The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 23, 2014, 02:57 PM   #26
R1145

Good judgement

A quick toot at a distracted driver is not a misuse of the horn, and, although every story has two sides, from the account given, the OP did everything right.

+1 to filing a report with police, and a dashcam seems like technology whose time has come...

The situation could easily have escalated into a use of force, but to his credit, the OP was able to de-escalate the situation. In spite of the posturing and bravado on internet forums, talk is cheap: Much cheaper than the inevitable civil suit...!
Old April 23, 2014, 03:27 PM   #27
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1145
A quick toot at a distracted driver is not a misuse of the horn, and, although every story has two sides, from the account given, the OP did everything right.
I agree. I've spent many years commuting in major cities. And for five of those years driving was part of my job. When the person in front of you is distracted and doesn't notice the light has turned green, it's completely OK to give a short, quick "toot" to tell them to go; I've done it literally hundreds of times.

Heck, in some places (Like DC) many people do office work at stoplights and rely on the people behind them to tell them when the light is green. I've never, ever had anyone get mad at me when I tooted the horn. The key is to give a short, quick, quiet honk; that's not rude at all. However, laying on the horn in a long blast is something different altogether.
Old April 23, 2014, 03:37 PM   #28
Strafer Gott

I suppose honking the horn is the automotive equivalent of yelling at someone.
Maybe in the future they won't come as standard equipment. Seems as though I remember a horn being on the required equipment list in some locals.
I wonder whatever for, if not sounding off at dumb-nesses.
Old April 23, 2014, 07:30 PM   #29
johnelmore

The HP F210 dash cam goes into the cigarette lighter but Best Buy Geek Squad can hard wire it in for you. Its automatic and has a motion sensor.

A dashcam can either help you or incriminate you. So you have to be at your best when running one and make sure your actions demonstrate good judgement. I would have gotten the plate and a picture of the driver had I been running one.
Old April 23, 2014, 09:46 PM   #30
Jim567

sbaker10

Find it kind of surprising really. If I'm day dreaming and don't notice the light chance ans somebody honks I don't get angry I just feel embarrassed for holding them up.
---------------------
Ah -yea!
I guess rational responses just can't be assumed these days.
Course I had two road rage incidents living in South Florida 20 years ago.
Old April 23, 2014, 11:15 PM   #31
thump_rrr

Back in the early 80's before cell phones became popular I was driving my dad's 79 Cadillac Seville one evening with my best friend. We were heading to a movie and were driving behind a car which had no tail lights on. It was a summer evening and we had the windows down.
The car stops at a light and we pull up next to the car. There were 2 guys in the car. I say "excuse me. I'm just letting you know your tail lights" at that point the guy flipped out threatening to kill us.
As he starts getting out of his car I hit the gas, he gets back in his car and the chase is on.

It went on for what felt like 30 minutes and we ended up 15 miles from where we were headed by the time we lost them but at least we were alive.

This happened over 30 years ago and my buddy and I can still recall exactly what the guy looked like.
The problem is you don't know what kind of crazy you will run into.
Old April 24, 2014, 02:54 AM   #32
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
I just feel embarrassed for holding them up.
Exactly.

Rightly call someone on something they have done wrong and they feel dumb and embarrassed. Often the only way people (namely guys) can deal with that is aggression.

People are so worried about how they might be perceived, by a total stranger they will never see again no less, that they'd rather start an altercation than just accept and pull away from the stop line.

Male pride doesn't really seem all that useful in the grand scheme of things.

In the heavily sanitized words of Marcellus Wallace to Butch,
"The night of the fight, you may feel a slight sting. That's pride having its wicked way with you. Just you forget about pride. Pride only hurts, it never helps."
Old April 24, 2014, 01:50 PM   #33
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
I agree not to be antagonistic, but come on, if the light turns green and the person in front of you isn't moving after 10 or 15 seconds a short toot of the horn isn't declaring war. People need to calm the hell down and not take everything as a personal affront.

Color me different but I don't think the OP did a damn thing wrong.
Then color me different as well, because I totally agree.

Quote:
I suppose honking the horn is the automotive equivalent of yelling at someone.
Maybe in the future they won't come as standard equipment. Seems as though I remember a horn being on the required equipment list in some locals.
I wonder whatever for, if not sounding off at dumb-nesses.
No, laying on your horn until they move would be yelling at them. A quick beep or two says, hey buddy, pay attention, which everyone should already be doing while operating a motor vehicle.

