that, do you? Look at Alliant Reloading data. It has "zero" loads for many, many weight bullets, and only has "1" type of bullet per load, of the few they have.

So what you are saying, and you don't recommend, is that you CANNOT USE Alliant powder, UNLESS you have the exact same bullet they have in their load data. Which still doesn't make sense, because you have no idea what capacity the brass they used is, and 223 brass varies as much as 1 ENTIRE GRAIN in powder, to get same velocity and pressure.

What I am saying is accurate. You don't need load data, you can make it. Because basically almost EVERYONE who buys Alliant powder already does this.

ALso, older people know, that in the 1970's, load data was not SAAMI and super higher pressure in many cases. And load data was scarce. So people just start low, "exactly like I am saying" and work up. This is basics in the past.

But its kind of like kids today. they can't even change a lightbulb or fix a toilet. But 40 years ago, nearly everyone could fix basic things. etc etc etc.
What I am saying is that, working up a load from scratch is unnecessary and probably foolish given the amount of good load data and things like GRT and QL that we have these days. Your better off hunting down the data than heading into the weeds trying to reinvent the wheel.

Last edited by Shadow9mm; May 2, 2023 at 05:10 AM.
Old April 30, 2023, 07:33 PM   #18
Unclenick
Staff

9MMand223only,

I removed your post for ignoring the posting requirements clearly laid out in this sticky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9MMand223only in deleted post
loading like 5-8% over SAAMI is not dangerous
After posting the required warning, you needed to state clearly that this is your personal opinion and experience, and it would be better to note this opinion is not shared by the firearms industry, as the whole purpose of SAAMI and CIP limits is to publish the numbers the industry agrees on both for the safety and the longevity of all guns in good condition that are chambered for the ammunition. Yes, those guns withstand proof loads, but not a steady diet of them, so one has to consider a normal load should be within a safe steady diet limit and that this limit will be lower than the pressures the gun can maximally withstand.

We have, more than once, had reports of individuals with guns showing signs of extreme stress while staying within published load limits, indicating that even those maximum published loads can occasionally be too high for a particular gun and need to be worked up to from the starting load to account for all possible problems that come from gun and component lot variations. We've had reports of commercial ammunition, like some Federal magnum rifle loads having their spent primers fall out during ejection due to expanded primer pockets, and yet they are loaded within the SAAMI limits. So even those aren't low enough for some components. Clearly, they would not be OK with the percentages of overload you suggest are perfectly safe.

The increases you proposed, depending on the powder and bullet combination, will increase peak pressure by as much as 26% if the loads are perfectly prepared and fired in constant conditions of ammunition ambient temperature and barrel temperature. The problem with assuming the safety of a generalized overload percentage is it is not backed off to make room for any of the pressure variation allowances the SAAMI system makes allowance for, such as the further pressure increase that comes with aging an ammunition lot nor for the statistical outliers within an ammunition lot that will show up every once in a while.

The bottom line is that a blanket statement like yours may be true a significant portion of the time with a significant percentage of guns and gun conditions but may not hold true for all guns under all conditions. Your load development worked out OK in your guns, but unless you have tried the same load in dozens of different guns in the same chambering, you don't have a statistically significant sample from which to generalize. You have anecdotal evidence but not definitive evidence.

So, in the future, please include the required warning from the sticky. With that, you can state what you've found to be true in YOUR guns, but please indicate that it may not work out in others, especially if they are older and fatigued, to begin with.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle