The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 19, 2019, 11:57 PM   #1
Bucksnort1

Russian Tul Ammo

A friend gave me 400 rounds of Russian Tul Ammo .223 with 55 grain bullets.

I am considering pulling the bullets and using them for reloading. They are 55 grains, full metal jacket and have a boat tail design. I guess you could call them hollow base bullets because there is a small cavity at the bottom with exposed lead.

Will there be any problem loading these bullets?
Old August 20, 2019, 12:27 AM   #2
DockRock

There's no issue with the bullets, per se. They are unlikely to be the most accurate bullets you will ever use, but provided they are .224" diameter or pretty darn close, they'll be fine for 100 yard shooting. Curious however as to why the effort of pulling and reloading them is worth it versus just shooting the cartridges, which will be only marginally less accurate than anything you reload with those bullets. I guess I just don't get why pulling and reloading is worth it?
Old August 20, 2019, 08:46 AM   #3
Ben Dover

Agree wirth dock. Why not just shoot the cartridges??

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old August 20, 2019, 08:55 AM   #4
m&p45acp10+1

I would save the ammo for when you know you will not be recovering the brass. I have 200 rounds just for that occasion.
Old August 20, 2019, 10:28 AM   #5
Bucksnort1

Tul

DocRock and Ben Dover,

I'm easy. I will shoot them.

I was thinking of pulling bullets because in the Sonoran Desert in Arizona, where today's high temperature will be about 113 degrees in my town (but it's a dry heat), it would give me something to do. I'm not one to head for a nearby outdoor shooting area (some people do). I can go to my garage man cave, turn on my evaporative cooler and be comfortable with what ever I am doing. Unless you have a swimming pool or access to one or you want to head for the high country, there isn't much you can do outside in temps like that.

Ben Dover, are you related to Ben Colder?