On the extremely rare occasion it happens to me, I usually hit the gas while shrinking down into my collar and offering an apologetic wave. It never seems to escalate. On the reverse, I never appear angry when tooting, and seem to pretty much get back the same type of thing.
Old April 24, 2014, 01:59 PM   #34
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie-Ray
No, laying on your horn until they move would be yelling at them. A quick beep or two says, hey buddy, pay attention, which everyone should already be doing while operating a motor vehicle.
This. Only a nut job would take offense at someone giving them a short, quick, quiet beep to remind them to go. While it's a good idea to make a reasonable effort to avoid antagonizing people, it doesn't make sense to go around walking on eggshells, constantly fearful of accidentally offending some nut job.
Old April 24, 2014, 02:32 PM   #35
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
The one thing I regret not doing, which I might do in the future, is file a police report.
Quote:
If you regret not doing it, go do it now.
Right. If you are going to report it here, then why not report it to the police?
Old April 24, 2014, 03:14 PM   #36
HMC8404

I never honk my horn unless it is to warn someone for safety reasons. Our messed up world is full of too many nuts. That being said, if I was alone, and I didn't initiate a confrontation, I may decide to implement my own "stand your ground" rule and wait to see what the guy decided to do. I would, of course, have my weapon cocked and locked directly under the window. That's just me. Once he displays any type of weapon or breaks through the glass...it would be nighty-night for one of us. Too much time in the military I guess.

Last edited by Frank Ettin; April 25, 2014 at 11:24 AM. Reason: delete profanity
Old April 24, 2014, 05:09 PM   #37
jimbob86

Quote:
This. Only a nut job would take offense at someone giving them a short, quick, quiet beep to remind them to go.
Quote:
Our messed up world is full of too many nuts.
This.

Quote:
I never honk my horn unless it is to warn someone for safety reasons.
Good plan.

Last edited by Frank Ettin; April 25, 2014 at 11:24 AM. Reason: delete profanity
Old April 24, 2014, 07:46 PM   #38
KBP75

Just got chased by a random BUS!

I had something similar but much more bazaar happen to me a couple of years ago. I was driving on a major interstate that had construction blocking the passing lane. It was raining hard with poor visibility and I was going the posted speed and a tour bus came up behind me uncomfortably close. I had a two way radio(CB) and asked why he was tailgating me. He took offense and told me to SHUT UP or ELSE and a few other statements that I cannot repeat on this site! I had no way to let him pass me and couldn't see to go faster. Lucky for me the construction ended before he ran over me and he passed me like a bat out of He--! I was relieved about 5 minutes later when he was pulled over by a State Trooper for speeding! I was carrying my 357 at the time but it would have been of little use against a full size bus! Sometimes almost anything can set off a mentally unstable individual. The important thing is NOT to escalate the situation. This driver was not right and with innocent passengers in his bus, I was at a great disadvantage for many reasons! Sometimes you have to pick what fights you have and other times back out. In the end, I had the last laugh!
Old April 24, 2014, 10:09 PM   #39
btmj

As told to me by Mr. Nimrod Idiot:

"Just today I had a guy honk his horn at me. I was on the highway and changing lanes. I was halfway between the middle lane and the far left lane when I became distracted by my phone. I was replying to a text message, and it was a long text message, and I was straddling the dashed line for a long time, maybe a half mile. I was also occupied with trying to sop up the beer I had spilled in my lap because I was trying to text. Between holding the phone, trying to get the beer bottle back in the cup holder, and fumbling in the glove box looking for a paper towel, I sort of drifted back into the far right lane and into the exit only lane. By the time I noticed, the exit was coming up fast. I swerved quickly out of the exit only lane, and some insane maniac who was in my blind spot honked at me... HE HONKED AT ME!!!! "

"Which let's face it, is really a threat of violence. I mean honking is practically assault. I was in fear of my life, so I drew my firearm. Well, I wasn't able to get a good grip on it, so I did not get a clean draw. After much wrenching and jerking I was finally able to get it out of the holster, but then it flew out of my hand and banged into the windshield. It bounced back into my chest and I reached for it with my left hand, and somehow my pinky got snagged on the trigger of that glock 20. Can you believe that stupid gun discharged? The 10mm bullet went into the console right below the dashboard and somehow made its way to the transmission case. Now I got a transmission leak. Thanks a lot Gaston Glock! "

