The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 4, 2010, 09:24 AM   #1
geoman458

Ruger 77/22 Magazine Issue

I am having problems getting my Ruger 77/22 to release the magazine form the gun. It's at least extremely hard to depress the release mechanism and sometimes have had to use the butt end of a screwdriver handle to get it to release. Is this a known problem? Is there a fix or an adjustment that I can make? Does this rifle need professional attention? One other fact when the magazine is not installed the release mechanism appears to work fine.
Old May 4, 2010, 09:47 AM   #2
Pahoo

The "Practicals", you can do yourself. The "Particulars" is may be another matter. Try a different magazine. Also see if there is a little bit of play when the magazine in in place. if not, you may not be clearing the magazine release plunger. This could be caused by dirt or the extend range of the plunger. It might also be cause by the magazine as well. Take a little bit of extra time to observe what is happening. I have not seen this problems on the 77's but have seen it on the 10/22's. Both are simular in operation.

Be Safe !!!
Old May 4, 2010, 09:57 AM   #3
geoman458

Thanks for the insight, I'll try different magazines and see if it makes any difference
Old May 4, 2010, 11:30 AM   #4
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
IIs it possible that the action screws are over torqued ?
Old May 4, 2010, 11:58 AM   #5
Scorch

Check to see if the magazine binds in the magazine well. This could be due to dirt, a burr, etc.

Also check that the release lever is working freely and is retracting the latch far enough. You can see this by taking the action out of the stock and working the mag release.

The tip of the mag release lever operates the mag latch plunger. Since it is made out of plastic, it is possible to damage it by forcing it. The tip of the mag release may be worn or damaged by someone hitting the release with a screwdriver . . .

Quote:
Not likely, the magazine well on the 77/22 is integral with the action.
Old May 4, 2010, 11:59 AM   #6
geoman458

Please explain and I'll try to answer the question if I can
Old May 4, 2010, 12:14 PM   #7
geoman458

The mags fine no binding. The gun was used but in excellent condition when I bought it. Don't know if previous owner had problems with this or not
Old May 4, 2010, 12:17 PM   #8
geoman458

Also check that the release lever is working freely and is retracting the latch far e

Can this be disassembled and examined?
Old May 4, 2010, 12:37 PM   #9
Pahoo

Quote:
Can this be disassembled and examined?
Absotively and user freindly.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=0.../77_22___77_17

Quote:
Is it possible that the action screws are over torqued ?
He has to be refering to the front and rear takedown screws. This "might" cause binding which you already stated that you don't have. Looks like the plunger is not releasing the mag. Go back and observe it's operation. Listen to the rifle as it will indicate where the problem is. Check to see if perhaps you are catching on the mag liner.

Be Safe !!!
Old May 4, 2010, 04:30 PM   #10
jaguarxk120

Please note that there are two (2) different magazine's. The 77 uses one and the 10/22 uses a diferent one. They look the same but there are minor differences between the two. You may have the wrong one for the gun.
Old May 4, 2010, 05:03 PM   #11
Scorch

I think jaguarxk120 may have hit on the answer. Are you trying to use 10/22 mags? They are not the same as 77/22 mags.
Old May 4, 2010, 07:14 PM   #12
jaguarxk120

One problem is the 77/22 magazine is part no. JX-1, and the 10/22 magazine is part number BX-1. I can see no difference between the two!!! They will both interchange from the 10/22 and the 77/22. I have tried on my own rifles.

The magazine release may need some cleaning or a touch of oil so it will work a bit smoother.
Old May 4, 2010, 08:12 PM   #13
Pahoo

For the most part, functionally they are the same but visually they are different and it all has to do with the contour of the stock. The 77, has a flat bottom and the 10/22 is rounded. If you install a 10/22 in the 77 well the base stick further up into the well. The countours are just not the same. They may function well but look like crap. Still waiting for geoman458 to confirm what magazine is in the well ...

Be Safe !!!
Old May 4, 2010, 09:08 PM   #14
PetahW

FWIW, I have both a 10/22 (three, really) and a 77/22 - and have used the magazines interchangeably between all my rifles for over 20 years w/o any issues.

While the bottoms of the mags have different contours, it has nothing to do with latching and/or feeding, since the bodies are otherwise identical.

What DOES cause 77/22 magzine latching problems is that when the action is removed from the stock, and the trigger guard/bottom metal removed, it's possible to get the magazine opening too tight or too loose, due to slack/slop in the fit when re-installing the bottom metal and tightening the bottom screws.

I would suggest you slightly loosen one bottom screw, shift the TG away from the magazine slightly, and retighten the screw.
Redux as required, trying the same or other screw, until the latch functions normally. (presuming there's no latch wear or breakage, i.e.)

Old May 5, 2010, 07:54 AM   #15
geoman458

Guys thank you for all your help. Last night I disassembled the trigger guard assembly and discovered that the magazine latch lever and plunger are in fact metal not plastic. It appeared to me and felt that the plunger was dragging and catching in the bore of the trigger guard. So I took some 400 grit wet/dry paper and polished the od of the plunger until I felt it slide in and out without hanging up. I only removed a minute amount of the bluing on the plunger. I also touched the corners of the bore to make the entrance smoother. Re-assembled the rifle and it was better but not quite good enough for me. So I repeated the previous steps. Now the 3 magazines I tried release easy. I also discovered during this rework that 2 of the 3 magazines had center screws that were too tight, the rotor was stuck and cartridges were falling out. I backed off the screw 1/8 turn. That relieved enough tension to allow the rotor to apply enough pressure to hold the cartridges in place in the magazine without falling out.

Reagrding the magazines, mine are all specifically for the m77/22 not 10/22. When I bought the extra mags I was particular in the model I bought. Again thanks for the abundant help. Couldn't have done it without you guys.