The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 19, 2023, 06:14 AM   #1
NHSHOOTER

powder throwers

In your opinion what is the most reliable and accurate powder thrower for stick and ball powders?
Old March 19, 2023, 08:18 AM   #2
mehavey

Harrells' when price is no object (I have two/used constantly)
Add to that positive/easily-repeatable micrometer settings for different powers/loads

Last edited by mehavey; March 19, 2023 at 08:37 AM.
Old March 19, 2023, 02:34 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

I've been using the RCBS Uniflow for the past 50 years or so. Works fine for me.

Accuracy depends on the uniformity of user, understanding the right way to operate it, and that the markings are just general, not exactly what the measure throws with every different powder possible.

If I need charge weight accuracy down to a tenth of a grain, I'm weighing each charge anyway.
Old March 19, 2023, 03:09 PM   #4
Marco Califo

I like my RCBS Chargemaster Combo. It weighs each charge, and tells me if it goes over. Charge the case and it auto repeats. I like the Lyman 55 and use the Lee PPM and use them sometimes, but they do not incorporate weighing each charge in front of me.

Last edited by Marco Califo; March 19, 2023 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Fix
Old March 19, 2023, 04:05 PM   #5
stagpanther

Since I started loading 22lr I needed a precision scale with .01 grain accuracy. Because I'm a bit of an OCD type, I use it for all my charge loading now--for bigger cartridges I'll start with a conventional RCBS chargemaster powder dispenser to within a half grain and finish the load on the scale with hand-trickling. Probably a waste of time; simply makes me feel better.

Last edited by stagpanther; March 20, 2023 at 09:14 AM.
Old March 19, 2023, 05:46 PM   #6
mehavey

If we're talking any means to get powder "thrown", then the Chargemaster as discussed above.
Old March 19, 2023, 06:44 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

NHSHOOTER,

For stick powders, hands down, my choice is the JDS Quick Measure. It is a bit odd to adjust and takes getting get used to, but they guarantee stick powder charges within 0.2 grains, and I've never seen mine go outside that limit, and it usually stays within 0.1 grains as long as it is firmly mounted. The only thing that will throw weight more precisely is an electronic dispensing unit, but anytime I've found a good load, it has proven insensitive to a couple of tenths of a grain of variation. I only weigh during load development.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 19, 2023, 07:04 PM   #8
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I've been using the RCBS Uniflow for the past 50 years or so. Works fine for me.
Only 39 years here.
Old March 19, 2023, 09:42 PM   #9
Nathan

It’s real simple. Powder dispensers are the only way to “throw” stick powders. I’m no expert, but I would guess factory ammo is all dispensed over a scale, when using stick powders.
Old March 19, 2023, 09:49 PM   #10
GeauxTide

I used a Uniflow for 40 years. Upgraded to an RCBS ChargeMaster a couple of years ago and sorry I didn't do it sooner. Fabulous piece of gear.
Old March 20, 2023, 01:14 AM   #11
44 AMP
Staff

Being a dinosaur (or at least an Ice Age mammal) all my reloading gear is capable of being fully functional without electricity.

I'm "green" that way...
Old March 20, 2023, 05:08 AM   #12
stagpanther

Quote:
Being a dinosaur (or at least an Ice Age mammal) all my reloading gear is capable of being fully functional without electricity.
Oh yeah?

I mine sulfer, charcoal and salt peter.

in the snow.
In the dark.
barefoot.

then measure them out and grind them down with mammoth bones.

beat that!
Old March 20, 2023, 06:07 AM   #13
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
Oh yeah?

I mine sulfer, charcoal and salt peter.

in the snow.
In the dark.
barefoot.

then measure them out and grind them down with mammoth bones.

beat that!
Don’t forget walking uphill in the snow both ways.
Old March 20, 2023, 07:22 AM   #14
stagpanther

Quote:
Don’t forget walking uphill in the snow both ways.
Walk? I keep it authentic and crawl on all 4's. People are lazy these days.
Old March 20, 2023, 07:49 AM   #15
jaguarxk120

Look at the many reloading forums, then pick the thrower/measure that no one
has problems with.

