The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 19, 2024, 05:00 PM   #1
KBP75

Aliant Sport Pistol reloading powder

Does anyone have experience with this powder reloading .40 S&W 180 gr Bullets? Couldn't find my usual Power Pistol powder and would like to know if this will work. Not much reloading date on this powder in my books! Thanks!
Old April 19, 2024, 06:24 PM   #2
Nick_C_S

What is the purpose of the ammunition you intend to load?

I don't have experience with Sport Pistol; but, I have a lot of experience with Power Pistol. Judging by Alliant's description, I would guess that Sport Pistol's burn rate is a good deal faster than Power Pistol. If such is the case, I doubt if it'll do whatever your intended purpose is - assuming your use of Power Pistol is proper.

180 grain bullets are "heavy for caliber," as the expression goes. Using Sport Pistol may indicate dropping to a 165. Again, speculating at bit.

I know that Alliant sure wants us all to buy Sport Pistol. They are definitely pushing it. I believe it is available at my LGS's too (but so is PP). It's probably economical to produce, so the profit margin is broad. Just a guess.
Old May 1, 2024, 11:23 PM   #3
Marco Califo

+1 on Nick's post, but plated 155 gr would be better. Sport Pistol is a target competition (fast) powder. I looked at SP load data, and "passed". Longshot will handle the 180's.