The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 17, 2016, 10:31 PM   #1
Jacket67

CZ P01 Omega vs P07 for CCW

Hey TFL,

This is my first post ever on here though I've read many threads posted on various topics. I'm a 20 year old college student who has grown up loving/respecting firearms all my life. I'm no stranger to handling firearms safely and efficiently, but I could really use some advice on a purchase.

As the title states, I'm looking at getting a carry gun in the next few months once I turn 21 and get a ccw license. I've shot a fair amount of handguns. The glock 23, beretta 92fs, colt series 80, and xd sub compact to name a few. I've determined that I'm more accurate/more comfortable with a da/sa action. The 92fs is the gun I learned on and still my favorite full size gun. But it's much too large to carry around (I'm 5'9" ~160lbs).

I didn't care for the glock, and while I loved the 1911, I want to start with a double stack 9mm. I've held the px4 storm and didn't like the way it felt. Recently I looked at a CZ p07 in a local store and thought it was great. I like the ambi decocker that can be swapped to a safety being that I'm a lefty. Further research into that gun showed me that it has the omega trigger system which people seem to like a lot, and that it doesn't accept full size CZ 75 mags.

On CZ's website, I came across the p01 omega and really liked the more classic look of it though it seems very practical. I love all metal handguns, but I'm not sure how comfortable this would be for aiwb carry. It also carries one less round than the p07 in its standard mags but it will accept CZ 75 mags if I wanted to buy a higher capacity mag just for the fun of it. (Obviously not for ccw)

I can look up the technical specs on these guns all day, but what I lack is the experience of carrying either. I'm comparing these two on the basis of comfort to carry/shoot, durability, and overall performance. This will be my only handgun for a while after I buy it, so I want to make sure it does the job well. From what I understand CZ has a reputation of quality firearms.

Can anyone give me any insight or elaborate on these firearms? Obviously I'd love to hear from those who have experience with either or both, but all are welcome!
Old July 17, 2016, 11:22 PM   #2
Fullclip610

I can tell you with 100% certainty that the p07 DOES in fact work with regular cz75 mags. It does stick out a little at the bottom but they are fine for the range. 100% function.
Old July 18, 2016, 12:02 AM   #3
chris in va

I have a standard P-01 and have carried it a few years.

It shoots great and I have done well with it in competition. Ergos are spot on.

That being said, 15 rounds of 9mm plus the gun weight can get a bit heavy after a while. My Kahr K9 has worked it's way into the rotation and while not exactly a flyweight either, it is a bit easier on my back at the end of the day.

At this point I wouldn't mind having a CZ RAMI wih safety. The decocker is just for Czech Police mandates, so it would be nice to have a SA first pull.
Old July 18, 2016, 07:51 AM   #4
Dan-O

Of the two listed, I'd go with the P-07. I have a P-09 and absolutely love it.
Old July 18, 2016, 08:05 AM   #5
Pilot

The difference in weight is negligible. Go with the P-01, or better yet the 75D PCR which is very similar but does not have a light rail.
Old July 18, 2016, 08:14 PM   #6
Cyanide971

CZ P01 Omega vs P07 for CCW

I had both and found that it was easier for me to carry the P-07 (still have an older Duty model), even though it has a wider slide. The difference for me anyway, was the fact that even with thin G10 grip panels on my P-01, I was/am more comfortable carrying the P-07, and I have an easier time when drawing it. Just the way it is with me, smaller doublestack grips work better than wider due to having small hands hahahaha.

Here's several old pics of mine. The P-01 is still wearing the original rubber grips with the pronounced palm swell. Like I mentioned above, even after I switched out the grip panels the P-07 was still a better fit for me.

Old July 18, 2016, 10:50 PM   #7
Jacket67

P-07 takes the lead

Cyanide971 those pictures are very helpful!

After reading all of your replies and seeing these photos, I believe the P-07 would suit me better as a carry gun. I could not care less if the polymer frame got scuffed up as opposed the the P-01's aluminum frame. I like the thinner grip it provides right out of the box and the fact that it has interchangeable back straps to make sure I have the grip I want. And I see Cyanide971's point of it drawing better, it just looks like an overall sleeker design as far as the sides are concerned. I also feel as the the more aggressive serrations on the P-07's slide would be beneficial in a high-stress situation, especially given the low-profile design of CZ slides.

I will definitely look into the RAMI when I come to the point of wanting a very compact pistol for when my clothing won't allow me properly conceal a larger gun. And I fully intend on getting a full size CZ 75 somewhere down the road. As for now, I believe the P-07 will be the right tool for the job.

Thank you all for your posts, you've all been a great help!
Old July 19, 2016, 10:33 AM   #8
YoungGun

You might want to take a look at the FNX before making your purchase.

Yg
Old July 19, 2016, 11:40 AM   #9
TBT

Either would be a great purchase. I don't think there will be much difference in carrying them. Get what you want.

I've been very pleased with my P-07 and wouldn't trade it for the world. Accurate and reliable. It's everything you could ask for in a carry gun.
Old July 24, 2016, 07:28 PM   #10
FairWarning

P-01 hands down for me. Absolutely LOVE the feel! It feels reassuringly solid, yet very slim.

And both the P-07 and P-09 strangely pinch my trigger finger in a very annoying way. Very few pistols do that. It could be remedied, but I'm already biased toward the classic P-01 anyway...
Old July 24, 2016, 09:18 PM   #11
jackstrawIII

P01

Dude, I gotta recommend the P01. It's my #1 favorite handgun of all time, for the following reasons:

- The ergonomics are perfect.
- It has a rock solid feel. There is none of the "flex" you get when shooting a poly gun. It's so smooth and tight.
- It's incredibly accurate.
- It's not the lightest trigger, but it's predictable. It gives you perfect control of exactly when the gun fires. I prefer the CZ trigger over all the Glocks, Walthers, Smiths, Sigs, Berettas, Kahrs.... etc, that I've owned.
- You have the option of aftermarket grips, which you don't get with the poly.

I loved my P01 so much I bought a light for it and made it my bedstand gun... then I bought a PCR for carry. It's the same gun, minus the light rail. Makes it a bit slimmer for CCW.

The P01 is the first serious pistol I bought (after my P22) and it's still my favorite, after owning probably 20 other pistols. It's that good.
Old July 25, 2016, 03:35 PM   #12
Jacket67

Comfort of carry?

I really do like the design of the p01. It looks very sleek and smooth, and I know that it is very well built. I just feel like the p07 might be a better carry gun because it is polymer... What is everyone's thoughts on that? I know metal guns feel more solid and take recoil better (my experience with the 92fs), but how do they stack up in regards to ccw? Specifically appendix carry if anyone can elaborate on this. It just seems that the p07 might have more of an edge in this category because of its polymer frame.
Old July 25, 2016, 05:20 PM   #13
bm303

The P-01 weights about an ounce more than the P-07. The PCR is lighter than both the P-01 and P-07.

I personally would suggest a non omega P-01 or a PCR. Get some custom parts from Cajun Gun Works and you've now got a gun superior to the Omega's. I never was crazy about the Omega trigger and an upgraded original trigger is vastly superior IMO.

Tags
ccw , cz-usa , handguns