The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 9, 2010, 12:02 AM   #1
PendletonCowboy

Reduced .243 load using 55gr & H4895

I am trying to put together a youth load Using the Nosler 55gr ballistic tip bullet. I read that the H4895 can be reduced by 60% of max load (see Hodgdon link below) and in Sierra's book the 55 gr bullet uses 38.4 grains of H4895.

I also found a reduced load using IMR4198 for 70, 80, 90 and 100 gr loads. Is there a way to scale the loads of these bullets to the grain of bullet I want to use (55 gr)? I did notice that while most other powders scale down as bullet weight does up, the opposite is true for this powder. Due to the burn rate I presume?

Does anyone have such a load already?
Suggestions?

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Youth%20Loads.pdf

Thanks for the feedback.
Old February 9, 2010, 09:42 PM   #2
sourdough44

I took a peek at the Hodgdon manual & it shows 40-44.5 with your 55 grn Nosler BT in the 243 with H4895. The '60% rule' lowers you all the way to 26.7 with H4895. I stay away from the extreme edges of the low & high end, but you still have a wide range available(26.7-44.5). It depends on your intended use but I would use 65-85 grn bullets, & H4895 is a fine choice. I have had good luck with H4895 in the 36+ grn area with 70 grn bullets in my Mod 70 243. That's even on the low side of listed charge data, but plenty to do the job. I have also used RL-15 with 85 grn bullets & go to H-4350 with 95 & 100 grn bullets.
Old February 9, 2010, 09:54 PM   #3
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Hey Pendletoncowboy,

Guess you must be a bit South of me if Pendleton is where you call home.

Been through there and done that, a bunch of times as I lived in Johnday when I met my wife. She was in Washington, so I saw that road a few times.

Anyway, READ the books and be very careful in decreasing powder charges if you do not find the information in relyable sources.

I have shot a 243 for years, and find the recoil to be very low, so decreasing the velocity to lower levels with the 55gr bullet and with safe and recommended loads should make it a kitten to shoot.

Some of the powder and bullet companies have hot lines or web sites and seem to be good at answering our questions.

The H4895 should be good at their recommended levels.

Personally I am going the other direction with the 55gr Balistic tip and saw velocities of over 4000fps from my old RUGER "flat bolt" .243, this past Fall.

First time I have ever seen those numbers come up on the cronograph.

Groups weren't good, but other powders have shown promise but at a bit lower velocities.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot