The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 24, 2009, 05:23 AM   #1
S_Constitutionist

Teen drawn on/approached by gangbanger- disarms and punches to submission

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=154_1248394681

As I understand it, this just recently occurred.

There are so many things to pick apart here that I'm not sure I see the benefit in even trying to. Obviously, the kid made a VERY irrational move which easily could have been fatal. I understand that his "fight or flight" response was going absolutely haywire, and apparently he had a background in jujitsu, but still... I got goosebumps and shudders watching it. The actions of MANY in the film were definately illegal, on both ends.

Again, im not trying to turn this into a big thing. Of course, I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of us are not 14 year olds who obviously have some bad blood with a gang/gangbanger type- hanging out in the neighborhood skateboarding. It is, however, a real situation that I believe some things can be learned from.
Old July 24, 2009, 05:57 AM   #2
WhistlerSWE

The kid handled it well when it started getting physical, he had a clear dominant position with the gangbanger not really posing any threat after losing the gun.

But who in his right mind would punch a guy pointing a gun towards you?

Hope the GB learned something from the experience, but its more likely he'll just bring more friends next time.

In my opinion the kid failed as soon as he started confronting.
Old July 24, 2009, 06:18 AM   #3
MLeake

Looked staged...

... and I hope it was. Otherwise, if the GB didn't want revenge for the fight itself, he and all his friends will want to get even over the internet video.
Old July 24, 2009, 06:39 AM   #4
csmsss

Quote:
The actions of MANY in the film were definately illegal, on both ends.
*** are you talking about? Who did anything illegal besides the gang banger? No one I saw. As long as the gangster continued to fight, he was a threat and anyone there had every right to assist in subduing him.

Frankly, he's lucky the skateboarder didn't kill him. I hope the gang banger was arrested for the unprovoked aggravated assault he committed.
Old July 24, 2009, 07:54 AM   #5
scottaschultz

Staged?? No way!!

Here is some guy recording his buddy skateboarding then all of a sudden this GB comes up to him and starts giving him a hard time. Does the guy recording all of this with his cellphone go to help his friend? Of course not! He just keeps watching and recording it all!

Scott
Old July 24, 2009, 08:09 AM   #6
LeopardCurDog

Looked good to me. Only thing that could have made it better was if the BG would have gotten beaten more.

I liked the half homie under the chin thing though! 10 points for "ghetto cool"!
Old July 24, 2009, 08:39 AM   #7
freakshow10mm

Quote:
If you're looking at the business end of a gun, you're a dead man on your feet. He had the mentality many of us have. It's better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

As to their being much illegalities in the video, probably in reference to the beating after the gun was taken away, is not IMO illegal. The deadly threat changed to a physical threat which was being taken care of. If the gangsta pressed charges and I was on the jury, I would find no fault on the part of any of the skateboarders.
Old July 24, 2009, 08:43 AM   #8
Sparks2112

Certainly not staged.
J.M. Johnston
Old July 24, 2009, 08:45 AM   #9
ZeSpectre

I was kinda surprised there wasn't more skateboard use.

It always amazes me how people get into a fistfight and keep punching each other in the head. The skull is BONE, there are a whole host of better places to hit someone if you want to disable them.
Old July 24, 2009, 08:46 AM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
In one word... ME!!! Can't out run a bullet so may as well make it far harder to hit me...
Brent
Old July 24, 2009, 09:37 AM   #11
Cope's Dist

Not too Smart...But...

I imagine the guy with the phone figured it was better to record it all in case they needed proof of anything in the future. The guy beating the heck out of the GB had already made up his mind he wasn't takin no crap and he didn't seem to need help. May have been "no too smart" cuz GB had gun, but some folks just ain't got a sense of humor about a gun in their face. I can say I don't.

www.copesdistributing.com

Last edited by Cope's Dist; July 24, 2009 at 09:42 AM. Reason: changed wording
Old July 24, 2009, 09:48 AM   #12
Sparks2112

As an aside, this is a GREAT example as to why having a gun protects you from absolutely nothing if you choose to close within striking distance of an individual.
J.M. Johnston
Old July 24, 2009, 09:58 AM   #13
howwie

It was smart for the guy to record for evidence sake, but I can't say I wouldn't have turned tail and gotten out of the situation as soon as I saw the gun. But it ended okay in this incident, but this is not always the case. He's really lucky the GB wasn't willing to use that gun. I am/was a skater and I know how common it is to skate in bad areas. I always had my mini Ka-Bar in my belt and a G19 in the car.
Old July 24, 2009, 10:23 AM   #14
Eskimo

