The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old January 28, 2001, 09:02 PM   #1
USP45

I'm sure that this topic has been discussed in the past but i was hoping to get some new ideas.

It seems like every day there is another jurisdiction that is tightening yet the restrictions on our gun rights. Case and point are the calls for even more gun control in California and Massachusetts.

For example, after watching what happen with the price of handguns in Massachusetts (Glock 27 going from $400 to $700 in the last 11 months) i am on the fast track to finding the money to purchase an AR-15 and an M1A in the next year. Not because i think i can turn around and sell them for a huge profit, but because i don't want to have to pay $2500 or $3000 for a friggin rifle. (It's against my religion to sell any firearm or longarm...)

Furthermore, i am fully convinced that i'll be in for a legal battle to maintain my current Massachsuetts Class "A" CCW permit when i have to renew it in 3 years. Infact, i wouldn't be surprised if CCW was outlawed altogether by then.

So what do we do?

Well, i sent in the first payment on my GOAL life membership this month. By the end of the year, i'll be a "Sustaining Member" to the Gun Owner's Action Leage (the Massachusetts branch of the NRA.) Next year it will be the GOA and the NRA... and so on and so forth until i'm a life member of every pro-gun group i can find.

Right now i'm and annual member of the Braintree Rifle and Pistol Club and i'm going to become a member of another club (perhapse Bass River, or Wayland.) This is important because not only do we gun owners need to protect ourselves, but we need to protect the places (though few they are) that we can go to shoot. Otherwise, i'll have to fly out to Wyoming every time i want to burn through 50 rnds of .45ACP. Gun clubs need money just as bad as pro-gun lobbying groups.

I'm looking into funding some of COA's ads in some Massachusetts news papers (anyone from Massachusetts want to spend some money with me?)

Lately i've been writing about once a month to the editors of various newspapers, i've been calling into some radio programs to quell the lies that i've heard. I've written nearly everyone in Local and State Guvmint ad nosium(sp?). Oddly enough my State Senator turns out to be a pro-gun Dem.

But i'm worried about other problems...

As i mentioned, i'm convinced that i'll be facing a legal battle to try to preserve my CCW license; i'm sure that "i don't have a good reason to have one". This year i hope to take LFI-1 hoping this will look favorable for me in front of a judge as i sue to preserve my license.

Further, i'll assuradly need to fund this legal battle and i'm considering this in my current financial portfolio. Unless there is some sort of class-action over gun rights, we can all forget about NRA, GOA, et. al. funding legal efforts to preserve our rights; they are barking dogs, nothing more.

Another problem, has anyone considered what to do if your friend, neighbor or someone in your area has to use a firearm in self defense? Do you know of some pro-gun lawyers in your area? Should you/i make contact with a pro-gun attorney simply to dicuss these issues? Do you know of pro-gun media persons who may be able to publish a sympathetic story about the plight of the intended victim? We spend so much time figuring out how to be prepaired in order to have lethal means available to protect ourselves, how do we go about fighting the legal and media wars that will follow?

I'm really in the middle of my thoughts on this topic (and slightly distracted by the flu i'm suffering from right now ) so i'll leave it and add some more to this later...

Anyone know a good pro-gun attorney in Massachusetts who doesn't mind talking about stuff, "just in case" ?

Anyone know a good pro-gun investment plan or vehicle that performs close to the S&P500?

"[Even if there would be] few tears shed if and when the Second Amendment is held to guarantee nothing more than the state National Guard, this would simply show that the Founders were right when they feared that some future generation might wish to abandon liberties that they considered essential, and so sought to protect those liberties in a Bill of Rights. We may tolerate the abridgement of property rights and the elimination of a right to bear arms; but we should not pretend that these are not reductions of rights." -- Justice Scalia 1998