The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 30, 2016, 02:27 PM   #1
Blindstitch

Shotgun Warranty

I was looking at some budget over under shotguns to some of the higher end budget guns and was wondering what's up with the warranties.

Mossberg has a Silver Reserve 2 and the warranty is 10 year.
Stoeger has a Condor line and the warranty is 5 years
Cz-USA has Canvasback, Redhead and Wingshooters with 5 year warranty.
Beretta has a 1 year expandable to 3 if you register it on their site.
I can't seem to find Brownings warranty information.
Winchester says they don't have a written warranty.

So why are these $400 to $1000 guns providing better warranties than the $1600-2200 guns. I understand that any of these guns could be used as a boat paddle and that wouldn't be covered?

Yeah the lesser are Turkish and Brazilian vs European.
Old April 30, 2016, 03:26 PM   #2
jaguarxk120

It's very easy-- if you use better materials, better workmanship and proven designs, the guns don't come back.

If a gun should be returned with a problem, the problem is fixed.

Look at Dillon and RCBS reloading tool makers. Dillon will rebuild their presses
no matter who owns them.

RCBS break a die part and they send you a new part.
Old April 30, 2016, 05:33 PM   #3
Virginian

My opinion is that the makers of less expensive guns are hoping you buy their gun because of the warranty. Make you feel "safer".
Old April 30, 2016, 06:36 PM   #4
FITASC

I prefer a gun that doesn't need a warranty. I have a Browning O/U. Bought new in 1994, at 90,000 rounds, it needed some new springs. At 300,000 I relegated it to the safe as I like my Beretta semi because of the shims for a better fit. No warranty work ever needed. Will your Brazilian, Turkish, Philippine O/U gun make that round count without issues?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa

Last edited by FITASC; April 30, 2016 at 06:46 PM. Reason: correction
Old April 30, 2016, 06:53 PM   #5
jaguarxk120

New springs at 90,000 rounds! Now that's a deal breaker for sure.
Old April 30, 2016, 06:57 PM   #6
FITASC

Yep, cost me all of $90 for the smith to replace all springs, firing pins, and tighten the top lever which and moved to center.

Buy a quality gun and shoot some and the cost of ammo and targets or hunting licenses will far exceed the cost of the gun. 300,000 rounds over 20 years - when you factor targets and ammo, my house would have been paid off a long time ago and there'd be a pair of Mercedes in the garage.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 30, 2016, 09:02 PM   #7
Blindstitch

I realize the Tommyboy answer is...
https://youtu.be/a5dpBpaFiMo

Just seems a quality product might at least throw a competitive number of years of care even though they know their product won't need it.

I also like the reloading reply but Lee also replaces everything that breaks no question asked.

I could really use some more used Brownings or Berettas in my area. Been checking shooting clubs but not seeing much. Maybe I have some higher expectations but I want at least 28 inch barrels, selective trigger, 3 inch or greater chamber and screw in chokes.

Seem like the only Berettas I see used are Bl-3's.
Old April 30, 2016, 09:52 PM   #8
FITASC

BL3s are WAY outdated; new SP 1s are about 1700, used can be about 1200 or less and will last a lifetime or three

28, 30, 32 inch barrels, choke tubes, all with 3" chambers

Look on www.gunsinternational.com
Old April 30, 2016, 11:48 PM   #9
Blindstitch

I had to pass on an SP 3 years ago when I didn't have much money. It was 98% and the guy was going to trade it in and Gander Mountain only wanted to give him $600. He said I could have it for $700 but I didn't have that much spare cash at the time.

Yes I kick myself a lot over it.

Gander currently had a Citori (cant remember which one) for $1600 and it fits/points nice (now $1800) but for $1999 I could get a really nice SP.

My wallet or wife really likes the $1000 price tag a lot better so I have been checking out the used market.

I might go check out this one tomorrow but I don't really have to buy anything immediately. It's a future investment of hunting fun.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/gun-l...dsPerPage%3D80

The goal is a pheasant, grouse, duck, goose, turkey gun that I can shoot sporting clays with my friends. I don't seem to like semi auto and often find the 3rd shot just a waste shooting at air out of range. I take care of my guns so I figure a 30 year investment.
Old May 1, 2016, 06:11 AM   #10
eastbank

over the life of a good shotgun, ammo will end up costing far more than the firearm its self, plus a good firearm will hold its resale value better. my low end shotgun is a win 1300 turkey and they are not top shelf, but i only shoot 5-7 shells a year and with a .640 turk choke tube its sure death out to a honest 40yrds. eastbank.
Old May 1, 2016, 08:32 AM   #11
FITASC

Gander is one of the WORST places to actually BUY a gun - great for showrooming like BASS and Cabela's. Try your local gun clubs (trap/skeet type) to see if someone has for sale or post a WTB ad on their bulletin board. Otherwise, gunsinternational.com, gunbroker, and the usual similar places should get you a better deal.
Old May 1, 2016, 10:49 AM   #12
NoSecondBest

