The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 29, 2011, 10:26 AM   #1
tpcollins

In .243, 70gr Nosler VT versus 70gr Sierra Blitzking

In .243, I've reloaded 70gr Nosler Varmint Tip and I thought they grouped better than the 75gr Hornady V-Max. But has anyone tried the 70gr Sierra Blitzking for .243?

In my .204 Ruger, it seemed the 39gr BK grouped a bit better than the 32gr Nosler VT, I admit the BK has a better BC but was wondering how it compared to the Nosler VT in .243? Thanks.
Old April 29, 2011, 11:27 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I haven't compared those particular bullets, but my general experience is that individual guns like some bullets better than others, and giving a particular bullet a try is the only way to learn whether your chamber will prefer it or not. I wish it were more broadly predictable. You'll improve the probability of getting a valid response if your information comes from someone who has the same model rifle you do, but even that's not a guarantee.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 29, 2011, 12:27 PM   #3
dunerjeff

.243 sierra

Don't give up on one bullet because of one loading. I,ve personal used 80gr or 75gr varminter(can't remember right now )in a Rem. VLS and my first several loads I thought were horrible,but I had 100 bullets so I kept trying and finally I hit paydirt, My combo was fireformed(not new brass)nickle plated winchester brass,I think 43gr IMR4350((DON"T TAKE THAT NUMBER AS CORRECT)I'm guessing right now, I'd have to look at my data)),the varminters ,.012 off lands, WSR primers. I could get 5shot groups of 1.125 at 300yrds, yes I said 300yrds.10 shots where usually 1.5. This was from a bullet that I thought didn't shoot well out of my gun. MOST times you can pick a bullet that you want to shoot and trial and error find a good combo. Not always, and some barrels simply won't.The other thing is what twist rate is your barrel, that will generally decide what grain bullet will shoot the best.
Old April 30, 2011, 01:35 AM   #4
Jim243

My standard load for 243 is a Hornady 105 grain A-Max with H-4895 powder. That is the only combo I will use in my Savage 243, great groups.

Jim