The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 30, 2018, 06:10 PM   #26
kmw1954

Aguila, I can point you to all sorts of reviews if you'd like they just are not here on this forum. There are about equal mixed reviews so far. There is a thread on another forum that that is dealing with problems and trouble shooting this new press. So far it seems Lee is listening and making updates and changes regularly.

I admit I am reluctant to buy yet as there are still bugs in it. Doesn't mean I'm not going to try it either.
Old July 30, 2018, 06:23 PM   #27
Real Gun

I have the new press, the Auto Breech Lock Pro4000, and am not aware of any bugs in it, although sometimes commenters get confused about the press versus the primer feed, which is sold separately. There are issues with dropping primers, which I think has been addressed with an updated dispenser. I need to check with Lee.

p.s. this is the link for the primer feed fix, no new parts needed.

I don't find any plastic parts in the machine that are not of an appropriate material for the application.

I have certainly done some loading on it, so far dedicated to my 38 Special cowboy action ammo,, but now I am stalling, waiting for the high mount and catch bin hanger plate from Inline Fabrications. I would like to get the press up to a better working height for standing at a 36" high bench. I would have the same issue there with any press. I was not interested in the Lee press stand, because it requires floor space, but the press should do well when mounted on one of those.

Last edited by Real Gun; August 2, 2018 at 10:13 AM.
Old July 30, 2018, 07:01 PM   #28
jmorris

Quote:
jmorris please explain just where it is that I added a "D" into this mix?
Sorry, noticed the Lee, Lee and took no “D” as Dillon.

If you can get a 450 in your budget, that’s what I would do for sure.
Old July 30, 2018, 07:26 PM   #29
kmw1954

Real Gun one of the issues I do remember is that a few were having indexing issues with some of the very early ones. Agreed the primer setup is a whole different issue which I believe they have upgraded again, upgrade # ??? but it is supposed to be all white.

jmorris I added the Dillon 450 to the mix because at times I have seen them close on ebay in the $125.00+ shipping for just a bare press. The last one I was just watching closed at almost $200.00 and all that came with it was a shellplate for 223.

Sorry Dillon guys but I will not pay more than $150.00 for a bare 450 press and then have to pay another $50.00 to ship it. For as much as I am going to use it I'll go buy the new Lee press for much less than that. Again if someone can bring me a Loadmaster, Hornady or a Dillon 550 for $150.00 then bring it on.
Old July 31, 2018, 08:02 AM   #30
jmorris

No need for apologies, it’s your prerogative.

If you keep your eyes open you can get smoking deals on Loadmasters. I got mine for free because the fellow was frustrated with it.

If you don’t mind going slightly over your budget you can get a new one for $164.

https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-l...ter-press-only
Old July 31, 2018, 08:22 AM   #31
kmw1954

jmorris, thanks for the link as I am very aware of Titan Reloading. I have used them before and they are only a little more than an hour away and if I do buy a new Lee it will come from them.

Nothing against the Loadmaster, of it's self, I just really like the Simplicity of the other two designs. Like the Pro 1000 it really is a very simple tool. If the new model Pro 1000 was a four hole press it would already be on my bench.
Old July 31, 2018, 05:35 PM   #32
Unclenick
Staff

Kmw1954,

Alright, I am now unconfused. I forgot that new Lee design was progressive (or semi-progressive if that is more apt; I'll have to watch through some videos on it and download the manual to see which it appears to be).

Regarding the Dillon (other copies may show up), keep in mind its lifetime warranty travels with it from owner to owner. It's part of what you pay for. There is, indeed, a retrofit kit with a new frame and automatic primer feed and case-operated powder measure. I got one for my dad's 450 for Christmas one year long ago. If you can swing it at some future time, you will have a press that can reload most common cartridges and that may be switched over in a reasonable length of time.

One thing you said puzzles me, and that is that the .451 and .452 bullets didn't seem to feed any better or less well than one another. I assume that you meant this was so before the Lee CFCD was brought into play. If I am catching that correctly, then I don't know what's happening. I was expecting the CFCD might be taking some of them down a thousandth, but if a thousandth doesn't matter without the CFCD, it seems as if the diameter limiting function might not necessarily be responsible for it fixing the problem. I'm wondering if maybe your picky gun likes the slope of the Lee taper crimp better. Have you compared the shape of the taper crimp in your standard die set to what you get out of the CFCD? Have you measured the OD's over the bullet of both your bullet sizes before and after they come out of the CFCD?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 31, 2018, 08:13 PM   #33
kmw1954

The one thing that is really holding me back from buying a New Breech Lock press is the amount of plastic used in key areas. The carrier is steel but wrapped in plastic which worries me. I would feel better if it was like the carrier on the Pro 1000 even if it is diecast. Then there is that little red plastic tab that actuated the primer arm into place inside the shellplate/carrier. Will that weaken or snap at some point?

My thought on the Dillon 450 was to load up a bare press with Lee dies and Lee powder measure with just a 45 shellplate and leave it as that. Maybe the old hand operated primer system. Which to me would be no different than the Breech Lock at that point.

This 45acp Witness from what I've gleaned from the guys on the CZ/Tanfoglio forum are made with very short and tight chambers, which I have found I need to load everything .010" shorter than my XD or it hits the rifling.

I have measured and measured over and over and cannot find any difference but there is one. At one time I was playing with the crimp in the seating die and actually got to a roll crimp in a round and was still having the same problem. I've tried seating and crimping in separate steps with the seating/crimp die and that helped a great deal but did not alleviate the problem. Some would drop into the chamber perfectly and drop right out but if you rotated the shell 45* it would stick. It almost seems like something is out-of-round.

All I can prove for certain is that when I finish the cartridges with the FCD I have no problems with this gun.
Old August 1, 2018, 07:37 AM   #34
jmorris

I have had problems with some Lee plastic parts but the presses are cheap and the cost of new plastic parts that wear out is insignificant.

Replacement carrier cover, retainer plate and stop for the breechlock is a whopping $3.

https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-p...ty-family-mold

So order the press and one of the $3 kits above and you can quickly replace the plastic, when it fails. After that get on the phone and order another set for next time.

While your happily loading on it, you can PM me when you come across the $125 450’s.
Old August 1, 2018, 08:08 AM   #35
Real Gun

If you actually saw the press, you would probably not have any concern about plastic parts. If you want to load on a tank, you will pay for it.
Old August 1, 2018, 02:46 PM   #36
Old 454

I seen the new Lee press the pro lock. Not to bad. The local gun shop here has them for 112.00.
I started out with a loadmaster. Not a great press .. matter of fact it was damn persnickety. But I was poor and it was all I could afford for

But everyone has to remember Lee equipment is price pointed for loaders on a tight budget.
I saved money over the years and Now have two dillion 650's.
If it were not for Lee equipment I prolly would never have started my own handloading.

So Good luck.. get that new Lee press and be safe and hope you find as much enjoyment as the rest of us who handload