The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 10, 2010, 06:36 PM   #1
mwcarl

Lee pro auto Disk Powder Measure Problem?

I recently bought a lee classic turret press and attached the lee pro auto disk powder measure. I am finding during cleanup after reloading 50 rounds of 45 ACP a large amount of powder left around the hole of the auto disk. When I say large amount it is mounded about half an inch high around the hole. I also notice that I am having to go up two to three disk sizes to get the right load amount from what the Lee manual states. Is this normal for the Lee pro auto Disk powder measure or do I have something set up wrong?
Old February 10, 2010, 07:06 PM   #2
rwilson452

something is set up wrong for sure.
Old February 10, 2010, 07:13 PM   #3
rwilson452

On second thought, you may have mounted the hopper backwards. Uh, not the hopper itself but the assembly that bolts to the base of the measure that the hopper mounts to.
Old February 10, 2010, 07:16 PM   #4
The_Vigilante

Lee pro auto Disk Powder Measure Problem?

Lee is conservative with their powder measurements so it is normal to have to go several sizes larger to get the load you are looking for. Ever since I have been using Lee's Pro I have always had powder sitting on top of the disk-never has caused a problem for me-YMMV.
Old February 10, 2010, 07:22 PM   #5
TheBigO

Question-
Is this when you are taking the powder charger off when you are done loading? If so you need to turn the hopper to off then cycle a .45 shell through a few times though dumping it each time back into the hopper. Do this until there is no longer any powder in the shell. The left over you are getting is from the space between where the hopper closes and the auto disk sits. I did the same thing the first time I broke mine down. I also found that the number that was given on the chart for grains of powder was a bit light. At every cycle of the hopper I give it a little tap to settle the powder and that has seemed to help.

Hope that this helps and is worth the time it took to read-
Old February 10, 2010, 07:31 PM   #6
gearheadpyro

+1 Big O,

When I'm done loading I'll empty the charger out just like the big o said. Run a case through it until it comes out empty (after closing the valve of course.)

I would have to think that this is where your mystery powder is coming from.

Lee is indeed very conservative with powder measurements as stated earlier. I use their chart as a starting point, from which I weigh and adjust as needed.
Old February 10, 2010, 09:08 PM   #7
mwcarl

Yeah, its when I'm done reloading and take it apart. Thanks for the advice. The next time reload I'll turn the hopper off and cycle through until I get no powder.