The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 14, 2002, 08:56 PM   #1
JesusCow

SKS loading question

ok, so when i want to use the fixed magazine, do i have to use a stripper clip and load from the top? like this?

is that how the fixed magazine is used? or can you load each round into the magazine individually?

thanks
-willie

EDIT: SKS owners... do you use a detachable magazine or do you use the fixed one with stripper clips?
Old February 14, 2002, 09:01 PM   #2
Bob Locke

You could load each round individually, but that would put your fingers in a couple of places that you probably ought not have them.

The picture you posted is the proper, safe method for loading an SKS.
Old February 14, 2002, 09:04 PM   #3
JesusCow

i see, ok

thanks, anyone else have opinions?
-willie
Old February 14, 2002, 09:12 PM   #4
jjmorgan64

I do both

Just don't push that little block down, or that could hurt.

You can also open the mag from the bottom and drop em in, this works but is kind of a pain in the tail.

JM
Old February 14, 2002, 09:38 PM   #5
JesusCow

like this?

Old February 14, 2002, 10:25 PM   #6
Jamie Young

I've never caught My fingers in an SKS while loading it. I think they're Dandy little rifles.
Old February 14, 2002, 10:54 PM   #7
hksigwalther

The little block that JM is talking about is the bolt stop that is activated by the follower in the mag. As long as you don't knock it down or don't knock the bolt back (which would allow the stop the drop), you should be OK loading the mad from the top one round at a time. I've never tried to load the mag from the bottom with the mag hinged down as it seems to be more difficult than it's worth to do so. Why bother? IMO, I think the trap door is there just to unload and not as a means to load.
Old February 15, 2002, 07:36 PM   #8
WilderBill

Either strippers or individually works just fine. Never got M 1 thumb outside of an M 1.
If you keep a banoleer of loaded strippers as a SHTF precaution, be sure to "rotate the stock" as the steel case ammo will rust and/or stick to the steel stripers over time.
One handy idea I picked up here at TFL is to take a fired case, add a little lapping or polishing compound in the extractor grove and run it from one end of the stripper to the other a few times while rotating it. Makes for a quicker, easier reload with less chance of stripping. Be sure to clean out ALL the gritty compound when you get through polishing.

Support those who support us.
Old February 15, 2002, 08:02 PM   #9
uglygun

I've never gotten a "Garand Thumb" from loading singles into my SKS.

I have how ever gotten "SKS Finger" but it isn't what you'd think it is, it IS NOT from loading the gun and having the bolt squash your thumb flat.

To me, "sks finger" happens when you try to get that darned little cleaning kit out of your buttstock trapdoor and you've never done it before, you'll stick your finger in there and the first few times you'll get it out just fine. Problem is that one day you'll push your finger down a little too far and the darned cleaning kit will slide up over your finger nail trapping it between the cleaning kit and the trapdoor, until you rip your finger out of there you'll have an entire rifle dangling from your finger while you rant and cuss worse than a sailor. Oh yeah, SKS Finger, somebody here will know precisely what I'm talking about. What's more I bet we've got a few members who were just like me and thought they were smart enough to not let it happen to them more than once, I thought I'd be smart enough to learn from that one experience but I'll be darned if it happened 2 or 3 more times.