The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 5, 2019, 11:28 PM   #1
CedarGrove357

DW .445 SuperMagnum Scope

Couldn't find anything via a search on TFL, and wasn't sure whether to start on the revolver forum or here, but since I am working on this piece for someone, I'd start here.

Working on a Dan Wesson .445 SuperMagnum fitted with a Nikon single power pistol scope. Customer brought this in with a scope issue where it was walking in the rings when fired. Customer "wants" scope fixed and sighted for 100m. On inspection firearm was clean and in good looking shape, timing okay, cylinder to barrel alignment was good, lockup and cylinder play seemed tight and within normal play tolerances. Found the rear scope ring mount screw was loose, tightened it, and removed the upper scope rings and removed scope. Old "adhesive" [white pasty substance I recognize as an adhesive to prevent the customer's complaint] was dried and cracked. Cleaned rings and applied thin film of clear silicone sealant to rings, reseated scope and torqued rings; let sit a couple days to cure and waited for monsoon season to abate in southern Illinois. Performed basic chamber and barrel swab, bore sighted the scope to get it back on paper.

Setup a target at 25m and began sighting in with Hornady 240gr factory load XTP jacketed hollow points in .44 Magnum. My POI target is -0.8" from dead center. Typically I can get a scope to settle in within 5 to 10 shots. Today I used 20. and I am all over the board. The attached image is of the target after 20 shots. There are 18 shots on target, #13 was operator error because I flinched and missed the target altogether. The first round was an initial shot to verify function and not aimed at the target. I am shooting from a benched position with the pistol supported on a rest. The shots are numbered and after the 5th shot I started marking adjustments with the shot. Example +10 means I adjusted the scope up 10 clicks or 2.5" MOA.

This is an image of the target after I finished the shots. I have a couple ideas on the issue but I'd appreciate some higher experienced points of view to either confirm or refute my theories. The scope has NOT moved in the rings at all, verified by strategic sharpie marks made on each side of the rings prior to shooting. I am thinking either the scope is damaged internally, or there may be an issue with the throat of the barrel causing the bullet to misalign and fly wildly.

https://flic.kr/p/TEmUdE

Cedar Grove Farm and Arms
Old May 6, 2019, 10:40 AM   #2
FrankenMauser

I'd be checking the crown and trying another scope.