The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 3, 2016, 07:55 AM   #26
oldreloader

I like it for 9MM with 147 gr lead bullets.
Old April 3, 2016, 08:23 AM   #27
rodfac

Mike Irwin et al. ... Based on your comments, I tried an entry level charge of #7 with my own cast version of Lyman's 358156GC weighing in at 160 gr and sized 0.359".

The group through my S&W M19 .357 Magnum was phenomenal...6 rounds through a ragged hole at 22 yds from a sitting position. I'm estimating the velocity at 1100 fps from the 4" bbl and it was less than an inch, center to center; the best that gun and these old eyes with it, have ever done...and especially satisfying because the winds here in KY yesterday were gusting to 30 knots...never thought to try it in a .357 before.

Thanks for the tip...Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old April 3, 2016, 12:03 PM   #28
Mike Irwin
Staff

There is definitely a lot to like about AA 7. It's clean, and it provides excellent accuracy.

I really liked it in my 10mm when I still had it, and I really like it in my .41 Mag., as well.

I just picked up a .40 S&W (Smith Model 410) yesterday. If I start loading for it, I may go AA 7 all the way.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 3, 2016, 01:15 PM   #29
SHR970

Quote:
zplinker wrote: For the record, Accurate No. 7 was originally developed for the 9mm.
To be more Accurate it was developed for Uzi Subgun loads. For those who recall... IMI UZI ammo feratured a 158gr RNFMJ bullet. That number is not a typo. That ammo could make over 1000 fps from an uzi. Best part is you were running near to compressed loads.

Running heavy for caliber bullets in high pressure semiautos is one place this stuff REALLY works well. Unlike BlueDot.. it is not peaky. It has tolerated overbook loads in a 357 w/ 158 gr JHP w/o disassembling my SP101.