The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old August 24, 2005, 12:05 PM   #26
chris in va

Mmm...45...mmm.
Old August 24, 2005, 12:28 PM   #27
Davy Jones

that would be interesting... I wish kel tec would make a .45 version of their carbine too.
Old August 24, 2005, 03:38 PM   #28
don't shoot it's me

I just ordered one so I could respond to this thread...can you guys keep it going for 10 days? Thanks...
Old August 24, 2005, 09:49 PM   #29
usmc smiley

hi point 45

i have the 45 acp to big to pack and heavy..but never ftf or fte in over 2500 rounds, good gun good price how can you not like it. ps. it feeds hollow points and ball jest fine. my first post how am i doing.
Old August 25, 2005, 02:17 AM   #30
CajunBass

Quote:
my first post how am i doing.
Just fine to my way of thinking.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old August 25, 2005, 10:56 PM   #31
Dtron

Another carbine only owner. I just got it and shot it last week and really enjoyed it. No jams or anything. I've added the muzzle compensator and have ordered a 15 round mag that will hopefully arrive before I go to the range again Saturday.
Old August 25, 2005, 11:47 PM   #32
RedRiver

What I expected...

Just as I expected. Everyone who owns one likes it. Already on a seperate thread today someone was bashing it that had never shot it! I thank everyone for their responses. Keep responding!
Old August 28, 2005, 12:03 AM   #33
strange246

I'm another carbine owner, over 5,000 rounds through it, cleaned maybe 3 times, with a cheap 4x scope it's one of my favorite guns....Never had trouble....One thing I've heard alot of though, stay away from the Promag Magazines, tend to jam things up...

https://home.comcast.net/~72demon/
Old August 29, 2005, 12:08 AM   #34
Toney

bought c9 for my youngest girl to shoot she did't realy like shooting the 45
i did't know that they were blowbacks . she liked shooting the 45 better
other than the very sharp recoil it was a very good gun trigger was as good
as some pistols costing much much much more ! we shot hundreds of rounds
of the 11 $ stuff from wal-mart only had two nose dives i think i got sand
in it picking up brass . traded it for my "first" endfield n1 m3 . would like to
shoot the 45 seen one for 125
Old September 2, 2005, 09:22 AM   #35
Toney

Traded for the 45 yesterday. shot 60 fairly hot cast rounds. barrel bearly leaded. very accurate. trigger better then one on c9. felt like a strong bump rather then a sharp rap. very pleased even wife likes shooting this one.
Old September 2, 2005, 07:59 PM   #36
Te Anau

I have a compensated 9mm handgun.Does it work---great--YES! Is it accurate?--far more than any gun in its price range has a right to be.It also fits my hand like a glove.I'm keepin mine.
Old September 2, 2005, 10:23 PM   #37
kozak6

I have the carbine. It hasn't been very reliable lately, but that's because I haven't taken the time to take it apart and clean and oil it properly. All Hi-Points are real bears to get apart, keep that in mind.

If you are thinking about a pistol, I would suggest picking up a nice ALL STEEL CZ52 or a Bulgarian Makarov instead.
Old September 3, 2005, 11:05 AM   #38
Te Anau

Quote:
If you are thinking about a pistol, I would suggest picking up a nice ALL STEEL CZ52 or a Bulgarian Makarov instead.
Neither of which is available in 9x19,.40S&W or .45acp
Old September 3, 2005, 11:37 AM   #39
CajunBass

Quote:
Both of which, at least around here will cost you at least as much if not more than a Hi-Point. I've only seen one CZ52, that was used, and the dealer was asking the same price for it as I paid for my Hi-Point, 9mm.

I paid more for my Makarov than I did for my Hi-Point, and it of course isn't a 9mm either. Ammo for it in stores around here costs $14-21.00 a box, for FMJ. Hollow Points are more. I can order it off the net for a lot less of course, but I think that's a pain in the butt myself. I can walk into Wally World and buy 9mm for less.

Do they work better? I don't know about the CZ52, I've never shot one, but I admit my Makarov is a shooting little gun. It has never malfunctioned with Wolf or Fiocchi FMJ ammo, which is all I've ever shot in it, and it is VERY accurate. You won't hear me say anything bad about a Mak, other than the local ammo costs.

On the other hand, my Hi-Point has only jammed twice in about 1000 rounds, and it shoots better than I can. A couple of the 9mm carbines are way up on my list of "wants" now.
Old September 5, 2005, 08:17 PM   #40
hksigwalther

Quote:
I wanted to know the same thing. So I bought one. (C-9, 9mm) I like it. It works. I think they're a bargain.
Same here except with a C-9 Comp.
Old September 25, 2005, 01:07 AM   #41
newcastlejudo

I bought my first gun yesterday. I picked the .40 s & W Hi point carbine. I shot it today. It was the 1st time I fired since leaving the Army in '95. At 25-50yrds I was hitting head shots and center shots. I love the sight. If I can Hit the target I know Momma can. My buddy also shot it (he shoots often) . He was surprised how accurate it was. I shot 100 rounds with no issues. It felt sturdy to me. I am happy ! It had a good pop to it too. Some good power to it too. I paid about $220 (with tax) and will buy another. One for everyone in the family (eventually) . The gun shop owner actually had good things to say about the .45 cal hand gun. Are they really comming out with a .45 cal carbine? I do wish I can find a higher capacity magazine for it.
Old September 25, 2005, 02:28 AM   #42
denfoote

I'll be damned!!

