The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 17, 2022, 12:56 PM   #1
Grant 14

Lehigh Controlled chaos bullets

I just ordered .257 102 gr Controlled Chaos bullets to load for my 257 Roberts. None lead .257 bullets are hard to find, but these were available and they expand at a slightly less velocity than most bullets which is fine for the mild old Roberts. The Lehigh site has lots of load data for their bullets EXCEPT for .257. Can lead reloading data be used for copper bullets? Does anyone know if there is loading data for copper bullets on some other site. I am not finding much. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Grant.
Old October 17, 2022, 01:05 PM   #2
sako2

Nosler has data for their e-tip bullet which is all copper.

Last edited by sako2; October 17, 2022 at 01:12 PM.
Old October 17, 2022, 10:51 PM   #3
taylorce1

Lehigh will probably help you with some data if you send an email. They probably have a program like Quick Load that can extrapolate some data that would get you going.
Old October 18, 2022, 01:28 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

There are two points about the all copper bullets which CAN render data for standard bullets incorrect.

First, having no lead core, the all copper will not compress exactly the same and this can change the pressure.

Second, and more importantly, being all copper the same weight is LONGER than a lead core bullet and that can mean a longer bearing surface, which can change the pressure.

The maker should have SOME data but might not publish it. Ask them for help. IF you can't load and use their bullets, you aren't going to buy any more of them, right???
Old October 18, 2022, 09:23 AM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Hodgdon's online load data includes 257 Roberts data for Accurate powders for the 100-grain Barnes TSX, which is a copper solid.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 18, 2022, 10:30 AM   #6
Shadow9mm

+1, if i cant find data for copper bullets i substitute barnes bullets
Old October 19, 2022, 11:16 PM   #7
Grant 14

Unclenick, I looked at the Hodgdon site and it has good information, but it only lists Accurate powder for the copper Barns bullets.
I have IMR 4064 that I hope to use. Looking lower on the site for lead bullets it shows Hodgdon and IMR 4064 but not Accurate, so I cant get any indication of comparison charges between the powders.
I really dont want to be guessing. Is there any comparison charts for similar powders? I looked again at the Lehigh site and it says that they dont give out information on anything that they are not currently showing. I am open to suggestions???
Old October 20, 2022, 06:49 AM   #8
sako2

Nosler start with imr4064 is 34gn and a max of 38gn.
Old October 20, 2022, 06:52 AM   #9
Shadow9mm

So one option. Use the jbm bullet length chart. Find a similar bullet which will be heavier to match length. Then split the difference in data from the correct weight and the heavy bullet for load data to compensate for the length.

https://www.jbmballistics.com/ballis.../lengths.shtml

Were there any particular powders you were wanting to use?

Last edited by Shadow9mm; October 20, 2022 at 07:03 AM.
Old October 20, 2022, 04:06 PM   #10
Unclenick
Staff

CAUTION: The following post (or a page linked to) includes or discusses loading data not covered by currently published sources of tested data for this cartridge (QuickLOAD or Gordon's Reloading Tool data is not professionally tested). USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

Grant14,

There is load data on the Barnes site. Accurate 4064 is meant to compete with IMR 4064, but both QuickLOAD and GRT suggest it is a little slower; to the tune of maybe a couple of grains in the 257 Bob with a 100-grain copper bullet, so you should be able to take a couple of grains off the Accurate 4064 loads at Hodgdon to use with the IMR 4064 as a starting point. So, where the Accurate 4064 starting load at Hodgdon is 35.1 grains, you want to start with 33.1 grains of the IMR product and work up toward 37 grains, which is two grains below Hodgdon's 39-grain maximum listing for the Accurate version. If you get there safely, the computer software suggests you could go up another 0.8 grains, but I wouldn't go there unless some sort of real need is involved.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 21, 2022, 10:04 AM   #11
Grant 14

OK, That seems to make sense to me. I will load up a few and look for for pressure signs. I have no interest in loading anything to the max. The deer on my property rarely get very big so I dont need a shoulder cannon. I hunted for years with a 25-35 carbine but the open sights are not good for old eyes. Unclenick, Thank you.