The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 18, 2005, 12:47 PM   #1
CB3

Sweaty palms

Another thread mentioned a concern with sweaty palms and operating a gun in a high stress situation. While this could possibly be a concern if you had more than a few seconds in such a situation to get your palms wet, there are other reasons your palms could be wet besides sweat--water, rain, blood, grease/dirt/mud, etc.

There are grip enhancers out there that can improve polymer or wood grip checkering, but many dislike using them. Generally, grip enhancers are more comfortable than stock grips on a gun, and they can even reduce felt or perceived recoil somewhat. If they also overcome the problem of a slippery grip, that can be advantageous for a fighting gun.

Most of them don't look as good as stock or other custom grips. Some make the grip larger, which can be a problem. Others can interfere with a smooth draw from concealment, although I personally have never experienced it since my hand is covering the grip when drawing the gun.

There are rubber slip-ons, skateboard tape (Ouch?), and my personal favorite (no affiliation), the AGrip, an elastic/cloth that fills all the requirements and looks pretty good. It has custom cut patterns for home application on most popular guns, and even some interesting colors. It helps improve the feel of the polymer .40's I carry concealed.

http://www.brookstactical.com/

What do the rest of you think of these devices, and what is your experience with them?

CB3
Old January 20, 2005, 11:48 AM   #2
Arc Angel

First, I've already been there. It ain't possible to hold onto anything plastic with liquid all over your hands.

Second, I keep high quality skateboard tape on the grip panels of my Glock for exactly this reason. I love this stuff, cut it out myself, and have had absolutely no problem using it. Skateboard tape adds nothing to the frame's width, doesn't chafe my shirts, and holds the pistol tightly against my palm. I'd recommend this material to anyone who might ever have to use a pistol defensively.