"Any way, the maniac who honked at me must have seen my gun, and maybe he saw the gun go off. So now he is threatening me with his cell phone. He is calling someone, probably his mafia cohorts or some Al Queda operative, and pointing at me very aggressively. I was still trying to get a solid combat grip on the glock, when I realized my ears hurt really really bad. Now I was really mad. Not only did this terrorist assault me with his car, his horn, and now his phone, he forced me to do something which damaged my hearing. However before I could shoot him in justifiable stand my ground self defense, he found an exit and got off the highway. "

"After another mile or so I found an exit, and good thing because the warning light was on. At the gas station I discovered the transmission leak, and then the car would not go into second gear. I refilled my beer cooler in the back seat, and contemplated how lucky I was to be alive, after that vicious assault. I may not have shot the lunatic, but I firmly believe that had I not been armed, I would have further victimized. Only the sight of my glock caused him to flee."

"So my question is Do I file a police report, or just send my story to the "armed citizen" section of the NRA magazine? When will the painful ringing in my ears go away? I need to sue someone to get the money to repair my cars transmission... but who should I sue?"

.... not trying to make a point... just trying to bring some humor into the thread.

Last edited by Frank Ettin; April 25, 2014 at 11:31 AM. Reason: delete vulgarity
Old April 24, 2014, 11:58 PM   #40
Catfishman

Quote:
Quote:
Just got chased by a random car...
It was not a 'random' car kemosabe.

It was an individual you ticked off.

Do you 'randomly' honk your horn at cars to?

Deaf
You seem to indicate he did something wrong. He didn't, kemosabe.

Last edited by Frank Ettin; April 25, 2014 at 11:31 AM. Reason: delete vulgarity
Old April 25, 2014, 11:04 AM   #41
armed_librarian

I'm with the OP

Not sure why the OP is drawing criticism. I also do not feel as though he did anything wrong. Heck, I honestly don't see what could have been done better. He didn't stop and confront, he called 911, he kept moving and didn't endanger himself or any other bystanders. He did good in my eyes.

Sorry, but I get tired of the mindset that we need to walk around on tiptoes so we don't tick anybody off. Responses like this just bug me.
Quote:
Just got chased by a random car...
It was not a 'random' car kemosabe.

It was an individual you ticked off.

Do you 'randomly' honk your horn at cars to?

Deaf
Don't get me wrong, I do my best to avoid as much conflict as I can. However, I'm not gonna second guess little decisions like hitting my horn in fear that its gonna upset someone else. I keep hearing people say America is becoming a nation of sissies and it doesn't seem far off the mark.

Last edited by Frank Ettin; April 25, 2014 at 11:33 AM. Reason: delete vulgarity
Old April 25, 2014, 01:59 PM   #42
Jim243

I see multiple issues with this post.

First:
It is illegal to block an intersection or public street and is a ticket offense in almost all States or communities unless the vehicle is disabled.

Second:
Use of the horn as a signaling device to warn other drivers is not illegal as long as you are not abusive in it's use.

Third:
Anyone that leaves their car to confront you is committing "Aggravated Assault, with intent" (a criminal act) and you are justified to shoot to defend yourself. Just don't shoot them in the back when they see your gun and run away.

Forth:
Get the lic plate number and a description of the car (color, make, type) and do make a police report to protect yourself from wrongful prosecution of drawing your firearm.

Remember "Road Rage" is a criminal act and those commuting it are subject to being jailed for it. While you may have been lucky, the next driver this person comes upon may not be as fortunate and incur serious injury or death.

Let's get these people off our roads.
Jim

Last edited by Jim243; April 25, 2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old April 25, 2014, 02:24 PM   #43
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim243
Anyone that leaves their car to confront you is committing "Aggravated Assault, with intent" (a criminal act) and you are justified to shoot to defend yourself. Just don't shoot them in the back when they see your gun and run away.
I'm no lawyer or use-of-force expert, but this doesn't sound right. Are you saying that if someone stops their car, gets out, and walks toward you aggressively, you have the right to shoot them?
Old April 25, 2014, 03:07 PM   #44
psalm7

My line of work means I get to deal with any and everything that can come up in a large work place that involves lots of employees and the public . You never know what is going to happen when responding these days . This is a rural area and last week we had a Meth head that I had to try and reason with and detain until the City Police picked him up . Road rage is much more common than It used to be and a lot more dangerous I drive around a hour to work and it's not uncommon to see some one get mad and start agressive driving .
Old April 25, 2014, 03:12 PM   #45
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Third:
They may have intent and opportunity, not ability. Hence no reason to use lethal force.