Quote:
I prefer a gun that doesn't need a warranty. I have a Browning O/U. Bought new in 1994, at 90,000 rounds, it needed some new springs.
I had three new Browning Gold Sporting shotguns that needed a warranty. All three of them would not feed the first round out of the tube into the chamber as they were "designed" to do. Great promo, poor results. Simply couldn't use them in the flush or flurry events because of that. Went back to the Beretta's I had been using. Any gun can use a warranty, even the big name guns.
Old May 1, 2016, 04:49 PM   #13
FITASC

I was talking about O/Us - less moving parts and less need for repairs - in MOST cases................
Old May 1, 2016, 07:14 PM   #14
Blindstitch

Found a semi local shooting club that has a nice used Browning Citori on the shelf for $999. The fit wasn't bad but the shop was closing so I emailed them for more details.

It's has 2 3/4 and 3 inch Special Steel on the barrel with screw out chokes. The stock has a few scratches but not that bad for what I want.

I checked out the cabelas one and the in store price was something like $1450 and it looked and fit pretty good but if I can get the other and save I'm sure I'll be happier. I didn't really need a carry box with it.

Maybe the shooting club will send me the serial so I can date the shotgun.

Is there anything out of the ordinary that I should look at with these that might go wrong?
Old May 2, 2016, 01:30 AM   #15
Virginian

Many states have laws that greatly affect warranties. As usual the government cannot get anything right, so there is a mountain of red tape. Ruger specifically does not offer a warranty, limited or otherwise. They just say they want happy customers, and if you have a problem to contact them. They have a very good record of customer service.
Old May 2, 2016, 07:38 AM   #16
FITASC

Quote:
Is there anything out of the ordinary that I should look at with these that might go wrong
Big box stores are notorious for having high prices on used guns; you might try posting a WTB ad on the bulletin boards of your local trap/skeet/sporting type of gun clubs.

As to what to look for - things that are loose, especially when the action is closed. Top lever should be right of center - the more to the right, the better. Triggers should be crisp with little to no creep. Barrel selector/safe should move easily and do its job - on safe, trigger will not fire; as a selector, you can easily choose between top and bottom. It should come with a selection of choke tubes. Check to make sure the rib is solidly in place and isn't bent.

I'm sure others will have tidbits to add.\
Good luck in your quest.
Old May 3, 2016, 03:00 PM   #17
Blindstitch

Well it came down to a new CZ-USA Woodcock, Used Browning Citori or waiting.

The Browning Citori won. It feels good and the used price was $999. Lock up was nice and tight. When I checked the serial for age it turned out to be a 2014 model so after a few shots on an unfamiliar sporting clays course it came home with me.

They had all the paperwork, original box, barrel locks, and a few choke tubes so I think I got a pretty good deal. It has a few scratches but i'm sure I would do them in the field just the same.

Last edited by Blindstitch; May 3, 2016 at 03:07 PM.
Old May 3, 2016, 04:34 PM   #18
eastbank

you did well and at a very good price. now go shoot the hell out of it. eastbank.
Old May 3, 2016, 05:59 PM   #19
Blindstitch

Yeah I'm excited. I have a few pictures that don't do it justice. Most of the things that look like scratches are light reflections.

Old May 3, 2016, 06:36 PM   #20
FITASC

Thanks for the pics! Now go enjoy it................
Old May 3, 2016, 07:11 PM   #21
Kreyzhorse

A longer warranty doesn't mean better. Ruger for example doesn't offer a warranty on their guns at all. Taurus offers a lifetime warranty but a quick search will tell you who has a much higher rated customer service. Hint: it is Ruger.

You get what you pay for and if it sounds too good to be true, it is. You made a wise choice with your Browning. Hope you enjoy it.
Old November 2, 2016, 04:17 AM   #22
Blindstitch

Ok so I can't leave well enough alone and after getting my Browning I decided I needed a shorter grind to fit recoil pad, drilled and tapped a midbead, and added sling swivels.

Then I had to wait all the way till October 15th to see now well my new shotgun was going to be in the rear world. It didn't take long to realize this gun is almost 100% what I needed. If the rear stock fit just a bit better it would be perfect.

But here's a few photos from the field.

Wisconsin bag limit is 2 per day except opening weekend where it's 1 per day. So far i'm at 14.
Old November 2, 2016, 12:29 PM   #23
dgludwig

Nice looking shotgun-with some pretty wood to boot. Imo, the used Browning was a better deal than the new CZ. You did good.

I enjoyed looking at your photo with the roosters but I'm left wondering-where's the dog?
Old November 2, 2016, 01:17 PM   #24
Blindstitch

You know I get that question all the time. I don't have a dog but wish I did. I work really hard for what I get and some may laugh or think i'm crazy but until I find a pet friendly apartment or buy a house I'm dogless.

When I take my friend Kas hunting and people ask he says that we take turns being the dog.
Old November 2, 2016, 01:30 PM   #25
dgludwig

QUOTE: "...until I find a pet friendly apartment or buy a house I'm dog less."

Being dogless is being man's best friendless. Time to get cracking.