The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 13, 2007, 04:21 PM   #1
ledavatar

So I bought a Baby Browning...

…in mint condition (made in 1968) and proceeded to put a nice scratch on the slide on the second day of manhandling it. I have no idea how it happened - maybe a piece of sand got stuck in the in the browning pouch or something. Looking at the scratch makes me want to cry.

Are there any cures available for a small scratch on a blued gun?
Old June 13, 2007, 05:27 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

Cold bluing. That's what it's for.
Old June 13, 2007, 05:39 PM   #3
Tom2

You might want to get some of the liquid versus paste cold blue so you could apply it in a fine line in the scratch versus a big fat dauber. It can leave stains on the regular blueing so you might want to confine it to the scratch as much as possible. You also would want to degrease the area of the scratch so wiping along the scratch with a q tip of something like pure alcohol or other non petroleum solvent will clean the scratch of any oils that would impede it working. Then when it is done, put a nice film of rust preventative or gun oil on and it might be hard to see if you are lucky. Otherwise sell it to me cheap to help heal the heartbreak!
Old June 13, 2007, 08:05 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I would like to be optimistic, but IME, a scratch treated with cold blue looks like a scratch treated with cold blue. It is better than a shiny scratch, but not much. At least, you now have the "dent in the new car" thing over with and can enjoy shooting the gun.

Jim
Old June 13, 2007, 08:52 PM   #5
ledavatar

I wasn't even planning on shooting this gun, but now w/ the scratch... maybe it's a blessing in disguise.

I think w/ my clumsy hands I would end up doing more damage trying to "fix" it. My main concern is whether the scratch will lead to rust in that area. I just want something to cover up the shame so I don't get angry everytime I look at it.

Here are some obligatory pics that I should have included in the first place. I'm sure you can understand my agony.

*** and yes I photoshopped out the serial number.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BabyBrowning.jpg (105.7 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg BabyBrowning_scratch.jpg (108.1 KB, 147 views)
Old June 14, 2007, 12:49 AM   #6
Bill DeShivs

Get some 44/40 cold blue and soak a toothpick in it. Clean the scratch with alcohol on a Q tip. Trace the scratch (only) with the tip of the soaked toothpick until the color is correct. Oil the repaired spot heavily, and inspect it for rust frequently. It won't be perfect, but it's the best you can do. The scratch is small, and ill not be noticeable.
Old June 14, 2007, 11:16 AM   #7
Fremmer

Try some shoe polish on that scratch. Won't make it go away, but might improve the way it looks.
Old June 15, 2007, 08:09 PM   #8
Tom2

That little thing? Man I was expecting a long gouge down the length of the slide or something. I think the cold blue trick will work if you use care. Especially since it is so small. Of course you might see it on close examination, but do the blue, then put a thin film of oil over it and you won't ever see the glint of bare steel from any reasonable distance, and you might have to point it out to others. Now if it was a big round bare spot, then you would see the difference in the blue alot easier, but heck, that should be a cinch to fix. PS I fired the baby I once had and found it to be reliable and not bad to shoot. Only that there is not much there to hold onto. I got mine for like 300 and sold it for not much more. It had a place near the muzzle of the slide that was bare steel and had tiny rust pits. As I recall, the rest of the gun was perfect. I cleaned up that small spot and cold blued it too. Really not very noticeable and could pass the gunshow eye check unless you looked really really close. I was happy with the fix. Yours should look better.
Old June 16, 2007, 09:14 AM   #9
Harry Bonar

scratch

Sir:
Sorry for the problem but Tom2 is right!
Harry B.
Old June 16, 2007, 11:16 AM   #10
srtrax

I like the G-96 cold blue for that type of touch up and works great for the end of muzzles on truck guns (floorboard riding). Comes in a waxy cream type mixture.
Old June 16, 2007, 01:41 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

I also was thinking of some long deep score mark in the side of the slide. A little cold blue should do the job on that small scratch and it will never be noticed. FWIW, I second G-96 gun bluing and find their G-96 Gun Treatment to be the best all-around cleaner, penetrant, preservative on the market.

Jim
Old June 16, 2007, 05:45 PM   #12
srtrax

Jim: I have never used the Gun Treatment, if its a good as the cold blue i should give it a try, thanks for the heads up i'll get a can and try it!
Old June 16, 2007, 07:40 PM   #13
ammo.crafter

Try Van's Instant Gun Blue. I've used this product on old beat up, rusty shotguns with exceptional reslut.

Very easy to use, too.
Old June 18, 2007, 08:12 PM   #14
Tom2

With exceptional what?!