The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 2, 2012, 07:22 PM   #1
blueglass

springfield trophy match or les baer premier II?

thoughts?
Old September 2, 2012, 07:29 PM   #2
Smit

Both good guns. Depending on the price difference, I'd probably go with the Bear.
Old September 2, 2012, 09:23 PM   #3
KyJim

The Springfield is prettier. The Baer is likely more accurate. If I had to choose, it would be the Baer.
Old September 3, 2012, 06:26 AM   #4
Kreyzhorse

Both are great. I really like Springfield but of course depending on price, the Baer likely gets the nod.
Old September 3, 2012, 08:00 AM   #5
Officer's Match

One really good gun, one superb gun. The LB is in a different league and is the better pistol by a good margin.
Old September 3, 2012, 08:09 PM   #6
Gary Wells

I own both and I would give the nod to the Baer. Very early Springer Trophy Matches came with standard with a flattened & serrated slide top, but I don't know if they still do.
Old September 3, 2012, 08:14 PM   #7
drail

I am the world's biggest Springfield fan but it will never be the quality of a Baer. If you can afford a Baer buy one.
Old September 3, 2012, 08:19 PM   #8
1stmar

Baer, springfield is a good gun, but not a Baer.
Old September 3, 2012, 08:20 PM   #9
G. Freeman

I'm an SA fan. But the Baer is in a different league. If u have the money, go with the Baer. With the SA, you'll still need to tweak a few things, especially the trigger. With the Baer, you're good to go!
Old September 4, 2012, 09:37 PM   #10
HKFan9

Allow me to play devils advocate here.

The Les Baer IS a step above the the SA.. I can admit to that. I have owned the same SA.. shot the same LB.

However.... both are more accurate than the shooter will likely be.

If money is no object.. I say get what you want. However the extra money you save by buying the SA will leave you extra cash for Ammo.. reloading equipment.. or mags... or buying your wife flowers to make up for bringing home yet another gun.

I can't disagree the LB is the better gun... but I would say 99% of us aren't skilled enough to notice the difference with out a rest.

Really you can't go wrong with either.. I just though I'd share a different out take.
Old September 4, 2012, 10:19 PM   #11
drail

You are of course correct but having run a lot of both brands in a Ransom Rest my vote is for the Baer. I mean, Les used to run the Springfield Armory Custom shop and built guns for Rob Leatham and the rest of their team. Then he decided he could do better. He was right.
Old September 5, 2012, 07:57 PM   #12
Red Dog

Just a suggestion.... To you guys who own both please state your reasons why you like one better.
Old September 5, 2012, 08:43 PM   #13
Officer's Match

Quote:
You are of course correct but having run a lot of both brands in a Ransom Rest my vote is for the Baer. I mean, Les used to run the Springfield Armory Custom shop and built guns for Rob Leatham and the rest of their team. Then he decided he could do better. He was right.
Correct, and this is one built during that time, and it's superb.

Old September 5, 2012, 09:21 PM   #14
Kreyzhorse

Awesome Springfield Officers Match. I own a TRP and am floored by how nice it is. Your Sprinfield is a step up from mine so I can only imagine how smooth and accurate it is.
Old September 5, 2012, 09:25 PM   #15
blueglass

That's a lovely weapon Officers Match.
Old September 5, 2012, 11:09 PM   #16
HKFan9

Beautiful....
Old September 6, 2012, 11:31 AM   #17
Officer's Match

Thanks fella's, the original hard chrome is still holding up great, and several thousand rounds and she's still bank vault tight. I've had numerous Baer's, Browns and Wilson's, and none have impressed me beyond this old Springer. A couple more gratuitous pics:

Old September 9, 2012, 07:44 AM   #18
Officer's Match

'Course Baers aren't too hard to look at either:

Old September 9, 2012, 02:22 PM   #19
blueglass

Officer's Match--
Do you have an opinion about the Baer 1911 PPC Open Class .45 ACP -OR- Baer 1911 Premier II, 5" Model, .45 ACP -
I shot the Premier but not sure what the PPC is about.
Any thoughts?
Old September 9, 2012, 09:14 PM   #20
Officer's Match

I have no experience with a PPC, or even knowledge of what exactly it is. Sorry.
Old September 10, 2012, 06:52 AM   #21
darkgael

Spring

This:
Quote:
Allow me to play devils advocate here.

The Les Baer IS a step above the the SA.. I can admit to that. I have owned the same SA.. shot the same LB.

However.... both are more accurate than the shooter will likely be.

If money is no object.. I say get what you want. However the extra money you save by buying the SA will leave you extra cash for Ammo.. reloading equipment.. or mags... or buying your wife flowers to make up for bringing home yet another gun.

I can't disagree the LB is the better gun... but I would say 99% of us aren't skilled enough to notice the difference with out a rest.

Really you can't go wrong with either.. I just though I'd share a different out take.
is good thinking. No disrespect intended to anyone of a different opinion.
When we say that the LB is a better gun, what does that really mean in practical, usable terms? More accurate? How much more?
Is it a thousand dollars more accurate, more reliable, more finished?
I realize that much of what people want in a firearm is affective in nature and not readily quantified by numbers...ok, that being said, the difference in cost buys a lot of ammo. The difference in performance is going to be undetectable by all but the most elite shooters. If there really is a difference.
Pete
Old September 10, 2012, 07:25 AM   #22
Officer's Match

I completely agree both will likely exceed the accuracy of the vast majority of shooters. And as for cosmetic finish, internal included, the Trophy Match is likely better than the Les Baer. The most notable difference in the hand will be the Springer's super agressive 20lpi frontstrap vs the LB's comfy but less grabby 30lpi (unless spec'd @ 20 which is an option).

What I meant in saying the Baer is in a different league is that it is a true hand-fit hard fit barrel lock up. Baers are build using human hands and files, more so than any other off-the-shelf manufacturer. Admittedly, I'm a LB fan, but IMHO they are the most unique 1911 offering available in that true pistolsmith craftsmen are required to build a Baer - very little CNC involvement. Not that predominantly machined 1911's are a bad thing - witness Ed Brown's fine offerings - but in this day and age a human built high quality item is getting hard to find.
Old September 10, 2012, 09:00 PM   #23
KyJim

Quote:
When we say that the LB is a better gun, what does that really mean in practical, usable terms? More accurate? How much more?
Is it a thousand dollars more accurate, more reliable, more finished?
I realize that much of what people want in a firearm is affective in nature and not readily quantified by numbers...ok, that being said, the difference in cost buys a lot of ammo. The difference in performance is going to be undetectable by all but the most elite shooters. If there really is a difference.
Better parts, better fit, more reliable, better trigger, more accurate. While most may not be able to take full advantage of the better accuracy, the Baer will be more accurate for most people.

shooter's inaccuracy + gun's inaccuracy = total inaccuracy

If the Baer is more accurate than the Springer, the total inaccuracy will be less. Baers are guaranteed accurate to three inches at 50 yards and many will be more accurate (not counting the 1.5 inch accuracy that you can pay for). The Springer? No guarantee, maybe 3-4 inches at 25 yards or 6-8 inches at 50 yards. I totally disagree with the statement that only the most elite shooters can tell the difference. I'm only passable but can tell the difference in my Premier and some of my other 1911s (Springer, Colt).

Difference in price more like $600 to $700. Is it worth it? That's an individual decision.