The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 6, 2010, 12:10 PM   #1
ThunderChicken

New to reloading, case lube questions

Howdy!

I'm brand new to reloading. And after purchasing reading the Speer, Hornady and lyman manuals, I purchased the Lee Breech Lock challenger kit.

I have purchased the dies for my calibers as well as the Lee Case Length Gages and Shellholders for them.

I'm just about ready to begin to test my operation and do some practice loads without powder but I have some concerns about the case lube.

It seems there are many different opinions on the lube process, type and application. What would be the best for a beginner?

I have read that you need to put the correct amount on the case, not too little and not too much. How does one know when they have enough on the case without putting too much on?

Thanks for your help!

JC
Old February 6, 2010, 12:20 PM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Welcome to the forum! It depends what kind of cases we are talking about here. Give us a little more info and we can help you out!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old February 6, 2010, 12:25 PM   #3
grumpa72

I have only been reloading for about 18 months and, as suggested, it depends on what you are reloading.

If you are doing pistol with carbide dies, then no lube is required. If you are doing rifle, then lubing is required. This is what I bought and use on my .223 - http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...equestid=53126

You need to give more info.
Old February 6, 2010, 12:33 PM   #4
ThunderChicken

This would be for reloading .223 and 30.06 calibers.

I have the carbide dies for my pistol reloads as well.

Thanks!

JC
Old February 6, 2010, 12:38 PM   #5
DaveInPA

I use Dillon spray lube. I throw all the cases in a box, spray them, shake the box, spray them again, shake the box again. Wait 5 minutes then resize them all. Then I tumble them to remove the case lube.

Stay away from Hornady One Shot for rifle cases. You WILL get one stuck in the resizing die.
Old February 6, 2010, 02:50 PM   #6
Shoney

In 5 decades of reloading I have tried just about all the commercial lubes and sprays. And in addition I have tried a lot of the home brew lubes. The best is Imperial Sizing Wax.

When do you know you have too much lube? It is always better to have too much than not enough. You will know you have too much when you see dimples on the shoulder of the case.

If you use a spray lube, especially on small caliber cases, you are going to stick a case sooner or later. I stay away from spray lubes especially for rifle. Carbide dies for all straight walled pistol eliminates the need for lube.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old February 6, 2010, 03:05 PM   #7
DaveInPA

One caveat is that lube does help progressive presses run smoothly, even when loading pistol calibers with carbide dies.
Old February 6, 2010, 06:59 PM   #8
mrawesome22

Imperial sizing wax. Good stuff.
Old February 6, 2010, 07:06 PM   #9
DaveInPA

The imperial wax does work well but it's very impractical for high volume reloaders.
Old February 6, 2010, 08:44 PM   #10
frogsaw

There is a lot of good advise on this thread.

I use the Dillon spray type lube. Besure to follow the directions and all the alcohol to evaporate before resizing your brass. The lube doesn't work right until the alcohol is gone.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter Please Explain:

Quote:
It depends what kind of cases we are talking about here.
Old February 6, 2010, 08:51 PM   #11
crimsondave

Honestly, I use Hornady one shot, but I recommend you do NOT use it. I've never had a problem with it, but too many people on here have.

As for the slime, imperial is great stuff. The Lee lube that likely came with your kit works good too. Back when I used the slime, I liked the RCBS pads.
Old February 6, 2010, 10:12 PM   #12
blu97

lube

I use the white Lee lube, won't hurt your primers or powder, washes off with water, haven't had a stuck case since I started using it.
Old February 6, 2010, 11:55 PM   #13
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Quote:
IllinoisCoyoteHunter Please Explain:

Quote:
It depends what kind of cases we are talking about here.
Straight-wall cartridges can be sized without lube with carbide dies.....Not so much the case with bottle-neck cartridges.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
Old February 7, 2010, 03:45 AM   #14
dmazur

The classic old-fashioned way (from Speer #13 reloading manual) -

Rifle cases must be lubricated before resizing to prevent sticking in the sizing die. For single-stage loading, use a case lube pad with a good reloading lubricant such as RCBS Case Lube-2 that is designed specifically for reloading. Other shop lubricants may not work properly under the heavy stress of sizing. Place about a half-teaspoon of lube on the pad and rub it in evenly over the surface of the pad. Allow a few minutes for the lube to soak in.

Place about 5 inspected cases on the pad and lightly roll them so that each case has a thin film of lube completely around the body. Avoid getting lube on the shoulder or neck. Excess lube trapped at this point can cause hydraulic dents in the case shoulder.

