The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 2, 2010, 11:02 PM   #1
TheBigO

Local Stores Saying They are Out of Reloading Supplies only to have them in Stock?

This may just be me, however I have called several local stores to see of they had reloading supplies in, mainly primers, only to have them tell me no. Later when I have gone in I found that they did in fact have them in stock. Once I called and was told they were out only to go into the store an hour later and see them on the shelf. Anyone see anything similar or am I just coming up with some conspiracy theory in my head?
Old February 2, 2010, 11:05 PM   #2
grubbylabs

I think it is all in your head, I was just in the same store an hour ago and there was not a single primer on the shelf
Old February 2, 2010, 11:09 PM   #3
azar92

It's entirely possible the employee that answered the phone didn't know. Reloading components don't often sit long on the shelves these days and get restocked as they come in. A "conspiracy" just wouldn't make sense. They carry a product in order to sell it to the customers to make money. Why would they try to "trick you" out of you giving them your money.

My opinion, simple coincidence. And no, it hasn't happened to me.
Old February 2, 2010, 11:10 PM   #4
Shoney

It is probably a case of poorly trained or lazy help. Either they are too lazy to look or are deliberately telling you they are out for any number of poor reasons.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old February 2, 2010, 11:17 PM   #5
TheBigO

ahhh good point lazy staff... funny that I missed the most likely scenario.
Old February 2, 2010, 11:50 PM   #6
Crashbox

It hasn't happened to me by phone but a few weeks ago I was in Kesselring's down in Burlington (WA) and the guy told me they didn't have any small pistol magnum primers when in fact I could actually see them (and I'm extremely nearsighted!!!). I pointed them out to him and he said they came in the previous day... hmmm...

But I did manage to get a brick each of regular and magnum small pistol primers- maybe I was pushing the envelope asking for two bricks in one day...!!!
Old February 2, 2010, 11:58 PM   #7
That'll Do

I think I read somewhere here or on CastBoolits that some stores were saying that they didn't have primers or powder in stock due to the fact that speculators were coming in and buying all their inventory, then turning around and selling it at super-inflated prices.
Old February 3, 2010, 12:15 AM   #8
TheBigO

hey CRASHBOX I called and emailed Kesselring's yesterday and they said they were out, leave some for the next guy huh! haha On a different note you go to that gun show out in Lynden last weekend?
Old February 3, 2010, 02:56 AM   #9
1911 Shooter

Some mom & pop shops have hot items under the counter, in reserve , for their a-1 customers.. some have limits, wise choice. the stores have limits too when times get tough.
Old February 3, 2010, 07:13 AM   #10
the_right_reverend

Must be nice to have STORE'S to cry about

Down east NC we have one store that is really proud of their inventory, during the shortage they were asking $80 per 1000 on primers!!! ain't been back since then I will stimulate the economy, but I will not make your house payment and feed your family

another store had a few and were proud of them also and the staff were really rude and didn't much care if they had your business or not, no big deal there they have since lost their FFL.

But the one store that held my attention/patronage when the pipeline started to flow again started to bring everything back in stock at their old prices $30 per 1000 on primers and a reasonable markup (20 percent) on the limited choice powder...... showed my appreciation on black Friday (dropped a couple grand there) and thanked the owner for not jacking the prices up
Now every Couple weeks I drop in and buy 1/2 of everything they have on the shelves that I can use (powder and primers)..... that works out to 20,000 primers and 40 lbs of powder!!!! I am a good customer.......

I am not hoarding I am creating a demand
Old February 3, 2010, 07:21 AM   #11
Crashbox

Quote:
hey CRASHBOX I called and emailed Kesselring's yesterday and they said they were out, leave some for the next guy huh! haha On a different note you go to that gun show out in Lynden last weekend?
It would be interesting to call and subsequently make a drive down there just to see...

Yes, I went to the gun show both Saturday and Sunday. I didn't see anything I needed except for a pair of ammo cans and other trivial miscellanea. I thought the vast majority of prices were too high, e.g., $45 for a brick of small pistol primers (Winchester IIRC), $26+ dollars for one-pound jars of various powders, and most of the guns were $$$$$. If I had more disposable income though I might have snagged a Model 1895 Winchester chambered for the .30-03... It was fun to look around but that's about it.

Did you happen to make it there?
Old February 3, 2010, 07:25 AM   #12
charlie-6

They was out for lunch.
Old February 3, 2010, 07:34 AM   #13
alloy

My favorite store always has 200 of whatever primers I need for 3 bux per and it's really takes the bite out of any shortage, but I hear people in the same small area saying they can't find them anywhere....so who knows? Sometimes they are very old packaging so obviously the employees are keeping some small level stock up with their own, while waiting on orders. Got some red and white CCI a few weeks ago and some red/orange and white winchester last week.
Old February 3, 2010, 08:15 AM   #14
Uncle Buck

If you had called the store and they said yes, we have 50K primers in stock and you went down and found none on the shelves, would you have believe the sales clerk when they told you someone else had bought them? These guys can not win either way. They are liars if they tell you they do not have them and they are liars if they tell you they did have them but sold out.

