The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 3, 2010, 06:30 PM   #1
polska

RCBS case trimmer question

New guy to this forum. I'm seeking info or opinions on RCBS's power unit which connects to there trim pro trimmer.I already own the trimmer and was interested if the power unit is worth the money.I have a Gracey trimmer for my .223, 30-06 and .308 and it works great. I use the RCBS for 7.62X54,30-40 .303, 8mm, 7mm,6.5mm,45-70, 30 carbine and 7.62 Arg.As you see,I load for alot of different calibers and I am getting tired of cranking the manual trimmer.So does anyone own one or heard anything good or bad?
Old February 3, 2010, 07:29 PM   #2
Jobfix

RCBS Power Case Trimmer

Own one and it has worked very well, use it for 22, 24 & 30 cal.

I have also used this unit to turn case necks with RCBS special tool heads.

This task is a little tricky, the neck pilot guide must be checked with a dial indicator & in my case shimmed to get good run out, before turning brass.

Back to original question: You can trim a lot of brass in no time after careful set-up.
Old February 3, 2010, 07:30 PM   #3
oldscot3

You can hook a cordless drill to it with a simple adapter, the power unit is a more expensive way to do the same thing.

If you look around at other brands of power trimmers, be advised... RCBS made their trimmer pilots with a smaller diameter shank. They will not interchange with other brands. If you switch to a Redding or Forster unit you will have to buy collets and pilots in addition to the unit. Some kits include a few of the popular ones, but, looking at your list of cartridges, you'll have to buy more to complete your inventory.
Old February 3, 2010, 11:32 PM   #4
reloader28

+1 on the drill.
You can buy the little adapter to fit a 3/8" drill, but if you have a 1/2" drill, just take the handle off and put the drill on the shaft.
My brother loves his power unit ,but I wont waste my money on it as long as I have a drill.
It will scratch the end of the shaft eventually, but I dont trim anything small enough for that to effect anyway.
It's also faster than the RCBS one.
Old February 4, 2010, 06:38 PM   #5
James R. Burke

I have one. Bought it awhile ago, has one unit for a better price. I love it dont know what I would do without it. Saves alot of work and time. Never had one problem with it and they also have a great warranty.
Old February 4, 2010, 09:57 PM   #6
chiefr

This is my first post on this site.
I bought the RCBS not too long ago and once you get used to it, you wonder why you did without one. I read the reviews before the purchase which were 90% favorable. If you trim a lot of cases, IMHO, it is worth it.
I have relied on my Forster for at least 35 years and trimmed unbelievable numbers of cases and the Forster still works as it did when it was new, however, no more blisters on my fingers when I sit & trim large numbers of 30 cal or larger cases thanks to the RCBS.
Old February 5, 2010, 01:58 PM   #7
thekyrifleman

I have one and find it quite acceptable. But frankly speaking, I use the Lee trimmer much more often. Gives me accurate, excellent results and when I use the power drill option, quite a bit faster than the RCBS even with its electric motor assist. I can trim, chamfer, and clean the cases. I use either xxxx steel wool or some degreaser on a micrfiber towel. This removes the One Shot sizing lube and give a nice bright like new case.
Old February 5, 2010, 04:16 PM   #8
Rembrandt

I'm happy with mine. Sometimes wonder what it would be like if the RPM's were a little faster. The feature I really like is the trim-pro 3 way cutter head...does all operations at one time.

Old February 5, 2010, 05:15 PM   #9
Peter M. Eick

I like mine. I have 3 way cutters for all calibers I load and I just run every round every time through it. It costs me next to nothing to run it through so why not have perfectly trimmed brass every time.

One of these days I will use it to trim all of my pistol brass but not today....
Old February 10, 2010, 09:18 AM   #10
polska

Well thanks guys,as most of you gave it a thumbs up, I decided to buy it.I drove to Cabela's Sunday and took advantage of the 10% coupon from the NRA in the American Rifleman.You guys were right it works great. I like it more than my Gracey because my thumb nolonger gets sore holding a case in the Gracey collet as it trims.Thanks again for all those who contributed.