The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 3, 2015, 02:16 PM   #1
reinert

Soule tang sight history

Hello forum folks,

Can anyone shed some light regarding a bit of history on the soule tang sight? When did they come on the shooting scene back in "the day?" Sure would appreciate some education on that. I believe they were too late for use during the buffalo hunting days. (?)

Thanks for reading,

reinert
Old June 3, 2015, 02:58 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Tang sights with micrometer adjustments were around at least by the 1870s. They have may been around as early as the 1850s (I'm trying to check my books on the English). I know they were on some Sharps Rifles and the British competition shooter made widespread use of them. Let me see if I can find my book on sights.
Old June 3, 2015, 04:12 PM   #3
reinert

4V50 G,

I believe the Vernier tang sight was around before the 1870's, but when did the windage adjustable tang sight (on the base or aperture staff unit) come on the scene? Even more so, when did the Soule tang sight with all that adjustable windage that's so popular today come on the scene? Thanks for the research on the topic. I'm looking too.

reinert
Old June 4, 2015, 02:24 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

In Dr. W. G. Hudson's 1903 book, Modern Rifle Shooting From the American Standpoint, there is on pages 44 and 47 some text and an illustration.
Quote:
"In fig 10. are shown various kinds of target sights. In most of these, lateral movement is made with the front sight. But H. M. Pope, (Fig. 10, a) and the Remington Arms Company, both make remarkably good rear sights for fine target shooting that have both vertical and lateral movements...."
The illustration is on page 47.

In Manual of Rifling and Rifle Sights
by Lt. Col. Viscount Bury, the illustration on page 29 (illustration 17) does show a tang rear sight that is screw adjustable for windage. Published in London, Bury's booklet is dated 1864.

Bury's book is proof that such sights were available. Whether any were actually mounted on a buffalo gun is speculation. I suppose that one could always order the sight from a gunsmith and have it installed, but you'll have to find store records and receipts. Suggest you contact the Cody Museum and ask their curators. The curators at the National Firearms Museum in Fairfax may also be able to answer your question.
Old June 4, 2015, 02:27 PM   #5
Jim Watson

The first wind gauge adjustable sights were front sights, leaving the rear with nothing but elevation. I don't know when the first wind gauge rear sights came along, but the actual Soule with horizontal drum at the base of the tang sight staff was designed in the late 1880s.
Old June 4, 2015, 02:36 PM   #6
reinert

Thanks very much for the information, guys, I do appreciate it. I was thinking the Soule might have been a bit late for the buffalo hunting era.

reinert