"Aggravated assault with intent" is usually doing physical harm to another person with the intent of committing some other crime. Unless I have misread the statutes, getting out of your car to yell at somebody isn't aggravated assault, with intent or otherwise.
Old April 25, 2014, 04:03 PM   #46
zxcvbob

Quote:
Remember "Road Rage" is a criminal act and those commuting it are subject to being jailed for it. While you may have been lucky, the next driver this person comes upon may not be as fortunate and incur serious injury or death.
I think giving it a name "legitimizes" it somehow and makes it more common -- raises the bar on what they think they can get away with.

We've always had aggressive a-hole drivers, but homicidal maniacs were rare. Now I almost feel that I need to carry my .45 when I ride a bicycle because some nut will try to run me down at an intersection.
Old April 25, 2014, 04:20 PM   #47
Jim243

Quote:
getting out of your car to yell at somebody isn't aggravated assault, with intent or otherwise.
Yes it is (LOL) and that is exactly what you will be charged with if you were to do it. Try doing that to a police officer even during just a traffic stop and see what happens. You have every right to protect yourself as does he or she. And as to intent, that is exactly what they have indicated by aggressively coming at you. (to do bodily harm) Getting out of your car to render assistance is one thing, to attack someone, verbally or otherwise is something completely different.

Violence on the road is no longer a joke and should no longer be tolerated.

If you can not control your temper while driving, you do not belong on the road.
Jim
Old April 25, 2014, 05:05 PM   #48
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Posted by Jim243: Anyone that leaves their car to confront you is committing "Aggravated Assault, with intent" (a criminal act)...
On what do you base that belief?

Quote:
....and you are justified to shoot to defend yourself.
To defend your self against what? What would constitute lawful justification?

Quote:
Just don't shoot them in the back when they see your gun and run away.
Good idea.

Quote:
...do make a police report to protect yourself from wrongful prosecution of drawing your firearm.
If you draw a firearm because someone has left his car to "confront" you, it would be difficult indeed to argue that prosecution would be "wrongful."

Most likely, said act would itself constitute aggravated assault, or whatever it is called in the jurisdiction at hand.
Old April 25, 2014, 05:42 PM   #49
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim243
Yes it is (LOL) and that is exactly what you will be charged with if you were to do it.
Be careful with such broad statements. I can't speak to your state but that claim is absolutely false in NY.

I had a guy chase me up the road, pull into my parking lot, try to slam my car door on my legs and refuse to leave when I told him repeatedly.

He committed no form of assault whatsoever under NY law. He was committing trespassing (No more than a violation, like a speeding ticket) and at most 2nd Degree Aggravated Harassment (Class A Misdemeanor), neither of which is even an offense worthy of custodial arrest, say nothing of a response of deadly force.

Even if he WERE committing assault, which requires intent and actual physical harm, it would be a Class A misdemeanor. If I shot him, it would be ME getting charged with serious crimes, not him.
Old April 25, 2014, 08:27 PM   #50
Jim243

Quote:
I had a guy chase me up the road, pull into my parking lot, try to slam my car door on my legs and refuse to leave when I told him repeatedly.

State of NY statue

Quote:
S 120.10 Assault in the first degree.
A person is guilty of assault in the first degree when:
1. With intent to cause serious physical injury to another person, he
causes such injury to such person or to a third person by means of a
deadly weapon or a dangerous instrument; or
2. With intent to disfigure another person seriously and permanently,
or to destroy, amputate or disable permanently a member or organ of his
body, he causes such injury to such person or to a third person; or
3. Under circumstances evincing a depraved indifference to human life,
he recklessly engages in conduct which creates a grave risk of death to
another person, and thereby causes serious physical injury to another
person; or
4. In the course of and in furtherance of the commission or attempted
commission of a felony or of immediate flight therefrom, he, or another
participant if there be any, causes serious physical injury to a person
other than one of the participants.
Assault in the first degree is a class B felony.

The only question i have is do you shoot him before he injures you or do you have to wait till after you have been injured???

Jim