The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 7, 2009, 09:09 PM   #1
bamafan4life

hand checkering a stock?

okay im fixing a bubba turk mauser. im turning the semi pistol grip into full and adding a grip cap. and adding a forend tip. i want to hand checker it im a good artist and should be able to do this if i draw it on the stock first. but which checking cutter is the best for doing this the first time? a single blade cutter or a triple or what? any instructions or tips would be apreciated.
Old April 8, 2009, 09:40 AM   #2
madcratebuilder

I'm a novice at checkering. I layout the outside pattern, make my two cuts with a single blade, then use a double from there.
I did a few hours practice on some scrap and my work came out pretty damn nice I think.
Old April 8, 2009, 10:59 AM   #3
Scorch

I do stock work and checkering, so here's my recommendation. Several things to consider:
* Finer checkering is tougher to do well, and really coarse checkering does generaly not look as nice as finer checkering, so I would start out with 18 lpi (lines per inch).

* You can buy a starter set of checkering tools from Midway or Brownells, a layout guide (a diamond-shaped cleap plastic tool for laying out the first lines), and a checkering rule (flexible clear plastic ruler).

* I would recommend some sort of checkering cradle to help keep the work steady.