The inside of the case neck can accumulate propellant residue that can make neck expansion and bullet seating more difficult. The inside of the case necks can be lubricated by either lightly dragging the open end of the case across the pad or by rolling a case neck brush on the pad and brushing the inside of the neck. Avoid excessive lube in the neck area. Too much lube can contaminate the propellant powder...

Note that there isn't much lube being used here. Half a teaspoon, spread over the entire pad, and let it soak in. When you roll the cases over the surface, a visual examination will show a thin film. Almost invisible. That's what you want.
Old February 7, 2010, 11:22 AM   #15
CrustyFN

I use Hornady One Shot. I put a couple hundred 223 cases in a large Ziplok bag and give it a couple of shots. Mix it around by hand and then give it a other shot. Mix it around for a couple minutes then dump them out and let them dry for five minutes. Once they are dry you are good to go. Also the can of one shot has to be shaken very good before spraying to make sure the lubricant is being sprayed and not just the alcohol.
Old February 7, 2010, 11:45 AM   #16
gearheadpyro

I just got some Hornady Unique case lube in. It's really good stuff. You get about twice as much for nearly half the price of Imperial Sizing Wax. Just a teeny tiny dab of it is all it takes. It smoothed things up a good bit when compared to the RCBS case lube and pad. I just wiped it off with a paper towel after sizing.
Old February 7, 2010, 12:43 PM   #17
hodaka

The Lee stuff in the toothpaste tube works well but I have been using Imperial for the past 5 years. I also discovered that Kiwi Mink Oil boot wax works just as well as Imperial and is much cheaper.
Old February 7, 2010, 12:49 PM   #18
RichC

I'm relatively new to reloading, but picked up this technique from a friend and long time reloader.

I take a large ziploc bag and put a paper towel in there. Generally it is two or three sheets folder on the perforations to make a solid layer.

I spray two shots of Dillon case lube on there. Then I put a handful of cases in the bag, probably 30 or so, and roll them around on the paper towel for a bit. I'll squirt another shot of the Dillon lube after every third handful.

So far so good.
Old February 8, 2010, 03:51 PM   #19
88KEYS

Case Lube Tip

I have been loading for 30 years and have stuck a few cases in the past, lube is important and must be done correctly or you have some problems. I will share a lube that I have used a few times just found out about it recently while watching u-tube, reloading tips.

The guy was using synthetic motor oil had 223 case and dipped it in a shallow container like a jar lid, approx 1/4 inch full then using your fingers wipe it down the sides and run about 7-10 through the die, you will feel it when it needs more. I tried this stuff and it works the best of anything that I have used before. I then tumble them, cleaning before loading. I just wanted to throw this out, it worked great for me.

Do a search for the clip on u-tube, found some other good ideas.
Old February 8, 2010, 04:30 PM   #20
jimkim

I use Bag Balm from Walmart. You can use STP, Bag Balm, or Alberto VO5 hairdressing gel. Believe it or not.
Quote:
I'm still using a tube of VO5 I got ten years ago. Got no hair anymore, so for sizing brass it lasts a long time. 8-)
Ed Harris(the guy that invented Ed's Red and used to write for the NRA)

I used to use the fancy stuff from the reloading stores, but I found out they had the same ingredients as the stuff I posted.

Bag Balm is 99.7% Lanolin-Petroleum(vaseline), and 8-hydroxyquinoline sulfate 0.3% (antiseptic).

You can also make your own. http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm#Sizing

Last edited by jimkim; February 8, 2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old February 8, 2010, 05:20 PM   #21
Shoney

Lubes For Your Reloading Gear

There once was a guy who knew all about lubes
The people who listened were silly boobs.

“I have the perfect lube.” With a smile he said
Cures problems with sizing , hiccups, and wetting the bed!

The answer to your reloading lubrication blues
Use Preparation-H, it’s a magical ooze.

For reloading I told him that I would pass
I said he could shove it up his a-a-a-a-a-a - sizing die

I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old February 8, 2010, 06:30 PM   #22
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Shoney, you are a piece of work!!!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
Old February 8, 2010, 06:52 PM   #23
longranger

I switched from Imperial to Sharp Shoot R/Royal sizing lube easiest to use yet. And you can eat it if your hungry.: http://www.paulcompany.com/
Old February 8, 2010, 07:47 PM   #24
brotus2

I'm new too, so I'm bumping to save it.
Old February 8, 2010, 08:14 PM   #25
Dave R

Shoney, you made my day. Thanks!

----------------
I like the Cabela's spray lube. 3 sprays every time. Haven't stuck one yet. I DID stick one with Hornady One-Shot. And I use the Lee toothpaste if I'm doing small volume.

May have to try that Prep-H stuff...