The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 4, 2009, 11:59 PM   #1
bowtekhunter

blacktail boundary

i was wondering what the deal with the boundary of scoreable blacktail deer is? i herd that east of a certian line (california,oregon,washingtion) the blacktail cant be scored in boone&crockett because they are no longer consiterd a "pure" blacktail and have the possibility of interbreeding with mule deer. Has anyone herd of this?
Old November 5, 2009, 10:06 AM   #2
tyrajam

It's way to far west in my opinion, but they want to make sure there is no possablility of mule deer interbreeding. Here's the B&C range for Oregon:

http://books.google.com/books?id=OhF...age&q=&f=false
Old November 5, 2009, 11:53 AM   #3
longranger

West of I-5 is Blacktail East of I-5 Mule deer.
Old November 5, 2009, 11:57 AM   #4
davlandrum

ummm, I don't think I-5 is the line...

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old November 5, 2009, 11:04 PM   #5
bowtekhunter

yah i herd I-5 was the line too it just seemed way to far west, seems like it shuld be a little farther east to me, the cascades offer some amazing deer hunting, i geuss this only matters if ur lookin for record
Old November 6, 2009, 03:08 AM   #6
fast-eddie

Seems in Northern part of Oregon and Washington that the cascades are the line. We are getting some interbreeding though.
Old November 6, 2009, 04:33 AM   #7
tyrajam

I posted the link, here is what the actual border is:

"Beginning at Multnomah falls on the Columbia river, the boundary runs south along the western boundary of the national forest to tiller in Douglas county, then south along highway 227 to highway 62 at Trail, then south following 62 to Medford, from which the boundary follows the range line between R1W and R2W, Willamette Meridian, to the California border."
Old November 6, 2009, 11:41 AM   #8
davlandrum

I read the description on your original link, but honestly that is not very helpful....

If by the "western boundary of the National Forest" they mean the Willamette National Forest, then it is east of I-5 by quite a ways.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old November 6, 2009, 12:22 PM   #9
tyrajam

Yeah, looking at a NF map its a little more helpful, looks like it follows the western edge of the Mt. Hood NF, then the Willamete NF, then the Umpqua NF until it cuts way east just N of grants pass, and then it follows a pretty straight line through Medford and to the border.

I can't believe B&C came up with this line, its so random and confusing I would have thought the DNR had come up with it for sure!
Old November 6, 2009, 03:01 PM   #10
davlandrum

LOL, I am sure ODFW could have come up with something even more confusing...after all, they work for the government!

Old November 7, 2009, 04:07 PM   #11
Tomas204

Well I have the small eared Mule deer with black tails ,oh BTw they are really small too
Old November 7, 2009, 06:24 PM   #12
longranger

Yes, I-5 is the line per Boone & Crockett and Pope & Young, might not be your line but it's there's for the record.
Old November 8, 2009, 04:23 PM   #13
tyrajam

Hey longranger, just because your friends uncle's nephew's grandpa told you it is I-5 doesn't mean it is

According to B&C, it is the line we have already showed you. Here is the official B&C link http://www.boone-crockett.org/BgReco...area=bgRecords

Since you can't cite any sources you should probably drop your I-5 mantra.