Quote:
The actions of MANY in the film were definately illegal, on both ends.
Just because something is illegal doesn't mean it's wrong.. : ) Those guys had every right to knock that guy in the head with those skateboards.
Old July 24, 2009, 10:29 AM   #15
csmsss

Again, the ONLY actor in that video who did anything illegal was the gang banger.
Old July 24, 2009, 10:39 AM   #16
Eskimo

Quote:
Again, the ONLY actor in that video who did anything illegal was the gang banger.
Not true.. they didn't even try to hold the guy down, he was laying there covering himself and they were beating him. You mean to tell me you think you would get a pat on the back for that?
Old July 24, 2009, 10:48 AM   #17
BeeGee

Not true.. they didn't even try to hold the guy down, he was laying there covering hi

I would give him a pat on the back if I were there!!!!
BeeGee
Old July 24, 2009, 10:50 AM   #18
Lavid2002

hell yeah man thats what tat guy gets
Old July 24, 2009, 10:59 AM   #19
Sixer

That was great! The kid even tried to walk away! When that didn't work, he let his elbow do the talking.

Quote:
.. they didn't even try to hold the guy down, he was laying there covering himself and they were beating him. You mean to tell me you think you would get a pat on the back for that?
HELL YES. I'm officially giving this kid a "e-pat" on the back

I mean, seriously? If you're gonna pull a gun on someone, not use it, then have it taken away... you probably deserve to get shot. Matter of fact it should be MANDATORY that you receive an a$$ whooping that's at least equal or greater to this one. The mini-thug got off lucky! Got his bell rung and lost his gat, but that was the extent of it. So many things about the wannabe gangbanger tick me off. He thought he could bully a kid just because he had a gun.

He learned his lesson though .... never get too close to your target

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old July 24, 2009, 10:59 AM   #20
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
he was laying there covering himself and they were beating him
That was not exactly how I would describe it.

Lets not rule out the possibility that these were in fact rival gangs members.

BTW, the PSI of a skateboard turned sideways is much greater than with the wheels. Easy to do much more damage with that way. The guy who didn't know how to use his gun is lucky those guys didn't know how to use their skateboards.
Old July 24, 2009, 10:59 AM   #21
ZeSpectre

Quote:
As an aside, this is a GREAT example as to why having a gun protects you from absolutely nothing if you choose to close within striking distance of an individual.
Actually it's a great example of "posturing" (Read Dave Grossman's book "On Killing").

To be blunt.

Gun-boy wasn't ready to go all the way to "maim/kill" (which is strangely reassuring) but since firearms don't have a "less lethal" setting he was stuck in a feedback loop.

Skateboard-boy, on the other hand, had plenty of non-lethal on hand and a willingness to employ it immediately.

Mentality, not tools.
Old July 24, 2009, 11:02 AM   #22
csmsss

Quote:
Not true.. they didn't even try to hold the guy down, he was laying there covering himself and they were beating him. You mean to tell me you think you would get a pat on the back for that?
You must have been watching an entirely different video than I was. The guy with the gun was struggling to get to his feet the entire time. He was NOT simply covering himself. As long as he keeps moving and struggling, he's a threat and they had every right to keep pummeling him.

I guess they should have helped him to his feet and walked him over to his weapon so he could resume his attack?

Sweet baby Jebus.
Old July 24, 2009, 11:13 AM   #23
scottaschultz

Cope's Dist wrote:
Quote:
I imagine the guy with the phone figured it was better to record it all in case they needed proof of anything in the future.
howwie wrote:
Quote:
It was smart for the guy to record for evidence sake...
I will remember what good friends you guys are while I am recovering from my injuries in a hospital bed while this GB waits to go on trial!

Scott
Old July 24, 2009, 11:16 AM   #24
Eskimo

I'm sure a few skateboarders can easily outrun some fat gang member. They had his gun, all they had to do was get up and leave. You guys can play stupid if you want, but we both know there would have been no risk at all if they had simply taken his gun and left.

Keep in mind that I agree 100% that he should have been beaten 5x harder than he was.. I'm just talking legalities here.

Quote:
You must have been watching an entirely different video than I was. The guy with the gun was struggling to get to his feet the entire time. He was NOT simply covering himself. As long as he keeps moving and struggling, he's a threat and they had every right to keep pummeling him.

I guess they should have helped him to his feet and walked him over to his weapon so he could resume his attack?

Sweet baby Jebus.
Old July 24, 2009, 11:24 AM   #25
csmsss

You still haven't detailed which laws they broke. Also, why on earth should they leave? They weren't doing anything wrong! The gangbanger initiated the entire event and each and every person there was legally justified in doing whatever was necessary to force him to submit. Again, no laws broken.