The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 6, 2011, 01:59 PM   #1
George Rome

Johnson automatic model 1941

I purchase a Johnson in 1977 for $40.00 I shot it a few month ago it fire flawlessly held 10 round but the bolt does not stay open on the final round or the bolt is closed & does not stay open unless I prop it open is this a defect? I bought from a X marine who was in the battle of Okinawa he told me it was his issued rifle Sn-3396 with no prefix letters. It is in real good condition I shot it better than anything I own at 100 yards. I just wonder what is the problem with the bolt is? I have read that some earlier models bolt did not stay open. Is this true? The one plate has a number Sn 263. I can send you photo if this gun.
Old December 6, 2011, 03:27 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

While a few (23) Johnson M41's were in Marine hands on Guadalcanal, I very much doubt any were still around by the Okinawa battle in April-June 1945.

As for the hold open, early Johnsons had some problems in that area but by the time of the Dutch contract (the Marines got their Johnsons from the Dutch contract guns that had not been delivered) the problems had been corrected.

If the bolt does not hold open, I suspect a broken/worn/missing bolt catch.

BTW, should you choose to sell that rifle, I suspect you might be able to make a small profit on your $40 investment.

Jim

Last edited by James K; December 6, 2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old December 7, 2011, 09:01 AM   #3
cougar gt-e

Quote:
BTW, should you choose to sell that rifle, I suspect you might be able to make a small profit on your $40 investment.
Yep. I'd offer him $45 sight unseen!