The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 7, 2017, 07:13 PM   #1
'88Scrat

New M1 Garand Barrel

I took my M1 to a gunsmith that I really trust today and he confirmed what I've been fearing for a while now; my barrel is shot out. I first started noticing that the accuracy diminished considerably from when I first got it and then did the HXP test (inserting an HXP round point first into the barrel) and the muzzle swallowed everyhting up to the case neck. He busted out an erosion gauge and needless to say the reading was bad... real bad... a bore light (something I don't own oddly enough) shows the true extent of the wear.

So, my M1 needs a new barrel. That sucks but I've been limping it along for a while now. He suggested Criterion as a good replacement. He even said you can send in your rifle and they will do the work for you, headspace and all that.

I looked at Criterions' website and I figure if the CMP sells and uses them they must be doing something right. But which one would I need? There are like 4 options in just .30-06 alone. Is it worth it to get a chrome lined barrel? I know most modern military firearms do have a chrome barrel but if memory serves the Garands did not.

I'm not looking for a collector grade firearm, my M1 is already mostly a Frankengun anyway. But I don't think this is something I want to skimp on either.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old September 7, 2017, 08:27 PM   #2

I can't answer your question but I have the same question, so I am awaiting an answer.

This is ironic because my barrel has been shot out for years. I used to complete in matches with it, but I moved away and I might have fired it once in the last five years. For some reason, within the last two or three days I looked into getting it rebarreled and had the same questions as you do.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old September 7, 2017, 09:18 PM   #3
LavaTech

)

A standard Criterion ( or Bula Forge/Defense ) barrel is every bit as accurate if not more so than the last generation of USGI contract barrels produced, and at their price point are just astounding. You really can't go wrong, and there's really no need for chrome lining, IMHO.

Replace, finish ream and enjoy!
Old September 8, 2017, 05:31 AM   #4
1stmar

I have a criterion 308 barrel in m1, shoots fantastic. It was installed by cmp. I would. It hesitate to reuse. It is not chromelined, nor does it need to be imo. Cmp will also install it.
Old September 8, 2017, 10:10 AM   #5
smee78

I have heard nothing but good things about the Criterion barrels and would feel just fine about using them as a replacement.
Old September 8, 2017, 10:57 AM   #6
kraigwy

I have Criterion Barrels from CMP on two of my M1. An older one I got in 1980 from the CMP that I shot out, and one on the M1 I built in the CMP Advanced Maint. Class. I wont use anything else on my US Surplus Rifles.

If you go to one of the CMP Traveling games and buy one there, they will put it on for you at no extra cost.

I'm also going to buy one for my M1903A4 hoping to get a few more X's at 600 yards.

They are easy to install and headspace, if you have the tooling. Reamers & Gages.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 8, 2017, 09:37 PM   #7
jrothWA

I rebarreled an M1, using a Douglas ChromeMoly in 7.62.NATO.

try em.
Old September 8, 2017, 11:16 PM   #8
Tad_T

My Springfield CMP Special Field Grade (.30-06) came with a brand new Criterion barrel. I've only had it about three weeks. I've got to zero it and shoot a few clips through it, but I have to say that is a very accurate rifle. I don't see anything wrong with a Criterion.

I bought it to be my shooter and it looks like it is going to be a good one. I have no idea why that rifle was classified as a Field Grade. Any pitting on it is minuscule and and almost all of it is hidden.
Old September 10, 2017, 12:48 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

"...which one..." What are you doing with the rifle? What's your budget? CMP wants $189.95 for an unfinished chamber, Criterion. Douglass wants $320 for a match grade unfinished chamber barrel. Plus the cost of installation. Neither are the only game in town either.
Old September 10, 2017, 02:50 PM   #10
1stmar

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...arand+gunsmith

Post 11 and 12. This is routine for my garand w criterion barrel. No need to spend any more IMO.