The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 11, 2015, 01:20 AM   #1
madmax700

New Aero Precision Upper, Questions about Keymod

Hey everyone,

I just bought a new Aero Precision upper for my M&P Sport that came with a 13" Parallax Tactical KeyMod handguard and a Midwest Industries 16" 1:9 twist barrel. I wanted to lighten up the gun (Factory M&P 15 sports are HEAVY! The barrel is definitely not government contour) and have an upper with no A2 front sight as well. This will, however, be my first venture into the KeyMod world, so I'm hoping someone can help point me in the direction of some quality accessories such as vertical grips and possibly bipod mounts that are KeyMod compatible. I know I could just slap on a rail section, but I at least want to try the KeyMod system out, and I REALLY like the clean look of the direct attachment accessories. I always hated the little gap between my old handguard and the vertical grip, so hopefully this will solve that problem.

Anything else you can tell me from your experiences with KeyMod systems would be appreciated. Last thing I want is to lose my vertical grip halfway through a stage at a 3 gun match, or even worse lose my grip all together because it fell off somewhere without me noticing. Any tips/tricks to the whole thing?

Thanks, and OF COURSE here is a picture of the new digs

Old February 11, 2015, 03:05 AM   #2
madmax700

Another question for all of you out there:

My barrel is marked TA 5.56 NATO 1:9

Any idea who manufactured the barrel? Also my upper is marked with a square forging mark, so I'm starting to think the seller might have just been using names of manufacturers he thought might catch the attention of buyers like yours truly.

Can anyone help??
Old February 11, 2015, 05:57 AM   #3
Ibmikey

The M&P barrel is nitride (Melonite) finished and therefore hard as heck, you may find machinists reluctant to turn it down to save weight. Easier way would be to buy a new barrel in the contour you want, barrel changes are a thirty minute job. The square mark on your receiver means the raw forging was done by BAFE (Brass and Aluminum Forging Ent.) the final machining was done by ?
Old February 13, 2015, 12:15 PM   #4
shrewd

Make sure you loktite the screws on any accessory you attach to the handguard