The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 20, 2009, 08:50 PM   #1
spleify

Magnum primers VS standard large pistol primers

Hi all, I am curious to see if someone can shed some light on this subject for me. What is the difference/benefits/disadvantages, of using a standard large pistol primer(CCI300), over a magnum primer, or vice versa.
For my use I reload my .44 mag pistol loads and use CCI300 large pistol primers. Should I be using magnum primers, or are they kept for a different application.

Thanks as always.
Old August 20, 2009, 09:00 PM   #2
DiscoRacing

mag primers are a hotter primer...one has to work with various primer/powder to find the best combo.... mag will work with some powders better than reg...and reg will work better with some powders...trial and error....more or less
Old August 20, 2009, 09:01 PM   #3
Gun 4 Fun

Magnum primers send out a hotter, longer lasting spark, that ignites hard to light powders like most of the ball powders like H-110, 296, AAC#9, etc.

You don't need them for light to mid range loads in the .44. You shouldn't ever use the powders I just mentioned for mid-range loads. Always follow the loading manuals advice on what primer they used to work up their data.

Alliant doesn't recommend using magnum primers for 2400, though a lot of guys are under the belief that they need them for that powder, since they are shooting magnum loads.

Using a magnum primer where not recommended can and almost always does raise pressures significantly, sometime to dangerous levels, especially when working near or at the top. Follow the manuals! Never take advice from the net, unless you can varify it with known sources that have been pressure tested.
Old August 20, 2009, 09:17 PM   #4
Farmland

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammunit...909/index.html
Old August 20, 2009, 09:19 PM   #5
spleify

Thanks for the replys folks.

I will provide a little more info about my particular circumstances.

I am pulling all my info from the Nosler reloading book #5, I ordered and just received today there newest edition #6, and have not opened it yet. But in the 5th edition, here is what they recommend.

.44 Remington Magnum

H110 powder
CCI 300 LP primer
22.8 (smallest starting load)
240 JHP

Now this is what I have done, and they have worked ok for me, then I read and see some folks using magnum primers, and it got me thinking that I should learn more about this.

Thanks as always, and yes I agree I don't just pull information or load data off the net somewhere. All my data has come from the Nosler reloading book.

Spleify
Old August 20, 2009, 09:53 PM   #6
Rodentman

Speer 14

Speer 14 recommends mag primers for the .44 mag with H110. I have consistenly used mag primers in such loads with no issues.

FWIW...........
Old August 21, 2009, 09:25 AM   #7
Suwannee Tim

I will NOT use standard primers with H110. I have done so in the past and gotten erratic results. Lately I got a 454 which takes small rifle primers. SR magnum primers are hard to come by especially now so I used standard SR primers. The loads were noticeably erratic and then a squib and a stuck bullet. My first in many years. I like to have never have gotten that suck bullet out. Use magnum primers with H110.
Old August 21, 2009, 09:54 AM   #8
kraigwy

A while back I had run low on small pistol primers and but had the magnum SP primers, I called CCI, Winchester, and Remington, All were of the opinion to use the mag primers in your standard primer load, you should reduce the powder charge about 5% and then tweek your load up or down to get back to the preformence you had with your standard sp load. It worked for me.

I have healthy supply of standard LP primers so I didnt have that problem, but it would seemed to me the same policy would apply.

If in doubt, do like I did, call the primer manufactors and ask them. All its gonna cost is a few minutes on the phone.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 21, 2009, 10:30 AM   #9
Draciron

I have used mag primers with Alliant 2400 with pretty good results, though typically with heavier bullets like 180 grn bullets. I have found that with Alliant 2400 my loads are reduced more than %5 than the same load used with standard primers.

With H110 magnum primers seem to reduce the pressure. I loaded same powder with same bullet, virgin brass, same load, same bullet and the magnum primers showed less pressure. Further testing showed that with H110 magnum primers vs standard primers produced equiv pressures at least in terms of deformation of the primer or the magnum primers showed less deformation and or no deformation when standard primers showed deformation.

These are small magnum primers rather than the large primers your talking about. I doubt that large magnum primers are significantly different than small in performance. The link Farmland provided actually specifically recomends magnum primers with powders like H110.
Old August 21, 2009, 07:03 PM   #10
James R. Burke

Kraigwy is correct, always work up. I do try to use what the manual says for the bullet powder etc. I will be using. You cant have enough manuals. Seems like I am always buying one. It is nice being able to cross reference, and lately all the new calibers coming out.