I was at Osage Thrift Shop, Sedalia MO and they had all kinds of primers on the shelf. (Actually on the shelf, not behind the counter where you had to ask for them.) They were priced between $30.00 - $39.00 per K, depending on brand.
Old February 3, 2010, 09:28 AM   #15
jaguarxk120

Here in SW Michigan the last gun show primers were $40/1000, the vendors that had them. The local Gander Mtn. has 209's $4.99/100.
Old February 3, 2010, 09:44 AM   #16
the_right_reverend

that true Uncle Buck the guys at the store can't win

Put a few bucks away every month for the Graf's Outlet Mega Run while I am home for Christmas (Thats a 1100 mile drive) and they limit you to only 1000 primers of everything they have on the shelf and all I use are LR and SR CCI Magnums and not in stock for bullets that you are dieing to try and no Varget

AND!!!! to top it off the Seirra Outlet is closed for inventory
Old February 3, 2010, 10:32 AM   #17
TheBigO

CrashBox-

Yes I was at that show and thought that it was a bee's nest. I was looking for a XD9-M and found one on my way home at the Trading Post. I also thought that parking was poor. I love how at those shows all the old crap that i dont know who will buy. But I guess that is part of the flavor.
Old February 3, 2010, 11:19 AM   #18
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Buck
If you had called the store and they said yes, we have 50K primers in stock and you went down and found none on the shelves, would you have believe the sales clerk when they told you someone else had bought them? These guys can not win either way. They are liars if they tell you they do not have them and they are liars if they tell you they did have them but sold out.

While I agree that it's "safer" to say you're out when you're not, it's much more likely to just be a lazy employee who won't bother to check.

If I had 50k primers and someone called on the phone to inquire about them then I'd say "Yes, I have them, and I have a lot of them but I don't limit quantities and I don't hold them by phone request so you might want to get down here."

Then, if someone came in and bought ALL of them, I could just show the guy the sales record.

Honesty. It works.
Old February 3, 2010, 11:34 AM   #19
Don P

Quote:
CastBoolits
Just curious as to why people continue to spell boolits and Barretta like this. Is it they are ignorant to the correct spelling? Or just trying to be different?
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old February 3, 2010, 11:35 AM   #20
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Just curious as to why people continue to spell boolits...
"Boolits" is used to distinguish cast bullets from "commercial" bullets and/or ammo.

Beretta, I can't help you there... spelling it with phonics I suppose, and not bothering to "right-click" on the red, underlined word...
Old February 3, 2010, 12:07 PM   #21
Don P

Quote:
Boolits" is used to distinguish cast bullets from "commercial" bullets and/or ammo

Understood and to me bullets are bullets whether cast or plated or fmj. Just me and thanks for the insight.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old February 3, 2010, 01:34 PM   #22
langenc

Maybe the stores you called like to have primers for 'in store' customers rather than transients.

I can see getting rid of them and banking your money BUT I can also see having some for a shooter who is buying cases, dies, cleaning rod and who knows what else, maybe a rifle.
Old February 3, 2010, 05:53 PM   #23
That'll Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP
Just curious as to why people continue to spell boolits and Barretta like this. Is it they are ignorant to the correct spelling? Or just trying to be different?
Neither...CastBoolits is the name of the website.

A "boolit" is slang for a homemade cast bullet. I know that some folks have an issue with the spelling of it (not trying to imply anything about anyone here), but personally it doesn't bother me. Just a word.
Old February 3, 2010, 06:24 PM   #24
Unclenick
Staff

I understand the advertising-influenced need to devise original and cute spellings, but it just slows reading down. Especially, in this instance, since the bullet casting equipment makers don't use the term 'boolits". I always find I hesitate a moment when I run into it while my brain remembers what it is supposed to refer to?

I may just be getting old and cranky, but as an extreme example, I once read a volume of letters written in England in the mid 1500's. This was before English spelling was standardized and when it was considered a sign of sophistication to be creative with spelling. It can take half an hour to read a page of that stuff. Not easy sailing. At any rate, if effective communication is one of your objectives, adhering to standard spelling, punctuation, and capitalization promotes clarity.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 3, 2010, 06:30 PM   #25
Tex S

Seeing "boolit" spelled like that is aggravating. I guess its cool if you like to appear illiterate, but other than that I don't see a point.

Plus, the mods here don't like it and its not allowed on this board. See here.