The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 13, 2010, 05:07 PM   #1
Pongo

I'm considering purchasing a Hornady MicroJust Seating Stem

My main concern is that repeatability is consistant after the Microjust stem has been moved from one die to another and back again.

Any feedback concerning this component is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old January 13, 2010, 05:53 PM   #2
dfe2240

I go back and forth between 9mm and .40 cal and haven't had any problems with repeatability. Obviously you have to re-establish the desired position in each die after you switch, but should do that even if you were to remove the adjuster and reinstall it in the same die. I don't rely on the adjuster readings as absolute indicators of seating position, I start with a "too high" position and adjust until I get the desired overall length (seating depth). I have found it to be reliable in that regard-- when you turn the stem an indicated amount, the cartridge length changes by that amount.
Old January 14, 2010, 01:04 AM   #3
Dannyl

Keep a few "dummies "

Hi,
I reload for several calibers, and for some calibers I use different bullets (rifle and handguns).
What I do is: once I am happy with a certain load I make a few dummies (case and bullet, no primer nor powder) and keep them in a labbleled tray.
when I am about to load a batch of each bullet, I use a dummy to adjust the seating die so that it goes back to precisely the setting that I want.

Brgds,

Danny
Old January 14, 2010, 10:15 AM   #4
Pongo

Thanks for the responses.

Anyone have any bad experiences with these?

Yes the dummy rounds were the way I used to do this, but after 30+ years I find I have too many. As I have a few Hornady die sets this microjust stem looks like it may be the answer.

I do have a Lyman Bench rest die set for .222 rem and that has worked very well for me for a number of years. I like the ability to adjust the seating of bullets in very small increments and then be able to duplicate what works best with comparative ease. The Hornady system, hopefully, would take care of the other rifles I load for.
Old January 14, 2010, 04:57 PM   #5
flashhole

I'm in the Danny dummy camp too, that sounds kind of funny. I have the micrometer stem on 4 different sets of dies. I don't use the scribe marks or indicators for absolute measurements, just ease of use.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old January 14, 2010, 11:58 PM   #6
Dannyl

Quote:
I'm in the Danny dummy camp too
Sounds funny indeed, had me laughing nicely (No, I did not take offense)

Cheers,

Danny
Old January 15, 2010, 07:09 PM   #7
wncchester

"My main concern is that repeatability is consistant after the Microjust stem has been moved from one die to another"

There is no such repeatable/swapping consistancy with that seating stem.