The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 21, 2008, 07:41 AM   #1
Jack O Spades

reloading .45-120

has anyone ever reloaded the .45-120? Im looking into picking up an 1874 sharps replica, the Quigley rifle, yeah you know the one Im talking about. Anyway the ammo for that is over $6 a round. I could take a kick in the "you-know-whats" once for a 20 round box at $125 as long as theyre reloadable. Would this take the same bullet as the .45 colt? I dont have a recipe book or anything and Im not sure on the actual measurement of the bullet itself in thousandths. Actually I guess I should try to find dies for it before I worry about what bullet will fit. Im just a beginner at reloading, in fact I dont even have a brass ammo press yet, just a shotgun press and its an antique. I bought it at an auction because I thought it would look cool in my gun room, and it does, but now Im starting to learn how to use it. After the holidays Im going to buy an RCBS single stage press kit to get me started and go from there. Any tips would be appreciated
Old December 21, 2008, 08:16 AM   #2
GoldenRoyBoy

Now we're talking!!!

The 45-120; what can I say? I simply love the caliber. I own a LoneStar Rolling Blocker, and a Sharps in this caliber. Both are tack drivers.

I recommend Trail Boss powder; keeping your charges mild. 1200 fps is really all you need. Personally, I stay away from black powders; and their substitutes.

Brass?
You will have problems finding some. Check with C. Sharps & Shiloh Sharps. Both companies usually keep a few on hand. Buffalo Arms has them too. Expect to pay over $2 per piece. Do not buy any used brass from anyone. The last time I checked, Starline didn't offer any brass for the 45-120.

No, the 45-LC is a smaller bullet (452-454 dia.); your 45-120 requires a .458 dia. You'll eventually wish to consider casting your own; as well as reloading them. 405 grain is an excellent bullet choice.

You must invest in a good reloading manual. Accurate Powders has a good one. Lyman has a good one also.

Don't bother with a conventional reloading press; consider one designed for the 50BMG. The length of the 45-120 (3.73 inches) makes reloading them a little trying, useing conventional presses. I own a Redding Boss. I do reload the 45-120 on it; but it requires patience. The thing about the BMG type presses, useing die adapters, you can still reload most all other calibers.

Dies will cost you in the $40 range new. Lyman and RCBS are excellent choices.

Lastly, do not be intimidated by the 45-120. With proper reloads, it's a joy to shoot. Venier and globe sights are a must have.

I came back to add:
You must also invest in a good chronograph. Do not reload; or at least shoot any reloads without the benefit of a chronograph.
You'll be doing everything blind, if you do. You can purchase several different brands for around $100. I personally use The Pro-Chrono; available at Midway for $99.99.

Have fun! But, be careful!
GRB

Last edited by GoldenRoyBoy; December 21, 2008 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old December 21, 2008, 09:16 AM   #3
Jim Watson

I'll give you the same advice I gave the other guy. Read a book. You need a general reloading manual like the Lyman that Roy mentions, maybe 'The ABCs of Reloading' and something really for the Sharps like Mike Venturino's 'Shooting the Buffalo Rifles.'

Maybe Roy will share some of his "recipes" with you. The .45 x 3 1/4" is generally considered to be harder to load with smokeless than the shorter rounds. The best load I ever heard of was 106 grains of Fg black and a 540 grain soft cast bullet.