The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 14, 2012, 04:02 PM   #1
4T4MAG

Case neck catching on expander

I am sizing some 22-250 rem. shells. I am using a Redding FL sizer die with a single state RCBS press with a RCBS #3 shell holder. I load several other rifle and straight wall cases. I have never run in to this problem. I am getting bent rims on the case neck. I have to wiggle the brass to make sure it does not catch on the botton of the expander ball and dent the rim. The shell holder #3, according to the chart is correct. Usually, my brass while sitting on the ram raises nearly straight and enters the die with no problem. Any ideas?
Old March 14, 2012, 04:40 PM   #2
mehavey

Quote:
have to wiggle the brass to make sure it does not catch on the botton of the expander ball and dent the rim.
Totally normal. (I usually guide my cases by hand until settled in as a matter of course anyway.)
The smaller .223 case neck diameter just makes that step a little more noticeable.
Old March 14, 2012, 05:25 PM   #3
BigJimP

I'd check for grit ...around the case holder...or in the threads of the die...something causing the case not to go straight up into the die.

On some presses - there is an adjustment on how the case fits into that resizing station...

but a little grit in there...can cause it to wobble a little and jam .../ or if your press isn't really solid on the bench ...it doesn't take much to get the case to wobble..which is probably what is causing the issue.
Old March 14, 2012, 05:46 PM   #4
HiBC

Also,is the spindle centered in the die?.If not,it may be bent or ,sometimes they just do not find home when you tigten the lock nut.With a brass in the die,ram up,the decap pin is holding the spindle centered pretty well.Try loosening and re-tightening your spindle lock ring.

I think Hornady makes a carbide elliptical expander ball or spindle that is designed to retrofit to RCBS dies.I do not know if that can be used in a Redding.

Forster's benchrest dies are a little different,The expander is higher on the spindle,just below the case shoulder.Alignments ought to be better there.

If you get annoyed enough,the price of the Forster die may be worth it.

You may be able to chuck up your spindle in a drill press or lathe and stone a little better lead in on the spindle tip.
Old March 14, 2012, 06:44 PM   #5
langenc

Make sure the nut on the shaft that holds the decapping pin is tight. If loos that can cause some 'offcentering' of the expander ball. Lube the inside of the case neck makes the expander go in/out much easier.
Old March 14, 2012, 09:14 PM   #6
4T4MAG

It is a brand new die set from Brownell's. I really hope it's not bent out of shape.
Old March 15, 2012, 12:45 AM   #7
Ideal Tool

Hello, 4T4Mag. I had this problem when loading .222 Rem. Easiest if you have access or know someone with lathe..a portable drill will do, if you can clamp in place. Chuck that expander button up & using first coarse, followed by med. hones & plenty of oil, stone a radius on end of button. All the major loading companies in the past did this before shipping dies...just another extra quality step lost due to the bottom line mentality of today.