From what I'm reading here, maybe those things have gotten better!!
I had one in about 85 or 86 (I don't remember which it was any more). It turned out to be the most dangerous piece of crap I ever owned!! Jams everywhere!! But the kicker was the slamfire!! Good thing I was out in the desert when it happened!! It got dismantled and buried that day!!

Would I buy another one?? I might, but I think I'd buy the carbine first!!
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old September 25, 2005, 05:44 AM   #43
CajunBass

Maybe somebody can tell me. Is there a difference in the carbine and the handgun? It looks to me like the carbine is just the handgun with a longer barrel and a stock?
Old September 25, 2005, 11:07 PM   #44
RedRiver

I guess...

I guess they're the same but I don't know for sure. I don't own the carbine. I own the C9 9mm. It hasn't jammed once. It's accuracy is so good it's creepy. Go figure.
Old September 26, 2005, 10:38 AM   #45
308Enfield

I have a 9mm carbine and a .45 pistol - the newer polymer framed one, I bought both NIB. The carbine came first and is great fun. I haven't put a lot of rounds through it, but from what shooting I have done with it its fun, accurate, and I haven't had any problems.

The .45 is good mechanically, certainly not a combat-ready kind of handgun, but a long way from being junk either. The catch I've run into and heard from others is that Hi-Point mags SUCK! :barf: I had to modify mine with a pair of pliers to get to feed and I understand that its a common problem. If you get one of their handguns I'd say be prepared to do some magazine tweaking to get it to work properly.
Old September 26, 2005, 11:41 AM   #46
gb_in_ga

Ya know, I've been thinking about getting a cheap-o 9mm pistol just for range & plinking use, and I could care less about the looks or the "studly" factor. Maybe a Hi-Point would do.

And it hadn't even dawned on me to consider one of those Hi-Point carbines as a SHTF/truck gun, of which I'd been looking to get as well. What do ya'll think of it as a SHTF/truck gun? How durable and reliable is it? Can it hit something out at 100 yards with stock iron sights? I assume so, if coke can plinking at 50 yards is doable.

If they actually work as ya'll say they do, there might be a couple of Hi-Points in my future, even if they are a hassle to clean. There's lots to say for cheap and functional.
Old September 26, 2005, 02:38 PM   #47
Crosshair

How does a person tell how old their Hi-Point carbine is? (9mm) I bought mine used and I am good out to 100 yds with open sights. (I want to put a scope on it.) The Promag 15 round mags are NOT worth it. (I have 3 of them) I have gotten them to work, but they need to be tweaked and are only good for about 12 rounds tops, though this may be because mine is probably an older one. Just get several 10 round mags.

With any Hi-Point mag you need to whack it so the bullets seat right. If you don't it will work most of the time, but a good whack with each mag makes everything work 100%.
Old September 26, 2005, 05:49 PM   #48
Pietro Beretta

The Hi-Point. The C-9. www.mkssupply.com

*The Bad*
Its Bulky, It doesn’t fit my had well, its heavy for a poly gun, it’s ugly, You have to drift pins to strip it, inside machining is very rough, Trigger pull sucks, does not feed hollow points reliably at all, magazine is a bit cheap when loading I have to pay attention to make sure the final rounds nose is pointed up, and not down. (as long as the final round in the magazine is pointed up, I have no problems)

The Good
It costs 130$ out the door, I have never had a failure to extract, you can toss the gun around and not feel bad about it, it is very accurate. Customer service is great, 100% lifetime warranty even if your not the orginal purchaser

Do I like my Hi-Point C-9. Yes, Yes I do for what it is, a inexpensive plinking gun.

However since I have gotten my XD and CZ, and "inherited" my beretta and colt revolver, the hi point doesn’t get used at all.

Last edited by Pietro Beretta; September 28, 2005 at 06:51 PM.
Old September 26, 2005, 08:34 PM   #49
junkman6970

Hi-Point

I have had my C-9 Pistol for over a year now, I liked the price, It would stove pipe in the beginning and then I called the factory and they sent me out a new heavy spring and a firing pin and it does shoot good, I got my CCW permit with it. I carry it in my vehicle and in my home. I will get the carbine in a little while.
Old September 27, 2005, 05:27 AM   #50
Ignition

owned my 9mm carbine for over a year and i love it.

200yards im hitting steel on every shot

25 yards and im almost punching the same hole every time
50 yards and im touching holes usually on the 10ring

i love the ghost ring sights on it

reliable, no real hopes at a high capacity double stack mag because of the handle internals and styling

havent looked at the high end mags.

i did cut some inches of the front of my stock then using parts of the cut pieces and some plastic bondo i was able to shorten the hand grip and use a barrel mount to mount a light underneath, instead of adding an even more ugly compensator to the end of it.

but if anything else... for the prices and the BEST WARRANTY ever... plus great customer serivce from an American Made gun(ohio) i really dont see why you couldnt just pick one up... i mean whats 1 more gun when it really could cost you less than 3 weeks worth of ammunition is you like to shot alot

lets push for legislation to ban toe-nail clippers because airports believe they are deadly

a 9mm is really just a .45 set on stun

KEEP YOUR BOOGER HOOK OFF THE BANG SWITCH OF A GLOCK!
~~~~~~~~~~
from MAFIA INFORMANT SAMMY "THE BULL" GRAVANO
Quote:
"Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have
nothing. If I'm a bad guy, I'm always gonna have a gun."
Closed Thread