One of the measure's that people do not ask about is Lyman 55. they just work!
Old March 20, 2023, 08:35 AM   #16
old roper

I have one. When I was shooting BR we loaded at the match and when I quit shooting BR I use it for my varmint rifles. It's over 40yrs old. My RCBS is over 50yrs old. I have adapter for RCBS and I use same drop tubes in both.
NRA Life Member
Old March 20, 2023, 09:09 AM   #17
stagpanther

Quote:
Lyman 55
Uhhh...I have one; mine kinda sorta worked well as long as you are scrupulous about cleaning them well, I found that residue tended to get into the measuring system (sometimes acted as a grinder as you turn the crank) stem and knock it out of whack. Too much friggin with the riggin for my tastes.
Old March 20, 2023, 05:35 PM   #18
RoyceP

I have a Lyman 55 and find it to be accurate.

What is interesting to me is that my Lee disc powder measures are equally as accurate. I used to measure the weight of every 5th charge to see how it was doing. It was very monotonous. I have been using the Lee powder measures for maybe 40 years.
Old March 20, 2023, 05:48 PM   #19
jaguarxk120

If it is too much to set up a Lyman measure, there are
sets of scoops made that you can use.
Old March 20, 2023, 06:08 PM   #20
rclark

Quote:
I'll join you around the camp fire . No electrical gear here either for reloading... Though I do somethings think of 'static' electricity at times.

I have a Hornady powder measure that seems to work great. Been in use since around 1981-82. Never found a reason to 'change'. Not much help as this is all I have .
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old March 20, 2023, 06:35 PM   #21
markr6754

Very cost effective and highly repeatable results from my Frankford Arsenal Intellidropper. I can't say it's the most accurate dispenser. I don't have any scientific scales to compare it to, but it easily records to <0.1gr...according to my Bald Eagle scale.
My Hornady powder dropper is nearly as accurate with ball powders. It chokes a bit on stick and flattened ball...such as Universal...which is the primary reason I bought the Intellidropper.
Old March 20, 2023, 07:15 PM   #22
44 AMP
Staff

There are a couple points that are usually overlooked in this kind of discussion. The first being that volumetric powder measures don't operate on weight, and the second is that for most reloading, precision down to +/- 0.1gr isn't significant.

And when it is, that's what SCALES are for...
Old March 21, 2023, 12:02 AM   #23
7.62 man

If you are wanting a accurate way to measure out a certain amount of powder the Chargemaster is the best & fastest way. If you are wanting a powder drop to handle all powders go with the Lee Perfect Powder measure. It's cheep looking but it will measure stick & rod powders better than any other powder drop because it has soft lips that doesn't need to break the rods or sticks, so it's a smooth throw of powder.
You powder drop will throw a more accurate if you leave the charge handle in the dump position until you need another charge. Keeping the handle measure position will let the powder to settle from vibrations of your loading table & will lead to erratic powder measurements.
Old March 21, 2023, 07:58 AM   #24
zeke

A uniflow for ball powders, small stick powders (and unique) without weighing every charge. When using stick powders for precision rifles, am weighing each charge. For very small powder charges, break out a Redding BR (32 and 380 acp).

Uniflow is a great powder measure, but stick powders and very small charges are not it's forte.

And like some others, prefer not to rely on electrical.
Old March 21, 2023, 08:14 AM   #25
Nathan

My Hornady is not accurate enough for me with large stick, but works well. It throws most smaller stick powders to +/- 0.2gr. It throws ball powder to around +/- 0.05gr.

It’s main failing is it leaks Enforcer! I called and they basically told me it was my fault or it could be wore out…also on me.I honestly think it is lack of fit in their design. Probably due to not being able to set tight enough machining tolerances.

It is about 20 yrs old. I wonder if they make them better now??