The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 25, 2007, 11:12 AM   #1
EL_UYUYUY

Need help finding a mount and rings for a 98 Mauser action.

Hello I'm new to this forum, I don't know much about firearms but I like them a lot I'm sure I will learn a lot here.

A friend of mine wants to scope his 98 Mauser action bolt rifle what parts are needed and where can I get them?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks...
Joe Cortez...
Old June 25, 2007, 12:06 PM   #2
Scorch

Looks like it has already been drilled and tapped for bases. If it was done right, Redfield or Leupold bases for a military Mauser 98 will work. If not done right, Weaver-style bases or 2-piece Leupolds will fit. Then you need rings, and a scope, and some time with tools and solvents to put it all together.
Old June 25, 2007, 12:12 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

That rifle appears to already be drilled and tapped, the bolt handle turned down, and a low scope safety installed. In other words, the major work is done; all that should be needed is to install the mounts and the scope.

Your best bet would be to go to a gun shop and discuss mounts and scopes as well as look at what is available. There is a wide variety of mounts and many brands and types of scopes, so I don't think trying to order by mail is a good idea. If you want, you can go to www.brownells.com and order their catalog, so you can get an idea of what is available.

Jim
Old June 25, 2007, 04:49 PM   #4
srtrax

As stated in the other two posts, if the hole spacings are right??? and wanting to use Weaver bases it would be a no.# 45 & #46 base, then any type of Weaver style rings will work. Needs to be just high enough on the rings for the scope to clear the rear sight. Most gunshops have these and you can take the gun in the shop to make sure they fit!
Old June 27, 2007, 12:26 AM   #5
EL_UYUYUY

Thanks a lot guys.

Fortunately there's a Turners outdoors sports store that I know of.

I will ask them if they have what I need.

If it's not too much to ask.

Will a Simmons 3-9x32 scope (don't know the model) survive the recoil of this rifle? is chambered for 30-06 cartidge.

Thanks for your help and patience.
Old June 27, 2007, 08:59 PM   #6
srtrax

You can put the Simmons on and shoot it to see if it will work and im guessing it may, but ive got a feeling you may want to upgrade a little. Take it out at dusk or dawn and you will see what i mean. Looks like one of the cheaper Simmons i sold when in retail, But by all means try it first, you may like it!
Old June 28, 2007, 12:37 AM   #7
EL_UYUYUY

Thanks Strax

Actually is for a friend of mine that doesn't want to spend too much on a big budget scope for now.

So if the scope won't break I think He'll be ok in the meantime he gets better optics.

Thanks..
Joe Cortez...
Old June 28, 2007, 06:54 PM   #8
dale taylor

I've used Leopold ring and scope base twice and Weaver rings and bases once on my 3 Mausers. I'm happy with all. I echo that you are lucky receiver has been drilled and tapped. Be sure the chamber was not drilled into. [email protected]
Old June 28, 2007, 09:33 PM   #9
Harry Bonar

98 Mauser

Sir:
This is simple! Get a Redfield one piece base and see if holes line up! If not and it's drilled and tapped with two holes front and rear use Weaver Bases and rings!
I prefer the Redfield on piece because you don't need to modify the clip bridge in rear.
Harry B.