The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 11, 2010, 11:23 AM   #1
Slats

Newbie reloading .45-70

I've recently purchased a Marlin GG and want to start reloading for it. I have a friend who reloads for his .32 special and he has offered to help get me started using his setup (RCBS Rock Chucker) provided I get my dies, shell holders and expendables.
Will I need anything else? Any helpful .45-70 specific tips for a complete newb?
(I've read the thread for newbs and am picking up "The ABC's of Reloading")
Old February 11, 2010, 11:38 AM   #2
kraigwy

the 45-70 isn't difficult to load for unless you are talking about loading black powder. Its hard to get enough powder in the case. I use a drop tube that helps but it still requires a heavy crimp to keep the bullet from being pushed out when the powder expands. With Black Powder I recommend a veg. fiber wad over the powder and a bit of bee's wax between the wad and the bullet.

If you dont want to fool with black powder, yet want to keep to BP velocities I found in my Browning 1895, 29 grns of 4198 equals the factory 405 BP load in velocity.

With a 405 grn bullet you dont need to load it to 458 velocities, all you get out of that is a rifle that ckicks like a mule.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 11, 2010, 06:10 PM   #3
flashhole

Try looking at this, it might help.

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech...h_notes.htm/49

Are you ready for civil war?